1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Cinder Fall

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by xGhostx, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Oneiros

Oneiros Happy-Go-Lucky Mod of Justice & Love
    Staff Member Admin

I tell you, if it wasn't for the Cinderbooty, I'd be very upset with Cinder's development!

2. ChildOfFate16

ChildOfFate16 Member

That was not what I was saying @AceofAces. It is pure conjecture on my part, a fun discussion based around the fact that when Cinder uses her Semblance – which I still believe to be fire or fire-based – her clothing simply ‘reacts’ to its activation. I don’t mean like a chemical reaction, I mean the Dust is sensing the activation and illuminating when she uses her power.
    Semblances and Dust are obviously connected somehow – the specifics to come later in the show probably – I like that Dust weaved into clothing illuminates when its wearer uses their Semblance. Not very stealthy, but it looks cool.

Yes, World of Remnant: Dust will need to be watched again in order to acquire the correct name - it’s either Wind or Air Dust.

Again, her Semblance is fire and Cinder has additional abilities granted to her by the Dust she weaves into her clothing. Because she is one of the people mentioned in World of Remnant who can manipulate Dust directly, in its raw form, she can use the Dust in her clothing and in the canisters she carried around in Dance Dance Infiltration to perform attacks or do things that aren’t just mystical, they look unexplainably mystical also.

Creating swords out of thin air, creating arrows out of thin air, fighting with glass, changing wardrobe suddenly … these are all things that can most likely be done by a powerful, enlightened person who can manipulate Dust directly. Who knows, perhaps she didn’t ‘change’ outfits, perhaps it was merely an illusion? I think if you’re powerful enough, anything’s possible with the right combinations of Dust.

I simply think of Cinder as a spellcaster who was born with a fire-based power, but you don’t have to :) It’s simply a theory (one of many I’m sure) which I wished to put out there for everyone on the forum to read and have fun discussing. That’s the thing about RWBY, it allows the viewer to speculate on many different possibilities!

@Oneiros: You have a one track mind my friend :D

3. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Well, kinda, yeah. We've seen Dust used in conjunction with Blake's Semblance.

4. delfes

delfes Well-Known Member

One question: Did you really assume "fire" is the semblance and changing outfit is done with Dust?

It's extremely counter-intuitive. We know Dust is mostly elemental based, yet you'd pick the elemental attacks as the personality power(semblance) and switching outfit, which has nothing to do with elements, was done with the elemental Dust rather than the power that can be anything at all as long as it fits the character's personality?

KineticKaiser likes this.
  5. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Kristina Nguyen (RWBY V2's art director and artist for WoR: Dust) confirmed green Dust crystals are "Wind" Dust.

6. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

You have to remember that Dust is a compound, an elemental compound, mined from the earth itself as a natural element, like iron, magnesium, nickel, etc, and as such, it undergoes reactions just like any other element when a certain amount of energy is applied, though it's not a lot that is required since it's volatile enough to have a reaction triggered by a sneeze (see Ruby in Volume I, episode 2). More importantly, It's not "sensing" Cinder's Semblance, it's "reacting" to her Aura, and the application of that energy to trigger a reaction. There is a difference.

People like Cinder, Glynda Goodwitch, Velvet, and other "Dust Mages" use the power of their Aura to manipulate Dust, but Glynda's Semblance is Telekinesis and has nothing to do with Dust. Cinder's Semblance isn't manipulation of Dust through fire. Anything fire-related that we see from Cinder has to do with her using Fire Dust, while her Semblance is unrelated to the Dust itself. She's either used only Fire Dust (Volume I) or Fire Dust in conjunction with other types (Volume II).

We're in agreement that Cinder is a powerful Dust user, but where we disagree is that you think it's her Semblance that causes her to be able to use the Dust, when in reality, it's her Aura. Because it's her Aura manipulating the Dust, the fire that we see is nothing more than just Fire Dust, not a Fire-based Semblance.

MechaG11 likes this.
  7. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not following that her Semblance is fire related. Mainly because I think it was planned to have WoR: Dust air before V2 Ch 7.

There was plenty information given about Dust to preface the episode with what Cinder could have been doing. Especially with the direct mention of Dust Weaving and the slim possibility of Dust infusion as well. Why else would they info dump shortly before showing an episode with her using abilities we haven't seen before?

8. Neopolitan Bonaparte

Neopolitan Bonaparte Well-Known Member

She does have a pretty consistent fire motif going on, though. I could definitely see fire being a big part of her semblance.

9. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Fire Dust, much like how Weiss has an ice motif because she primarily uses Ice Dust (though not exclusively because she has been seen with other types). Yet her Semblance doesn't have anything to do with Dust.

10. Neopolitan Bonaparte

Neopolitan Bonaparte Well-Known Member

That's a fair point - I suppose Yang is similar, too, she has a fire motif and she's the same.

Yeah, never mind that, then.