1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction for Dummies

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by AceofAces, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Kamzil118

Kamzil118 Active Member

Hmm... that's a neat idea. Thanks for the suggestion, now I've got an alternate Second World War to write about.

2. QQinfinity

QQinfinity New Member

Guys, I need some help here.
    I am trying to do a FF13 X RWBY crossover, since I thought it would be a good idea. The Paradigm Shift in FF13 reminded me a bit of the team combo attacks in RWBY. Plus, most of the people in FF13 have unique weaponry that fits in the RWBY world.

Serah has a weapon that can change between a bow and sword, Noel's dual sword can change into spears, Hope's boomerang can be controlled directly and they can be used as short blades if he is using the sharp ones, while Vanille's rod can be used to smack people or by using the extending ropes and hooks to harass from afar.

But I am currently stuck on team names, urgh, they are abysmally hard to come up with.

The team's are:
    1. Serah and Noel with Hope and Vanille (probably the only four people that will appear directly, everyone else is too old to attend Beacon. In fact, Vanille is scraping by the borders.)
    2. Lightning and Fang with Sazh and Snow (probably won't appear unless the plot demands it)

SNHV and LFSS makes no sense whatsoever. Any ideas?
    The closest thing that I got was Team SVNH (SaVaNnaH) but I didn't really like that name.

#672 QQinfinity, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. Terra125

Terra125 Member

Apologies if this was already brought up before, I don't have the attention span to read through this entire lengthy thread, but Spin-offs are I think the safest bet in writing Fanfic. Make your OCs and give them their own adventure, for the most part, separate from CCs. I'm cool with them crossing paths once or twice so long as it has no major impact to their story or development. Or, if you know enough about them, Take CCs you love but are not in the limelight like team RWBY and JNPR and give them a spinoff story that doesn't impact the main plot but, instead, expands on it. (I'm sure someone's done an FF on Team CFVY) Also with the Fall of Beacon and the world of Remnant being expanded upon, it's a perfect starting point for OC or CC Spin-offs since you're no longer restricted to school life at Beacon anymore.

4. Mezzo Fourte

Mezzo Fourte Well-Known Member

Something that I honestly have no idea about, and am seeking advice: when writing OC fanfics or original works, is it recommended or even realistic to aim for a gender ratio of 50/50? I say this as someone who just realized that, out of all of my characters for my fanfic, I only have two females…

5. stealthytanub

stealthytanub Well-Known Member

No, it's not at all realistic to do that.
    In real life very rarely do you come across perfect 50/50 splits that haven't happened deliberately.
    And even if you are actively trying it's hard to do it in real life.

Besides, you shouldn't be thinking that way. What does it matter about the gender ratio?
    If someone is offended by the lack of a certain gender in a story then they probably have deeper issues that your story.

Write your story so everything fits and feels good. If you feel that you are lacking a gender, ask yourself why you need that gender. Are you adding said gender because you feel the need to or because they would fit in your story?

Example.
    LOTR.
    For some reason people seem obsessed with adding females to the group.
    It doesn't even make any sense, especially if they are untalented and have nothing to offer.

On the other hand, a talented swordswoman/archer could be added and it would make some manner of sense.

You get what I mean?

6. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

What Stealthy is trying to say @Mezzo Fourte is don't compromise your artistic integrity for the sake of some plastered on diversity. If there's a place for it go ahead and include them, but don't sacrifice major bits or randomly tack something on if you're not going to go anywhere with it.

7. stealthytanub

stealthytanub Well-Known Member

You said it a lot better than me.

8. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Yeah, pretty much what Stealthy said. The last thing you want to do is make gender a conscious decision, even if you're trying to be equal. You run the risk of coming across as not genuine, that a certain character is a certain way to fill some sort of invisible quota when it shouldn't be about quotas. It should be about the vision you have for your characters and the narrative they're going to tell.

If you want to add more female characters, and you feel you can adequately do it by adding entirely new characters or changing existing ones from male to female, then go ahead. But make sure it actually makes sense in this world and in this story to do so, and that you didn't just do it for the sake of having more women.

9. White Raven

White Raven Well-Known Member

Maybe someone can help me. I'm currently writing a oneshot comedy and action fic about a snowball fight between RWBY and JNPR.

The fight takes place outside. It's been snowing a lot. I won't tell you how the fight begins. Since writing 4 vs 4 is difficult, I want the fighters to split up into four different 1 vs 1 that take place away from each other. To help separate them, I was thinking that Weiss creates a small and temporary blizzard (suggested by Ruby). The blizzard is so thick and intense that it's nearly blinding, and can disorient anyone caught within it.

I'm not sure how to create the blizzard. Weiss does not have Myrtenaster with her. Since she's out on her free time, she shouldn't be carrying around Dust. But let's say that she has Dust with her. What kind of Dust types would she need to make a blizzard? Ice, wind, and gravity? And how would she use her Glyphs to make it happen?

The only thing I can think of is that she creates a massive glyph on the ground that throws up snow from the ground and into the air. And then she uses glyphs in the air to create gusts of winds to blow the snow around. This, of course, takes a hefty amount of her Aura.

I know Weiss has a very flexible Semblance, and I can take some freedoms with it, but I would like my idea to sound at least plausible.

Any comments or suggestions?

10. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Remember how in the first episode of Volume III, Weiss used her glyphs to sweep up two guys from ABRN in a vortex before trapping them in a giant ice fist? I imagine that if Weiss used a similar technique on snow, it would create something like a whiteout effect, albeit for a very short time.