1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction for Dummies

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by AceofAces, Dec 28, 2013.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Hey all. I've been tossing around in my head the idea of writing my own fan fiction for my RWBY OCs that I've been developing on the side and in the RP threads, but I have absolutely no experience writing fan fiction. Could anyone offer some DOs and DON'Ts for new fan fic writers in general and for writing RWBY related fan fiction? Much appreciated.

2. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

DO:
    -Always be aware of pacing. Be thorough without stretching it out excessively. Be concise without rushing through it.
    -Stay true to canon character personalities. A lot of OC stories twist canon personalities for their own purposes. While deviating from their personalities works in stories focused on them, it's off-putting to see them acting differently in an OC-centered story
    -Ensure a minimum of 2.5-3k words per chapter at least.
    -Give your readers reasons to connect to your OC's. Situations that play to the characters' weaknesses and strengths in a believable and quasi-relatable manner.
    -Have the whole story physically outlined either on paper or on a separate document before you start. It makes things much easier in the long run.

DON'T:
    -Don' t screw around the canon character situations too much. Deviation from canon is the core of fanfiction, but it's just lazy writing to have your team of OC's tagging along with the canon characters and getting involved in exactly the same stuff they do all the time.
    -At the same time, don't be too afraid to mess with canon. Paradoxical, I know. Jut utilize the butterfly effect. Small changes here and there can open up the way for larger changes in the future. Disregard this one if you have no intention of altering canon even slightly.
    -Don't oversell your characters. If one of them has an exceptional aptitude with a weapon, don't go having faceless background characters whispering loudly about how that character is amazing with their weapon and about the 'title' they got earlier in life for using that weapon. Demonstrating their proficiency in an actual fight is more than enough.
    -Don't info dump. This is actually an epidemic among OC stories. Let the story itself reveal who each character is as a fighter and a person.

Kamzil118, BF110C4, Jaxrond and 3 others like this.
  3. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Well-Known Member

I know this is just a personal preference, but I avoid third person omniscient like the plague. It's just bland and too revealing for me. First person is ok, but I usually write in third person limited to one character's thoughts, and change the viewpoint every chapter or so if I feel like the upcoming event needs to be told from the viewpoint of a different character (if you're not sure what I'm talking about, see The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.)

4. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Great tips. Thanks. By "info dump," I assume you mean telling every little detail about a character early in the story so that there's no room for growth, right?

Regarding having OC characters "tag along" with canon characters, would the following example be permissible?

During the "Players and Pieces" episode, Team RWBY is fighting the Nevermore and Team JNPR is fighting the Deathstalker. What if my OC team, aware of what the other teams are doing at that moment, finds itself involved in a separate battle with another giant Grimm nearby, but the fights don't intersect? Is that the correct balance between adhering to the events of the show without messing with the canon too much while telling a new story within the existing framework of known events?

5. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

If they don't intersect, it's entirely permissible. If you ever do have OC and CC cross paths during a situation, just be mindful of what that situation symbolized in canon and write the story accordingly.

For example: OC sees Cardin bullying Jaune and kicks Cardin's ass before reassuring Jaune that he has his back. That's a big no-no. Jaune needed that situation, however cliche it was, to start working past his self-esteem issues. Having an OC rip that chance away from him stunts his growth. Going even further, the OC has basically stepped all over Jaune's pride by implying he needs protection all the time.

6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Right, that makes sense. But what about adding events that occur in between episodes (or even mid-episode when perspectives change between characters) in which OCs and CCs interact. Here's a couple of example I was thinking of:

1. When Yang ditches Ruby when they arrive at Beacon, we see Ruby meet Weiss, Blake and then Jaune and Yang doesn't show up until Ruby arrives for Ozpin's speech. What if during that time, an OC tries hitting on Yang in the auditorium because she gets there before Ruby does and the conversation ends just before Ruby arrives?

2. OC characters interacting with CC characters in a class not shown in the show or one day during lunch

I'm pretty sure that not all episodes immediately flow from one into the next and that this could create new stories within the framework of the old, but obviously to avoid influencing existing events and character developments too much (like the Jaune example you gave). Am I correct in this thinking?

7. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

You are indeed correct. Trivial interactions shouldn't alter the story too much (if at all) so you'll be fine doing stuff like that.

8. delfes

delfes Well-Known Member

You can also have canon situations affect you without being straight up involved in them. Taking the fight of episode 8 as an exemple: you could reach the temple, get a chess piece, keep going and... half the bridge is gone so you can't go that way because the fight destroyed everything. Now what?

I personnally think that if it fits the characters you could interact with CC. Yang is probably used to people hitting on her(as long as she ditches you because a relationship would break canon), or maybe try to get help from Weiss in a class, since she's obviously a top student. Stuff that could actually happen. But be very careful with not making them out of character.

9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Would a relationship with Yang really break canon? Would such a thing be possible or is the idea of Yang being in a relationship so contrary to her personality that it would never realistically happen?

10. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

The problem with OC's being romantically involved is how much it shakes up canon. Being romantically involved also drags the OC(s) into canon spotlight. As loathe as I am to admit it, you can technically have an OCxCC relationship. You just have to be aware of the ripples it causes.