1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaune Arc

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by Jaytonicsonic, Aug 6, 2013.

1. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Mehhhhh?
    Idk if that will be the case. Jaune has still kind of been a bit of a blank slate, save for when he's willing to stick up for his friends.
    Maybe it will be a shield, maybe not. Idk at this point.

2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I have a slightly different theory. Instead of hard light, it's Aura. He can either use his immense Aura to give himself an impenetrable over shield that heals him (which we saw him do in Forever Fall forest), or he can project the shield outward into a bubble shield that heals allies inside while keeping enemies out. Oh, and the light refracting through the bubble shield would give it a rainbow-like appearance (a reference to the symbol on his shield).

Aznpride1207 and MechaG11 like this.
  3. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

*Nora jumps excitedly*
    "Jaune's Semblance is RAINBOW POWER!"

4. MayhemGodess

MayhemGodess Member

That's a pretty damn good theory and sticks with the Knight in shining armor cliche that Pyrrha so deserves. I just think that he's gonna have to learn how to use this shield ability offensively if he has a chance to decapitate Cinder like I need him to... or maybe just stick her in the chest with one of her own arrows... (Morbidly planning Cinders death to resemble Pyrrha's is morbid) (is it too soon for jokes?)

5. mach56gs

mach56gs Active Member

Honestly, I want Jaune to start to develop into RWBY/JNPR's Qrow. But Jaune.

I don't want him to be melancholy and touchy-feely about his loss, I want him to muck through the suffering and the sentiment and come out hardened.

Don't want him to be Qrow by the end of Vol.4, mind you, I just want him to go down that path, instead of mopey "waiting for Pyrrha to free me" sort of sentiment where he needs some MacGauffin to give him a reason to recover.

That way, Jaune endgame (provided he lasts that long) isn't some rookie: He's the smiling cynic of the RWBY/JNPR team, someone who has struggled and has moved on, even if he hasn't let go.

Not everyone recovers 100%, not everyone can let go. That doesn't mean they can't keep moving forwardTM.

6. Death_The_Kid078

Death_The_Kid078 New Member

So, hello there guys! I hope you are having a good day or night. I have really gotten into RWBY! it's been a really amazing show so far. Comedy, action, character development, and shipping. Why wouldn't I love this? Anyways, one character that I have really warmed up to Jaune. I have seen many discussions of Jaune's semblance and I wondered myself what it would be. Then it came to me, now this is just a thought but do you think he can bring out a powerful sword and shield? like Excalibur and Pridwen? I know it's a silly thought but to me,Jaune Arc is like the fictional version of King Arthur. Let me know what you guys think about this. Please be nice to me, I'm a noob at these types of things.

7. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Merged your thread into the existing Jaune Arc thread. Please do not create new threads if they can be rolled into an existing one.

Please read the Rules of the Forum located in Community Announcements & Events.

8. Death_The_Kid078

Death_The_Kid078 New Member

Sorry, I won't do it again.

9. Kunren

Kunren Member

Woot woot on the hype train for season 4. Shame we didn't see more Jaune in the trailer, but definitely made me question a few things. Will Jaune be the new team leader of RJNR/JNRR? He's had experience leading the majority of the team, but Ruby is arguably a more skilled leader (though perhaps she simply had a more cooperative team, lolz). I don't know, but the fact that in the trailer Ruby is working alone could allude to the possibility that even after some time she doesn't really sink into Jaune's team composition, which would be in favor of Jaune leading, though of course it could simply have been a solo mission. Hunters seem to go on more of those as their experience rises.

Maybe there won't even be an "official" leader? Even though Ruby and Jaune have had some tender leader to leader moments in the past, I could see some sparks flying between the two if they both had an idea of how the team should be led. I'd have liked to see how they worked all this out, but considering we have what looks like a pretty decent time skip we might not see much of that sadly.

After the ending of season 3, I was really hoping season 4 would start with mission #1 being to visit Jaunes house, lol, but even if that did happen it most likely happened during the time skip as well QQ. We can only hope it will be a theme during the volume to visit people's homes, since we've seen Ruby's and previews Weiss.

Now! On to the biggest topic of discussion for my boy Jaune. The semblance! I've been thinking about it, and maybe Jaune had so much trouble finding his semblance in the previous seasons because he was trying to make it something it's not? If Jaune's grief for Pyrrha is finally the turning point for discovering his semblance, it might be darker themed than what everyone expects. Of course, semblances don't change, as far as I am aware, but they can grow as we've seen with Ruby's new mastery of hers, so maybe they can even grow in new directions? If Pyrrhas death is such a life changing event, it might irrevocably change Jaune so much that even if his semblance was originally based on healing/shield, it could grow into something else with that baseline, maybe?

10. Eights

Eights Well-Known Member

So, time I talked about Jaune. I'll be honest, I think out of the characters in RWBY, Jaune still ranks pretty damn high in my favorite characters list, but more for what he could be than what he is. The big problem with Jaune in volumes 1 & 2 isn't that he "takes up too much screentime" so much as it is that the screentime he's given is built on awful storylines. If he had been given more than just "Oh no, Jaune's being bullied!" or "Oh no, Weiss doesn't like Jaune!" then maybe there'd be less hatred to Jaune as a character within the fandom.

Because quite frankly, Jaune could've been a great point of exposition in the first volume for things we don't know. Maybe he grew up as a farmboy who learned of his family's legacy as soldiers and Hunters and ran off from home to find an Academy to join, forging transcripts to skip past Signal and straight to Beacon, but since he didn't go to Signal, he doesn't know a whole lot and it allows characters who went to training school like Ruby or Pyrrha to fill him (and by extension the viewer) with the details of the world.

Hell, he has a good story of a simple guy just wanting to do right by his lineage and be a hero and while it's touched upon in his arc (seriously trying to avoid puns with this. It's hard.) it gets less focus than the bullying aspect of the story and because Cardin's an uninteresting antagonist, that aspect falls flat. In volume 2, he's put into a dumb love triangle story with a girl who clearly doesn't want him and put up against an utter tool who is positioned as being his better despite not really being all that likable and after that is over, he contributes so little to the final battle that as @KineticKaiser said in the Pyrrha thread, it raises the question "why is he even here? Why does this character exist?"

And I don't really want super badass hunter Gary Stu Jaune here. I don't want him to be on the same combat level as the rest of his team, but instead give him a strategic mind to give him an edge. They kind of do it, but it's either comedy ("hit him harder" and the dumb "fighting over combo names bit in V3) or just comes off weird (he just shouts "Pyrrha!" while fighting the Deathstalker and she understands instinctively what to do) so it becomes harder to sell that.

Volume 3 he did next to nothing of value, failed to stop Cinder and now he's traveling with Ruby, Ren and Nora through Mistral. They're starting to build a character for him in his grief over Pyrrha's death, but his character was so mismanaged in the first two volumes it's no wonder that his screen presence is toxic to the fandom.

AceofAces and KineticKaiser like this.