1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Dust [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by DevilMayCrye, Jul 19, 2013.

1. SCI-FIWIZARDMAN

SCI-FIWIZARDMAN New Member

Uuuuhhh, not sure if anyone else caught this, but a lot of that seems based on how the elements in Naruto function.

I'm serious. If it weren't for the word "Dust" in the middle there, I'd swear this was a Naruto element-chart. Everything, right down to the placement and what mixes to make what.

#311 SCI-FIWIZARDMAN, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

If I recall correctly, I think that Naruto was a source of inspiration for this fan's theory and chart, but you're talking about something that I found over a month ago and probably couldn't find again if I wanted to.

3. SCI-FIWIZARDMAN

Apologies then. I just looked in this thread for the first time in almost half a year and noticed that chart, and how much it looks EXACTLY like a Naruto chart. Probably not very reliable in terms of determining how Dust operates.

But like you said, I'm a bit late for that party.

4. SCI-FIWIZARDMAN

On a new note, since water WAS mentioned as a Dust type in episode 2 by Weiss, and it hasn't shown up in the show yet... does anyone have any idea as to how Water Dust would function? I mean, things like fire and ice are simple enough. One likely causes some sort of chemical reactions that results in rapid combustion, the other in a reaction that freezes and creates ice. But how would a dust type that creates a straight up liquid work, exactly?

If I'm overthinking this and the solution is simple, please tell me.

5. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

Because its magic, thats how.

And by Magic, I mean its magic just like how Materia is magic.

If I had to give an idea of how it could happen, it could just flashform Ice and melt it away in the process, but thats only a half formed thought on how it would be possible.

6. SCI-FIWIZARDMAN

Personally, I think it seems like a type of dust that would be difficult to use for most. Probably one of those types that can only really be used by "Mage" type Hunters (i.e. Glynda and Weiss, and whoever else).

Maybe when it gets used in a concentrated manner, it just spontaneously creates a big deluge, in the same way that a large pillar of flames or ice is suddenly created by other types of dust? And sometimes it can be merged with semblances like other types of dust for... some kind of effect. We're probably gonna have to figure it out amongst ourselves, since we're not likely to see it in the show for a good long while. Liquid, especially in that large amount, is difficult to animate. Hell, they couldn't even properly animate the punch in Ruby's glass at the prom.

7. DevilMayCrye

Tbh, your putting too much thought, into both a concept in show that has had barely anything about it explained (we haven't actually had it explained what Dust does, beyond 'being an energy source'), and into a specific version of said concept that hasn't even been introduced beyond a vague mention.

At this current point, unless we get new information (which we most likely won't until closer to release date for V3), anything talked about in regards to specifics for each Dust type, is pointless speculation, since we barely even have a base level of knowledge to work with.

So far, all we know is that Dust is used as Fuel, elemental ammo, a power source for 'Dust Magery', can be 'woven' into clothes for extra 'something', and can be 'infused into a person' (whatever that means in context).

So far, we've only seen Fire (Ember Celica rounds, the 'Ruby Sneeze' incident, Weiss lighting the forest on fire, and the 'Burn' Dust crystal been shot at to activate), Ice (The Ruby sneeze incident, and most of Weiss' attacks) and Electric Dust (the Ruby sneeze incident) actually be manifested and linked to Dust.

We still have yet to see 'Air' Dust (the fourth type shown in the WoR episode), or any of the 'fusion' dust types be shown and/or confirmed as to what they do.
    Hell, we haven't even had the basic principles of Dust confirmed in show.

So, as much fun as speculating can be, there really isn't much point speculating this sort of thing atm, because what we do have, has been speculated to death with no new ideas, and whatever else we can speculate on doesn't have anything concrete to speculate with)

8. SCI-FIWIZARDMAN

Guess you're right. Oh well. I have have to wait until they decide to show us exactly what they mean in the show... or else stop being teases and tell us exactly the hell is up with the different dust types.

9. DevilMayCrye

Unfortunately, if the current two volumes are to go by, we either won't get info dumps unless they are super, incredibly relevant to an upcoming episode, or in a much longer version of WoR (like WoR Dust 2: Varieties).

Its pretty much one of RWBY's major flaws: Poor Lore introduction.

10. Spearhead83

Spearhead83 New Member

Well, seeing as the application of Dust is not of my expertise in the world of Remnant, would it be possible to combine it together when, say, creating a projectile?

Fireball + Ice casing = explosive (and cold) Shrapnel?