1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Naming OCs

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by Ember, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DASY

DASY Member

terra125 do you have last names and a theme concept for the team.

2. Terra125

Terra125 Member

I'm actually having trouble coming up with appropriate surnames for them. As for a theme... do you mean for each member? I have a good idea on Terra and Emeraude but still working on Rajah and Aero.

3. DASY

DASY Member

The theme is what the team is inspired by, I'm not sure if you need a theme but the main teams have it RWBY members are fairy tails. JNPR is based on gender bent mystical heroes.

my own team ideas DASY are based on myths, HONY is based on animals with Honey in their names.

4. Terra125

Terra125 Member

Ah I see now what you mean. I never actually thought of an actual theme. I mean The name of Terra's Weapon is Gungnir which is a Gun Lance and Emeraude uses a Rail Bow named Artemis.

5. Benermerut

Benermerut New Member

Team CNVS (Canvas)

Chiaro Scuro (alt name possibilities: Chiaro Oscuro, Chiaroscuro [last name])
    Nocturna [last name] (alt name possibility: Nocturne [last name])
    Verdaille Abellio
    S-something (formerly Staffage, before my glaring oversight finally became obvious to me.)

An abridged history on how I went about naming them: A while back, I was looking at the wikipedia page for chiaroscuro for some reason when the term struck me as being perfect for a RWBY character's name. From there, the next logical step was to create an entire OC team, so naming that became my priority. After a brainstorm, I decided that the team theme would be painting techniques and styles, and therefore CNVS was a perfect name. I looked through wikipedia for more techniques starting with N, V, and S and chose the ones that I thought could offer interesting things to characters named after them (specifically, each painting technique influenced the characters' Semblances, which influenced their personalities and flaws, which I then sought to explain in their backstories).

So, I had chosen chiaroscuro, nocturne, verdaille, and staffage (I tried to link to the relevant wikipedia pages, but I am too smol for that it seems? Got tagged as spam and couldn't post). The first three fit the CNR so effortlessly that I completely missed that Staffage doesn't directly relate to a colour at all. But by the time I realized this, I had made a character that essentially relied on this term, so throwing it out would make me sad.

I've tried playing with the word to come up with something colourful that still sounds similar or resembles the term in some way, but I've come up empty D: This is currently my biggest (and maybe only) sticking point with this team. I mean, I could pretend it's a justified name, since the CNR in universe is about relating to art and staffage is related to art, but that feels wishy-washy to me...

So, thoughts? And I mean both on the staffage situation and the team and other members' names.
    (this went longer than intended, sorry, sorry >.> )

6. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Not bad. I like how the names and theme relate to art since that is the canon reason for why the tradition of the Color Rule exists in the RWBY Universe: to show respect for the importance of artistic expression.

Fortunately, team names are fairly flexible, and you can use Staffage as a last name with a first name that means a color, or keep Staffage as a first name and have the color be his last name. Just look at team CRDL for example. The last person is Sky Lark yet the team letter is pulled from his last name instead of his first name, and he isn't known as Lark in the same way that Lie Ren is known as Ren.

Personally, I would use Staffage as a last name because it sounds weird as a first name, and then use a color that starts with S for a first name so that you don't need to rely on the Sky Lark example.

7. Benermerut

Benermerut New Member

Thank you, @AceofAces, that ended up being helpful for more than just the staffage character.

Team CNVS, in its finalized glory:

Chiaro Oscuro
    Named for the chiaroscuro shading technique. Changed from "Chiaro Scuro" to be not just the technique split in two, while also keeping true to the two root words. Plus I just think it sounds better.

Nocturna Frit
    Named for nocturne paintings which are evocative of night or twilight. Her surname is from "blue frit", the first synthetic pigment, more commonly known as Egyptian blue.

Verdaille Abellio
    Named after verdaille, paintings done entirely in shades of green. He's also the only member of CNVS to have his team theme unaltered for his first name, which is fitting as he's a rather in-your-face guy. His surname is taken from the Gallic deity of the same name, associated with both apple trees and the Greek Apollo.

Sorrel Staffage
    Named not for the herb, but the rusty red-brown colour. His surname is from staffage, human and animal figures that aren't the main focus of the painting but give depth to the work. It ended up making sense that his team theme ended up as his last name, as his family is a large part of his character. (And because I was thinking about family that I was able to find a fitting last name for Nocturna, so it all came together.)

8. regio3649

regio3649 New Member

I'm not really that great with coming up with good names that follow Monty's philosophy, but I suppose I can share an idea for one:

Mai Rune Rakuhitsu

Name Elements:
    Mai Rune- a pun on the color maroon
    Rakuhitsu- the initial brushstroke in Japanese calligraphy

9. Mezzo Fourte

Mezzo Fourte Well-Known Member

For all of you OC Creators…

http://www.meaning-of-names.com/search/

You're welcome. Just change the search condition to "Meaning/Definition" and search for whatever you want, be it color, personality trait, etc. This website is a lifesaver.

10. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

You don't know how many times I've linked this on the forums here.