1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Gen. James Ironwood

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by AceofAces, Aug 1, 2014.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]

Does anyone else think that the combo title of headmaster/general means that the school Ironwood is a headmaster for is a military academy like West Point?

#1 AceofAces, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
  2. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

I think it's more inclined towards militancy, but not an out-and-out military academy. Going with the reasonable assumption that his school is for Huntsman and Huntresses, they wouldn't be under government jurisdiction (going with the previously discussed theory that Hunting is the venture of an independent organization rather than a federal job).

Bear with me for a moment; speculation supported by bits of dialogue points towards Atlas being a heavily industrialized nation. Heavy industrialization on such a dangerous world would naturally lead to heavy arms manufacturing. This constant flow of weapons need people to use them, so Atlas props up their military and its strength as a point of national pride. They promote strength and discipline as the highest virtues. Pride leads hot-blooded young men and women to sign up, eager to be a part of Atlas' mighty war machine.

Those citizens who choose to go down the path of a Huntsman/Huntress don't just lose the quasi-indoctrination they grew up with, they bring it with them. It carries into the halls of the academies in Atlas, and students that become teachers bring it into the classroom. This leads to an acceptance of military culture in the academy that roots itself deeper and deeper with every generation until its part of the school's identity. Completely inseparable.

I might've gone on a little too long. My point is, if it's a Hunting Academy, then it wouldn't be an actual military academy. Just a military-minded one.

Of course, this is all dependent on too many variables, so I could be wrong.

geth117 likes this.
  3. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I see what you're getting at and yeah, it does make sense, but Ozpin did point out that he does run an army so the title of General does carry its full weight rather than being a title for an ordinary headmaster in a militaristic culture. It's also not entirely inconceivable for there to be Hunting schools funded by the government, and while the students may not necessarily be signing up for the military, the state school is placed under the direction of the military who are after all the most experienced in combat and natural choices for combat education, especially in an industrialized society with a large, advanced military like you pointed out.

4. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Right, right, I didn't mean to say that the government has absolutely no hands in the Academy pie. Funding the education of warriors that clear out more land to claim would definitely be high on their budget list.

I don't think they would be placing regular soldiers into classrooms to teach Hunting. Regular soldier would have no idea how to attend to the high individualization of weapons and tactics between the students or how to approach a situation from the shoes of, what is essentially, a superhuman.

To put it into perspective, when I entered Advanced Individual Training (The training through which a soldier learns their specific MOS) for the Cavalry Scout MOS, they didn't stick us with a Drill Sergeant who had an Infantry MOS. There were Cav Scout Drill Sergeants who knew the job and knew exactly what to teach us.

5. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

True. I doubt regular soldiers would be tasked with combat education. More likely, certain qualified officers that demonstrate the skills necessary to provide proper Huntsmen education would be assigned to work at this school and teach these students. They wouldn't just place anyone associated with the military in the school just like how they won't just stick any member of the Army or Navy as an instructor at West Point or Annapolis. There are probably additional qualifications that must be shown in order to teach.

6. Bio

Bio Active Member

Its possible Ironwood has a robotic arm. His right hand is gloved, and when Ozpin hands him the mug you here a "clink" sound. Maybe the ceramic mug tapping the metal.

If he's a General it's not impossible that he lost the arm in combat, and since we see him in the opening and trailer with Penny and a bunch of other combat mechs he could have built himself a new arm. Maybe even incorporated his weapon(s) into it.

(thanks go to Ember for talking the idea out with me. xD)

KineticKaiser likes this.
  7. deltanine

deltanine Active Member

Also, if Glynda's suspicions of him are any indication, then I think that Ironwood's going to be a bad guy later on down the road.

8. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

Even if he isn't the bad guy, he'll be the 'Unsavory' good guy, the one who has the best intentions, but ends up causing more damage than help.

MechaG11, KineticKaiser and Ember like this.
  9. Bio

Bio Active Member

I could see that. Likely he uses his military power the with good intentions but it ends up back firing and causing more problems.

10. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

I agree. Military types traditionally have the stance of "preventative measures" and using "well practiced military methods". And it plays out exactly how the bad guy wants.