1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Maidens [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by AceofAces, Jan 5, 2016.

1. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

2. TheOmegaDynasty

TheOmegaDynasty Well-Known Member

FanausKing and MechaG11 like this.
  3. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

MechaG11 and TheOmegaDynasty like this.
  4. Setokaiva

Setokaiva New Member

I think the better question is, does their power stay if they... ya know, do the nasty? Because they are called "maidens", after all. Some iterations of folklore around that term link back to virginity as a requirement.

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  5. Aznpride1207

Aznpride1207 Well-Known Member

Well.... I guess it's good Pyrrha didn't receive amber's powers then cause going by that logic, even if she survived "the event" (I shall not dwell on it to spare everyone the tears) she wouldn't have been able to Jaune's "Arc"

6. Melkor

Melkor Member

I've had some thoughts about this topic and would like to share them.

Okay, first off, a question, does the rule of the Maiden powers only passing on to a female and being the last person in their thoughts apply to all of the Maidens, or just the Fall Maiden? I was kind of confused by that when they explained it and it seemed kind of vague. What were the exact words they said? I mention this because I think that it might be possible that the powers of each Maiden could have different rules and conditions that control how they are passed on, differing for each Maiden. The conditions of female only and last person that was in their thoughts might only apply for the Fall Maiden.

I bring this up because of an interesting theory I heard. So in RWBY, naming themes seem to be a huge deal, and they can sometimes be obvious foreshadowing. That seemed to be the case with the Fall Maiden. Cinder Fall, ends up taking the powers of the Fall Maiden, her name having foreshadowed that. That begs the question; could Summer Rose have had something to do with the Summer Maiden, or perhaps she may have been the Summer Maiden herself? When Ruby first used her silver eyes power, I legit thought she was unlocking the powers of the Summer Maiden that were passed on to her from her mother Summer Rose. At this point, it seems too obvious to not consider the possibility at least.

There's also another more interesting theory I have regarding Winter Schnee. Her name seems to foreshadow that she too could have something to do with the Winter Maiden, however, it is unlikely that she is the Winter Maiden herself; otherwise such an obviously important plot point would have been brought up and mentioned by Ozpin or Ironwood. This is where the differing rules and conditions for each Maiden comes in. What if the Winter Maiden's powers are something that has been passed down by hereditary in the Schnee family throughout the years? Either that or the Winter Maiden in the Schnee family chooses a successor and passes the powers on to them, the current one possibly being Winter and Weiss' mother or grandmother.

Winter was probably named Winter because it was expected that she was to become the next Winter Maiden, however, for some reason that didn't occur. Isn't it kind of odd how Weiss' father has chosen Weiss to be the heir to the Schnee family rather than Winter? You would think it would be Winter because she is the eldest child, but this could mean that Winter has been disowned by her father for some reason, and so because of this it has been decided that Weiss will be the next Winter Maiden instead. This could explain why Weiss' father wants her to come back so badly, because the powers need to be passed on, even though Weiss might not want to become the Winter Maiden.

These could possibly serve as indicators to the nature and identities, both current and former, of the Fall, Summer, and Winter Maidens. The only one that's a complete mystery at this point is the Spring Maiden, who is likely someone we have yet to meet or hear about.

#86 Melkor, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  7. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Nope. All of the maidens pass on their powers in the same manner. What happened with the Fall Maiden would have happened with any other Maiden, and there aren't different rules for each one. We can assume this because the Headmasters of the schools were protecting ALL of the Maidens, not just Amber.

Also, they've explained that Summer Rose was a "Silver Eyed Warrior" which is a different legend entirely from that of the Maidens, and Ruby is a part of this lineage. Ozpin and Qrow both talked about how a lot of legends and fairy tales come out of some truth, so it only makes sense that the Maidens Legend isn't the only one that's true. Yet the odds of Summer being a Silver Eyed Warrior AND a Maiden are astronomical.

Plus, having Summer and Winter be Maidens simply because of their names would have been too easy, though you're hardly the first person to initially think this back when the concept of the Maidens was first introduced. Personally, I think there's a reason that we only saw the Fall Maiden thus far: they're scattered across the globe trying doing good for the people of all 4 Kingdoms, not just Vale, and like I said before, the Headmasters of the other schools could be responsible for protecting the Maiden within their respective kingdoms. We haven't met the other three yet because we haven't ventured outside Vale yet. If some (or all) of the Maidens were people we've already met, then that would seem like a pretty small world. Ironwood probably knows where the Winter Maiden is (I assume Winter because Atlas is way up north in an Arctic-esque region), and the Headmasters of Shade (Vacuo) and Haven (Mistral) know where those Maidens are.

8. Melkor

Melkor Member

I like the idea of there being a Maiden in each Kingdom. It's kind of like a reverse version of the Avatar from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Instead of there being one person with four different powers from four different nations, it's four different people each with one power residing in four different nations.

Guessing which kingdom has which Maiden is another matter though, but it's fun to speculate on. The Winter Maiden could be located in Atlas, which seems like the most obvious one. The Fall Maiden could have either been from Vale because that's where she was being guarded, or Minstral since that's where Cinder Fall was supposedly from and where she might have learned of her. If we're going by the land and terrain of each kingdom representing each Maiden, the Summer Maiden could perhaps be from Vacuo, which is said to have many deserts in it. The Spring Maiden may be from either Minstral or Vale, but probably Minstral because it was described as having many swamps and forests.

9. Anubis

Anubis Member

Perhaps the "Silver Eyed Warriors" are a way to keep Maidens in Check or vice-versa? Maybe there have been a few Fallen Maidens in the past that needed an equal to take them down?

10. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

The "Silver Eyed Warrior" was specifically mentioned to be the bane of Grimm. I'm assuming the two tales are unrelated for the most part.