1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Dust [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by DevilMayCrye, Jul 19, 2013.

1. TheTieBreaker

TheTieBreaker Well-Known Member

That's a nice way to look at it, with the body having to compensate for this new energy expelling out by needing more energy in. I feel like using another Dust crystal would have the effect of an energy drink however, gives the body a boost but too much and too often could lead to bodily harm and even fatal effects. Perhaps not even a full crystal but small doses. Or maybe instead of a short term boost it's a long term addition if done in small doses. Like slowly letting the body adjust to more and more so it can handle longer and more powerful expulsions of energy.

The other Dust thing I wonder about is when it's fused in clothing. I believe the only time we see this is with Vol. 2 Cinder with her infiltration scene, though I'm not exactly sure what. The other time was WoR Dust where there was the silhouette of the man with a scarf that was turning into flames or something. Does Dust clothing have properties of both materials and can switch? How does a person control that? This seems to be the most lacking in detail and anything made with this is left to creator's freedom and imagination with fan works.

I've tried thinking of a fire and ice bandages that my OC wears around their arms. In combat they act like whips of sorts: one of fire and the other a flexible blade of ice.

2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

It could be that way, but your energy drink analogy isn't really on point. An energy drink is just another food source filtered through the digestive system like all other food, whereas what we're talking about here is injecting foreign material to force the cellular structure to change, effectively changing a person's DNA. The right balance is needed in order for the body to accept this change, and when you're dealing with such precise calculations, even the slightest deviations can have disastrous consequences, so it just seems unlikely that adding any more Dust would have a positive effect.

Think of bodily Dust infusion in the same way that Peter Parker was bitten by a genetically engineered spider and had his DNA altered to gain spider-like abilities. He doesn't need to be constantly bitten in order to replenish or amplify his abilities; it's a part of his genetic code now and his body will naturally do it all on his own.

As to this other point about Dust clothing, I think what happens is a person becomes a channel for the Dust effects to flow through so long as they're wearing the clothes. A crude analogy would be like grabbing an electrical wire in one hand in order to carry the current through your body and out your other hand. The person becomes a temporary vessel for the use of Dust because of that direct contact between the clothing and the person's skin. The clothes themselves are not like elemental weapons or something; it just empowers the wearer with the ability to channel these elemental abilities.

So to your fire and ice bandage example, it wouldn't be that the bandages themselves would be weapons. Rather, the person wearing them would act as a channel for these elements to be released, though I personally might exercise caution in trying to combine multiple elements at once. We have no idea if the body is capable of handling that much power from different sources, especially when a person's whole body is the channel, not just one body part.

TheTieBreaker likes this.
  3. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

I really wish they'd give us an example of Dust infusion with humans already.

It's an interesting aspect and possibility I'd like to see explored. At the very least I'd like to know how it's used and what risks it poses to the user.

4. TheTieBreaker

TheTieBreaker Well-Known Member

So with clothing it holds all the Dust energy, but instead of being the weapon itself like swords or whatnot it makes the body the weapon? Like the clothing is the cartridge that holds it and the body is the conduit. Seems like a safer and less taxing alternative to fusing with the Dust directly with the body since it's not really taking away energy from the body, however could be costly due to clothes being inorganic and non-reproductive. Clothing fades and is worn down after a while and nothing would reproduce new Dust, so it seems like that would be where you would recharge with more Dust.

This is what WoR needs to be about.