1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction for Dummies

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by AceofAces, Dec 28, 2013.

1. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Please take this to Fanfic Ideas.

2. FanausKing

FanausKing Well-Known Member

Thanks.

3. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

To those who for some reason think using tropes is automatically bad (and disregarding how the work itself and context makes it different).
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools

And for why you can't make a story without tropes:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustForFun/TheTropelessTale?from=Main.TheTropelessTale

Summary: Tropes aren't inherently bad. They can be done right, and they can be done wrong. It's not the inclusion that determines that, but how well it is implemented by the writer.

4. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Couldn't have said it better myself

5. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Totally forgot to tag you in that.
    Wanted to give you a shout out because you've been preaching that here for a while now.

AceofAces likes this.
  6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

It's always nice to be appreciated. :D

MechaG11 likes this.
  7. Kamzil118

Kamzil118 Active Member

I already started on this crossover called Of Monsters and Men, its basically an AU RWBY/Hearts of Iron IV crossover. It was made this way so I can advertise an original story of mine.

However, I read this thread from the first page and it helped me reconsider the story as a whole. What if some portal from Hearts of Iron 4 Earth opened up and stumbled upon Remnant? Just normal Remnant.

I literally wanted to break RWBY in half just to make it a bit similar to my original story, but this thread helped point out my obvious mistakes already and I should get to the point.

So I wanted some thoughts on a concept of a person from the characters of RWBY who initially befriends an OC from Hearts of Iron 4 who would later on become an enemy in the future.

8. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I've never heard of Hearts of Iron, but I'll tell you right now that unless inter dimensional portals are a believable thing in Hearts of Iron, I would advise against that idea. We get questions about crossovers a lot here. The trick to a crossover is not to literally cram two universes together, but to take elements of one universe and put it in the other. Everything happens in one universe, whether that takes place in Remnant or in the Hearts of Iron universe, and you accomplish this by either adapting the RWBY characters into roles characters in Hearts of Iron would have, or you do the opposite and modify Hearts of Iron characters to make them on par with RWBY characters.

Here's an example for a RWBY/Star Wars crossover I'm planning: It's in the early days of the Rebellion with the main RWBY cast occupying these roles:
    Ruby: Rookie Rebel pilot trying to prove herself
    Weiss: Disgraced Imperial officer hunting Ruby to redeem herself
    Blake: Dark Jedi trying to protect herself from the Empire by hunting Yang
    Yang: Force-sensitive smuggler training to be a Jedi in secret.

In this story, there is no Remnant. There are no Grimm, the characters don't have their RWBY weapons or semblances or Aura. Everything is Star Wars except for the characters themselves and their personalities. That's how you do a crossover well. Truth be told, the RWBY universe is actually pretty limited, especially in terms of lore and scale of stories. Fortunately, its rich cast of diverse characters make it pretty compatible for crossovers, by adapting those personalities to different universes. We all know what kind of person Ruby is, so then the question becomes how would she react to being placed in a certain situation. What would she do and be?

It's less about actually crossing over into a different universe through some cliched wormhole and more about creating the RWBY cast more organically in a non-RWBY universe.

9. Kamzil118

Kamzil118 Active Member

Hearts of Iron IV is a WW2 game on the global level where a player could be any country and basically wage war, be neutral, change ideologies, etc.

I was trying to make an alternative WW2 with a portal to Remnant suddenly appearing underneath a WW2 version of Minas Tirith called Poznan Citadel. Now that you mention that a crossover isn't supposed to be something about two universes meeting each other all of a sudden, I feel a sense of regret that I didn't think the story through.

However, I could rewrite the story to fit the alternate WW2 setting I established thanks to my first playthrough. As for team RWBY, I might give them a neat role in this alternate World War Two. Such as being a secretary to some high-commanding general, be part of a partisan group, or even act as spies for some foreign nation.

My problems with this setting is Blake with her faunus ears, but I could also establish the idea that the faunus do exist. It does have value from RWBY which I could use. Then there is the matter of OCs. At some point, the people like RWBY are going to have to talk to someone who isn't from their team and I have a terrible problem with OCs being more important than the established characters or having a romantic relationship with such characters.

10. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Or you could just not have Blake be a Faunus and work in a cat reference somewhere. For example, if she's a spy, you can give her a cat related code name. Or even use something as simple as a cat-themed piece of jewelry, like a broach, that she wears instead of cat ears.

The point is, modify your characters to fit within the universe you're playing with. Not the other way around where you're bending over backwards to change the rules of the universe to accommodate a character.

Kamzil118 likes this.