1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Dust [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by DevilMayCrye, Jul 19, 2013.

1. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

......or just use an explosive round, filled with Ice Dust?

From what we can gather, Dust (when used in conujunction with weapons and ammo) comes in either a Gunpowder form, or potentially a 'Solid bullet' variant (going with the assumption that the Dust Clip Weiss handed Blake were solid 'Dust Crystal' shots).

So why bother going to the extra effort of combining two types of a highly volatile energy source, when you can just use 1 source with an already existing ammo type.

I doubt that 'combination rounds' are a thing, mainly due to the fact you can't control how the Dust reacts (atleast in Ammo form, since we don't know what Dust Mages are actually capable of, or what Dust Infusers can do), merely deliver the resulting elemental blast/effect.

2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I prefer the gunpowder theory. Solid Dust crystals are not nearly as volatile as powdered Dust, most likely because the powder form has a greater surface area to be catalyzed by some initial spark of force/energy. During Volume I, Episode 1, Roman threw a hard crystal at Ruby and Glynda and it did nothing until he shot it with an explosive flare, whereas in the next episode, Ruby sneezed on powder and exploded. Solid crystals are more inert than powdered Dust and require greater energy to initiate a reaction, and I don't think the internal firing mechanism of a gun is strong enough to fire a "Dust Crystal" shot, but it would be strong enough to trigger a reaction with powdered Dust in the exact same way that gunpowder operates.

So Dust bullets actually have two types of Dust in them: explosive, gunpowder-like Dust in the bullet casing akin to our own gunpowder, and the elemental Dust in the tip of the bullet, like taking a hollow-point round and filling it with Dust. That way, the elemental reaction doesn't happen inside the gun itself, but reacts to the force of the bullet's impact against the target. Detonating a Dust Crystal inside a gun would only damage the gun and result in a misfire. You first need some controlled explosion to project the bullet outward, much like gunpowder creates a controlled explosion in our own modern guns.

3. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally agree, I was just covering my own ass on the off chance its actually a thing (which, given RT's bad writing, could still happen)

4. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

What pisses me off in RWBY is that these people basically shoot practice soaps. Why? I do not know. I would have used "fire dust propels lead bullet" as my weapon design, but nope, they go with "Fire dust propels dusty practice soaps that just break apart on impact and only do surface damage"

5. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Uhh.......what? "Practice soaps"?

6. The Supreme One

Oh, right, you wouldn't encounter those.

In live fire practice, law enforcement officers use soap rounds that they can fire at each other with safely. The county closes down the mall each year and does a practice shootout. The rounds are completely harmless blocks of compacted soap that just hurts/leaves slight mark

7. Benzie

Benzie Well-Known Member

Also called Simunitions (a very specific brand that is generally applied sometimes), sim rounds, paint rounds, practice rounds, chalk shot, etc. They are used in force-on-force exercises, typically L&O but also sometimes for military.

8. The Supreme One

@Benzie, Simunitions is an awesome name

Benzie likes this.
  9. TheTieBreaker

TheTieBreaker Well-Known Member

Couple questions and ideas I'm having about Dust, but because of limited info there may just be speculation and theories. A Hunter can fuse Dust with their bodies directly in order to weild that property of Dust like magic right? So if someone used fire Dust they could shoot flames and fireballs and whatnot. Do they have to continuously keep fusing with Dust to recharge, because it's a consumable material? Or does the Dust become a rechargeable power that can refill one it's own like magic in a video game? If it did recharge, would they be able to get a boost in power through the aid of more Dust?

10. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I've actually thought about this a little bit. By infusing the body with Dust, you're actually changing the cellular structure in order to make what would normally be considered a foreign substance a natural part of the person's living tissue. After all, any time a foreign object is left inside a person, the body rejects it and attacks it, viewing it as an infection (hence why donated organs need to be compatible with the recipient's blood type).

With Dust being infused into the cells themselves so that they're more natural, the body would be capable of producing Dust effects as it produces natural energy from food. So what would happen is that the infusion of Dust would ramp up the person's metabolism since the high demand for energy would lead to a correspondingly high demand for the fuel that produces that energy. There wouldn't need to be constant infusions from external sources since the body would be producing it naturally as a byproduct of natural biological energy production, and they may be able to store this elemental energy for some amount of time, but if that energy builds up, it might release spontaneously, such as a person infused with Fire Dust would have really hot skin and sweat a lot to try and cool down, or someone with Shock Dust would have random static discharges.

However, prolonged use of these Dust abilities would severely drain a person physically since that person would be expelling much of their internal energy, and would need to replenish that by eating. I don't think infusing more Dust would be the solution since there is probably a delicate balance that the cells would be able to accept, and pushing the body beyond that would lead to an overload and a rejection of the Dust.

But this is all just my head canon (and the basis for which I have a partial OC developed who is a walking human taser)

TheTieBreaker likes this.