1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Movies

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Jaxrond, May 19, 2014.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Nope, not wrong at all. And Death Troopers are more than just grunts. They are the personal guard to high ranking Imperial officers, specifically those involved in the Death Star project as part of the "Tarkin Initiative," so they are the elite class of troopers.

2. Imaginary Person

Imaginary Person Well-Known Member

I just remembered something. Over the summer I learned
    that in the comics or something, Han and Leila have twins, which makes a lot of sense in canon (maybe they aren't twins in canon, but siblings makes sense). All of the evidence towards Rey being Luke's daughter also works for Rey being a Solo, because, as people often forget, Leia is also a Skywalker, including the lightsaber scene, where Rey gets the lightsaber. That's just my theory, though. To be honest, I just don't want Rey to be the child of Luke, and especially not Jyn.
    Probably because she's dead.
    I do not want to risk it.

3. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

No, Han and Leia do not have twins in the Star Wars canon. That's in the old Star Wars Legends. Moreover, it really doesn't make sense for Rey to be a Solo. There is absolutely no reason for why Han and Leia would abandon Rey on Jakku, nor is there any explanation for why either of them would not recognize their own daughter, especially after hearing her name, or why Rey would not recognize her own parents, if all of that was the case. Rey is a complete stranger to Han and Leia because she's not their daughter. The Solos only have one child: Ben.

And yes, Rey is not an Erso because Jyn dies well before Rey would have been born post-Endor. Remember, Force Awakens takes place 30 years after Return of the Jedi, and Rey looks much younger than 30 years old.

And I've said it before that it's pretty likely Rey is Luke's daughter, that he impregnated someone (possibly one of his female students). By the time Rey was a little girl, Luke learned of her existence, but this revelation came at the exact same time as when Kylo Ren began slaughtering Luke's students, so he entrusted someone to hide Rey on Jakku (where the Church of the Force, who had the map piece at the beginning of the movie, might watch over her from afar), and he completely prevented himself from having any contact with Rey so that Kylo Ren couldn't use these paternal feelings against him (the same way that Vader was able to sense from Luke the existence of his twin sister).

Not to mention the fact that from a thematic standpoint, the entire main Star Wars saga is about the Skywalker family, and to not have a Skywalker as a protagonist breaks with this overarching theme. In fact, it's been said in analytical interviews that the Star Wars saga could have easily been renamed, "The Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker" since it parallels a lot of story themes found in Greek tragedies. The prequel trilogy concerned the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker, the original trilogy was the rise of Anakin's children leading to Anakin's redemption. And now, the sequel trilogy will be between Anakin's grandchildren to decide what legacy Anakin will leave behind after his death. Will he be remembered as a Jedi Knight (Rey) or a Sith Lord (Kylo Ren)? Right now, there is conflicting legacies being followed, and the galaxy won't be at peace until that conflict is resolved. This means that one legacy option must destroy the other with Rey being the one to finally put the Empire (now the First Order) in the grave and killing her cousin and his dark master Snoke, so that she can carry on the legacy of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and rebuild the Jedi. Luke may have redeemed Anakin's person, but now Rey must redeem Anakin's legacy by expunging the last traces of Darth Vader's legacy, now embodied by Kylo Ren and the First Order.

Imaginary Person likes this.
  4. Mudkip

Mudkip Well-Known Member

In the Disney infinity 3.0 Kylo Ren says to Rey in a boss fight "fight me cousin". I forgot who that makes Rey the daughter of but I'm pretty sure that's it's Luke Skywalker. I'm also not sure if the game is canon or not.

5. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

That's been disproven. He actually says. "Fight me" and then "Curses" when he gets hit. It just happens in such rapid fire succession that it might seem like one sentence when it's actually two.

Mudkip likes this.
  6. TheTieBreaker

TheTieBreaker Well-Known Member

Damn Rouge One was fantastic!
    It's really, really cool to see this side of thr Star Wars universe. The struggles of war the willingness to sacrifice yourself for what's best. Very bittersweet with the end: we know how it turns out and there's hope, but our heroes are somewhat forgotten. We don't see Jyn or Cassian remembered for their deeds, just the people who actually blew up the Death Star not the ones who sacrificed the greatest and died (Of course in the originals this wasn't thought of yet, but in-universe these heroes are never mentioned).

Details were fantasic. Enough old and new Star Wars elements to make it feel the same and good different.

Love how they didnt force a romance with our leads. They were just two comrades-in-arms who where ready to accept death together.

All the good droids have snark. Even Vader got in on the action.

I just loved it all, can't wait to see what they do with more movies like this.

7. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

*wathces Rogue One*
    wow that was amazing.

I think the funniest thing in rogue one, funnier than all the jokes, everything, was that in the midst of all this make-believe fantasy star wars things, the centerpice of the movie was a magnetic tape held in one of these.
    [​IMG]

A tape silo. Probably ran on unix 8 too. It was just so bizarrely down to earth in that film. I was half expecting them to get the death star plans and have someone be like, "what's a .tar.gz file?"

8. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

How to do an amazing villain scene 101 feat. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Darth Vader.

-Preface that dangerous villain is on the move towards the heroes to establish tension by shortening the time for heroes to succeed during their final stretch? Check.

-Heroes are in a rush and are stopped by an unexpected obstacle building tension? Check.

-Setting is a claustrophobic hallway in the dark with a dead end? Check.

-Alarm blares over a sudden silence creating unease in the scene? Check.

-Villain makes a quiet entrance then illuminates the setting with his menacing red glowing weapon? Check.

-Choir music ques as the emotional height of the tension rises? Check.

-Frantic screaming and desperate blaster shots creating a horrifying atmosphere? Check.

-Villain effortlessly wipes away the heroes one by one as they are helpless before his power? Check.

-Last remaining hero passes object of hope in desperation to others knowing he will die? Check.

-Villain's theme plays triumphantly during his final shot standing menacingly while witnessing the heroes' escape? Check.

WIN WIN WIN
    100%

Imaginary Person and AceofAces like this.
  9. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

While we're still on the topic of Star Wars does anyone know who the figure is meant to be behind Anakin, on the complete Saga box art?

See the here.

I thought it might be Luke but he looks too old (this was pre-force awakens). The only thing I guess it could be is an older Anakin free of the Dark sides corruption (symbolic of how he was when he died). But I'm not fully convinced that that's the case. Either way it's a beautiful cover.

10. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

No, that's Luke, or rather his back