1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaune Arc

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by Jaytonicsonic, Aug 6, 2013.

1. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

I always get heated when I think about how they planted the seed of him being an excellent tactician and then continuously dropped the ball on it.

The Supreme One likes this.
  2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I agree with you 100%. To put this one little bit into perspective, Volume III had almost ZERO character development for ANYONE, including Jaune. Only Weiss and Pyrrha underwent character growth during the Volume itself, while the foundation was laid for the other characters' future growth AFTER volume III. So with Jaune, yeah, he did nothing, but now the stage is set to put Jaune back on track and step away from the prior "mismanagement" now that there is a more unified vision of RWBY's story and plot line, instead of the more broader (and more haphazard) strokes originally crafted by Monty.

3. mach56gs

mach56gs Active Member

Who else likes how Jaune is developing in Vol 4?

He may not be likable to some for his attitude, but I think that this sort of cold and judgmental attitude accentuates how fluid his character has become.

He could sharpen into a cynic, he could soften his tone and become an empathizer, or he could find a calling and become some sort of crusader.

Right now the friction he has with RNJR and Qrow keeps us on our toes. They're all changing, slowly, but Jaune's how we see that.

ThatGuyRob and Mrmuffin like this.
  4. Mrmuffin

Mrmuffin New Member

Well, his development is not going in the direction I thought it would. Frankly, he's being a bit of a jerk but wow that's a far cry from how he was in Volume 1. Sure he was still kind of a jerk but at least he was empathetic to others.He's in a very grey area at the moment. I could easily see him becoming more of a neutral character as the series progress. He reminds me a bit of a mini Qrow at the moment, just lacking combat skills.

5. Kunren

Kunren Member

He's always been fairy cunning, if not straight up intelligent. I think losing his naivety in this trip has done wonders for his ability to gauge situations, such as calling Qrow out on the bait thing, which bad luck semblance excuse or not was a fantastic inference imo.

I've seen some hate for Jaune in the past few posts, I honestly hadn't realized he was disliked at all D: huge suprise for me

6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Much of the Jaune hate was much earlier in the days of Volume I and Volume II, but it has since died down dramatically from my POV

7. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

It was mostly due to the cliche bully arc in Vol 1, and his character development black-hole-ing in Volume 2.

He was a more likable character and played a good support role in Vol 3 which is why that freshened up.

8. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

Well a lot of people found him pretty insufferable second episode of Vol 3. But after that he was certainly better received.

9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

They were still salty about Volume II and were likely still a little biased. It's not like you can flip a switch and go from hating a character to liking them. It's a gradual process.

10. TheTieBreaker

TheTieBreaker Well-Known Member

So I've been thinking a little about Jaune after the World of Remnant today about The Great War, specifically the King of Vale. It's been theorized that the King was an ancestor to Jaune. Jaune talked about how his sword belonged to his great, great-grandfather who fought in the War, which was 80 years ago, and the sword was portrayed similar to Jaune's. The times match up and even though there were many technological advances at the time, they still weren't quite like modern times and a King might hold on to his personal weapon throughout the years. So let's go with that the King is Jaune's ancestor.

Jaune wants to become a hero because of nearly every male in his family before him doing something great. I feel there is some kind of family honor or tradition for the male to follow in the steps of the King and become great warriors. Jaune has seven sisters cause his parents were trying to have a son to continue this. Even though he was inspired and awed of the amazing feats of the King, he felt the pressure and disappointment of not being a good fighter from his parents or others, thus faking his way into Beacon. His parents even gave up on him, saying he could just come back if he failed at Beacon. He feels like being a great fighter is something he HAS to do, it's what everyone has done before him.

It's his own destiny. As Pyrrha said, it's a final goal and something you work towards your entire life. And Jaune agreed, adding if you really believe in your destiny you can't let anything stand in your way. Jaune knew he wasn't a good fighter. But it's something he's working towards, even if it takes his entire life. And he won't let anything stand in his way, not the evils of the world and not the deaths of those close to him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Jaune feels obliged in a way to become a Hunter, that he has something to prove. The history of the King just gave a little insight to that for me.