1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Faunus [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by The Juggernaut, Jan 18, 2014.

1. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Well-Known Member

The one topic that everyone knows about, and yet information still remains elusive and unclear.

Here's what we know about Faunus so far:
    Faunus is both singular and plural, like the word deer.
    Faunus are essentially humans, except for the fact that they display one (1) animalistic trait.
    So far, the list of Faunus featured in the show are: Cat (ears), Monkey (tail), Rabbit (ears), Ram (horns, unconfirmed - see Faunus protest/white fang uprising news flash, episode 1), unidentified horned Faunus (see Faunus protest/white fang uprising news flash, episode 1), unidentified Faunus (perhaps either rabbit or canid ears, see Faunus protest/white fang uprising news flash, episode 1), bear (ears, unconfirmed - see Faunus protest/white fang uprising news flash, episode 1), possible bull horns (Adam Taurus).
    Faunus are known to have exceptional night vision.
    It is also noteworthy that every Faunus so far in the series has only displayed a mammalian animal trait.

To start, I'd like to point out that as far as canon has demonstrated currently, it is impossible for Faunus to have more than one animalistic trait. I'm tired of seeing cat Faunus OCs that have cat ears and a tail (though none on this site, thank God). Seriously, if you're into cat girls, find another anime.

Also, I'm intrigued by how Faunus came into existence, which I think has the potential to be a major plot arc later on. I can't imagine that Monty would try to get by just by saying two species happened to evolve into practically identical species, aside from one animalistic trait. My personal theory is that Faunus were the by-product of a genetics excitement gone wrong (or right? Hm…).

Any thoughts? Feel free to discuss anything that pertains to the Faunus sub-species (or are they their own true species, and unable to breed with humans?) in this thread.

#1 The Juggernaut, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Thehappyvampire and Ember like this.
  2. Thehappyvampire

Thehappyvampire Active Member

If Humans were born from Dust, what about Faunus? Did some genetic experiment went wrong or right? Or are they born from Dust too?

3. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

I suspect they were too. I don't know how their genetics diverged from humankind though.

4. Thehappyvampire

I wonder what advantages the Faunas generally have over the Humans and what advantages the Humans generally have over the Faunas.

5. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Well we know that Faunus have much better vision at night than Humans do. Or rather, according to Jaune, the Faunus have binoculars.

6. Thehappyvampire

Yeah, and Faunas are probably faster than Humans usually. Maybe Humans have the advantage of having a larger amount of Aura than Faunas.

7. RF_Redfox

RF_Redfox Active Member

They seems to also take personality traits from the animal they are from. Blake seems to have fast reflexes like a cat, Sun seems to be a little more playful and more of a trouble maker like a monkey, Adam seems to be stubborn and colder like a bull, and Velvet is shy like a bunny.

KineticKaiser likes this.
  8. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Impyrrial Inquisitor
    Staff Member Admin

"Fast reflexes" is a physical trait, not a personality one. But you're definitely on to something.

9. Thehappyvampire

Hmmm... Faunus inheriting all their animal side capabilities... Oh God... poor Velvet...

The Juggernaut likes this.
  10. RTCN

RTCN Member

I'd like to believe that the existence of Faunus is somehow tied to the human use of Dust as a power source. This would magnify the tension between corporations like Schnee and the Faunus they use as labor, as well as between the human establishment, which relies heavily on Dust, and the Faunus who are oppressed by it. I have a thread in RWBY Fandom on this subject, but it basically boils down to:

-Using Dust as a power source generates pollution
    -This pollution causes genetic mutations, resulting in Faunus