1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Aura [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by PolariT, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PolariT

PolariT New Member

Now this is to talk about the Aura in RWBY now I believe it to be a manifestation of a persons spirit allowing it to take multiple forms such as Phyrra's Polarity powers but one of my friends says it is just a shield. Now I thought this was an interesting topic. Also this is going to help out my fanfic.

2. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Impyrrial Inquisitor
    Staff Member Admin

The show has outright stated that Aura is the physical manifestation of one's soul. Aura itself can act as a shield; we've seen Ren use it to hold off a King Taijitu. We can also assume it acts as a damage dampener, seeing as Hunters-in-training train with their actual weapons without fear of being eviscerated. This would explain why spars are halted when one's Aura reaches the red, because without Aura, one runs the very real risk of having their head split open like a watermelon.

We can assume that Aura is directly related to one's Semblance, such as Pyrrha's Polarity and Weiss' Glyphs. Taking into account how Pyrrha referred to Semblances in Episode 14 we can assume that a person only gets one Semblance, so no 'multiple forms' shenanigans.

Really, the only thing we can cite as factual is that Aura is the physical manifestation of one's soul and that it can act as a shield. Everything else is up for debate.

platipi, Lady_Vossler and PolariT like this.
  3. Xlthuathopec

Xlthuathopec Active Member

It's like a forcefield!

(I had to.)

Really though, we've only seen Aura used defensively so far (Unless Glynda and Cinder were trading some explosive aura badassery), so I'm very interested to see how it could be used to attack.

KineticKaiser likes this.
  4. KineticKaiser

Staff Member Admin

I think Aura is just a supplementary ability, and can't really be used as a pure method of attack.

5. PolariT

PolariT New Member

So basically if a made a character able to project darkness around her enemies it is entirely possible within this universe based on what we know of aura and Semibalences

6. KineticKaiser

Staff Member Admin

I don't know. We have no clue how far the ability of Semblances to bend reality stretches. Semblances seem to be mostly indirect support abilities, while projecting darkness seems to be more of a direct support ability (reading this again, I might have this bit backwards). Also, I don't think shrouding a beast of darkness in darkness itself is such a hot idea.

It might be possible, we haven't been given the full lore yet, but with the few pieces we have so far I can't confidently say it is.

7. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

Since we were getting a rundown on Aura and its purpose when Ren used 'magic' to blow the Grimm's head off, I'm going to hazard a guess and say that was Aura. It would only make sense, in a storytelling fashion.

8. delfes

delfes Well-Known Member

My theory is that Ren's hit is him being a master at using Aura and he focused it offensively into RWBY's equivalent of a monk's Ki Strike.

That, or it had something to do with his semblance.

9. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

In regards to Ren, I just thought that, instead of holding the forcefield in place, he just forced it forward. Since he's strong, and nothing can penetrate a forcefield, the giant fang was forced right through the skull (and since that would've been hard to animate, the RWBY team just blew the Taijitu's black head up)

In regards to Aura, Aura seems to be the basic 'get out of jail free' card, in regards to the amount of damage they can take, without it showing, whether it be from creating a forcefield, or using it to heal (remember how Jaune's and Cardin's fight only ended once Jaune's Aura was running out? That could imply they stop most combat displays in class when it has potential to actually damage them). There hasn't really been an other usage of Aura that has been shown/acknowledged just yet.

In regards to Semblances, I'm with Kinetic, in that they are minor indirect support abilities, or 'amplifiers' of a specific stat (like how Ruby's Semblance is Speed). They aren't all powerful, uber moves, they are just small little boosts that are completely unique to each character.
    Projecting Darkness, means you are either A) Bending Light (Which is a major move), or B) Generating Darkness (Which is bending the basic laws of physics, also a major Move), which means it couldn't possibly be a semblance, based on whats been shown so far.

Remember, only 3 Semblances have actually been confirmed in canon: Pyrrha's Polarity (which isn't strong enough to actually control her weapons, just strong enough that she can direct them back to herself), Ruby's Speed (whether this is how fast she is, or her little Rose Petal burst thing, hasn't been specified), and Weiss' Glyphs (which are, effectively, just temporary platforms which Weiss uses to create more spectacular Dust 'spells').

Blake's Shadowstep, and Yang's Burning Rage, could possibly be Semblances, but they seem much to powerful to be. And since RWBY is only Season 1, its highly likely that these abilities are something that haven't actually been revealed yet.

Lady_Vossler and KineticKaiser like this.
  10. RogueVector

RogueVector Member

My take on it is that Aura seems to be the basic, default form of the energy that is later used to fuel a person's Semblance, which could/should be treated a separate but related ability. Perhaps it's like having a shield based off the mana you currently have, and if you use your semblance/cast magic, you're also spending your 'shield points'.

So EVERYONE has the basic shielding, it's just that people can then trigger a secondary active effect (Weiss' Glyphs, Pyrrha's Polarity, etc.).

Passive vs. Active:
    Aura is definitely passive, though it remains to be seen if anyone is able to 'shape' aura in a more active capacity. So far, ALL Semblances have been active, compared to the passive nature of Aura (shielding). Polarity, Glyph Magics and Shadowstep are all active abilities.

Defensive vs. Offensive:
    Aura, as a shield, is mostly defensive but I see offensive uses ('immovable object' tactics) if applied with an outside-the-box creativity. If you can 'shape' aura, then it can indeed become offensive in nature if you can shape it into a blade or even a simple bludgeon. Semblances seem to refuse that classification, so I put them down as 'Utility': rather than falling to either Defensive or Offensive, they are far more suitable towards being both. Polarity can be used defensively to get a shield where it needs to be, or to guide metallic projectiles (probably the reason why Pyrrha's so damn good at throwing things), Glyphs have been used for movement boosting, shielding/blocking as well as attacking, and Ruby's 'speed' is definitely in the utility area where it can make her that much harder to hit as well as increasing her offensive ability.