1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Aura [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by PolariT, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

Except that there is potential for it to actually be a thing.

Exhibit A) Pyrrha unlocking Jaune's aura.
    If Pyrrha hadn't been able to sense Jaune's aura, there was no way she'd be able to know that he has a lot of it, if she wasn't able to detect it.

Exhibit B) The Aura measuring function of the Scroll
    We literally watch Glynda show us that the Scrolls can monitor the aura of an entire team on the fly. So if a machine can easily do so, it isn't a far stretch to say that Huntsman can too.

So while it definitely hasn't been stated as being a thing, there's enough actual canon of it, that its plausible that Ruby could actually sense Penny's aura.
    It might not be easy to do, or it might only be a vague sense, but its plausible (and its not an uncommon passive magical ability either)

2. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

*Imagines Aura scouters in RWBY*

White Fang Trooper: "Huh, Aura level 5? This'll be a piece of cake!"

*Ruby kicks butt*

White Fang Trooper: "She can hide her Aura level!"

3. MechaG11

So one thing I've been wondering about Aura is if physical age/maturity and experience can affect how much aura one has and how efficiently they focus and expend it.

I got the idea from Naruto. In that series older and more experienced characters tend to posses more chakra than the younger ones. Characters manage their chakra expenditure more efficiently as they practice their abilities. Abilities that use to consume a lot of chakra become easier to use without completely exhausting the user.

I'm curious as to if RWBY will adopt a similar concept with how Aura functions for characters. It's not quite out of the realm of possibility. After all Ruby and her friends are all still under-aged teenagers who's bodies are still developing. Who's to say if the way their bodies house and channel aura can be influenced by their aging? We'll just have to see I guess.

4. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

That could be the case. Seeing as Aura is the manifestation of one's Soul, it stands to reason that as one grows older, gains experience, and strengthens their outlook the Soul would "grow" as well; which could very well translate to stronger and/or more Aura. Of course, this also present the possibility that someone with a weak will and little to no convictions would have a very poor Aura, no matter how long they've had it.

stealthytanub, AceofAces and MechaG11 like this.
  5. MechaG11

Random civilians in the background for example.

6. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Random civilians are unlikely to have unlocked their Auras, anyway. But seeing as all that's needed is an experienced Aura user and a specific incantation, I don't see why some people wouldn't have paid to have theirs unlocked. Then there's those who washed out of Hunter training. So yes, while a civilian may have their Aura unlocked, it probably has all the effectiveness of a wet paper towel. A one-hit save, at best.

MechaG11 likes this.
  7. stealthytanub

stealthytanub Well-Known Member

About the incantation part, I don't think that's necessary for people who are more experienced with their Aura, like someone who has done it multiple times, perhaps a teacher that does it for the students.
    I think it might be like magic from Harry potter, they say the words because it makes it easier for them but if they know what they are doing they can do it silently.

8. MechaG11

Jaune's aura unlocking is the only evidence which did have an incantation involved. So there's not much to suggest it is not needed.

The odd thing is that Pyrrha's mouth wasn't moving during the incantation, so I'm wondering if that means she was just pointlessly saying stuff in her head or it was just an animation error.

9. stealthytanub

stealthytanub Well-Known Member

I don't think that they would forget to animate her mouth in such an important scene... I hope not.

It might be possible that Aura does what its commanded, people who aren't as good need to say it aloud, better and you can say it in your head and the best can do it without needing to tell it what to do?

That said, the only example we've had is people who are proficient with their Aura, so there is no way to confirm that.

10. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

..........you obviously don't pay much attention to the animation in RWBY, do you?

The Supreme One and MechaG11 like this.