1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Naming OCs

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by Ember, Nov 30, 2013.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Yeah, I find that when you already predetermine all of the letters in the team name, you box yourself into a corner.

It's a lot easier to have 1 or 2 letters figured out in advance, then start looking at team name colors that might include a 3rd (or even a 4th if you're so lucky) desirable level which may not be an exact fit to what you have in mind for your 3rd and 4th members, but something that you can modify the character's name to fit the team name.

Remember, character names are SOOOO much more flexible because the first name OR the last name can be a color reference, so it's easier to conform characters to the team name instead of staying rigid on character names and forcing a team name to happen.

Think of it like you're playing a game of Scrabble. Which tiles would you want? J, A, X, Q? Or J, A, [BLANK], [BLANK]? X and Q may be worth more in points than a blank tile, but that doesn't mean shit if you can't put them on the board.

MechaG11 and Mezzo Fourte like this.
  2. Mezzo Fourte

Mezzo Fourte Well-Known Member

Okay, I had a lightbulb moment and fixed everything with one first-name change. Team SINA (Sienna), coming soon to an OC Thread near you.

3. DASY

DASY Member

Still looking to use Logan maybe a double first name like Logan Berry or something close to it possibly Longan which is an edible yellow skinned fruit. Which means dragons eye in Chinese.

4. DASY

DASY Member

I have a team with inspirations based on the number three. These character will have the personality of 3 musketeers.

Logan Berry Gruff or Longan Gruff inspired by 3 billy goat gruff.

Gilroy Mason, red bricklayer, inspired by 3 little pigs

Nikitich Malachite inspired by the Russian foketail Dobrynya Nikitich and the 3 headed dragon and malachite is a green crystal.

Now 3 musketeers have a 4th member d'Artagnan. I have 2 ideas for the 4th member.

O'Connor Noir, Hound Black, inspired by Cerberus the 3 headed hell hound

The 4th member might be a robot an Atlesian experimental Knight called ax-O Electrum, inspired by the honest woodman and the 3 axes from the river. A gold ax, silver ax, and his ax. Electron is a Gold silver and copper alloy

I have several team name ideas and abbreviations not sure which one works best.

Logan LOGN, LGN, LGAN
    Longan LNGN with all 5 it's LNGAN
    Lemon LMN, LMNN, LMON, LEMN

Update on the team concept and character names.
    The colors are going to be based on plants. So the team will be LNGN Longan, A yellow brown fruit.

Longan Gruff (Gruff might be to on the nose for billy goats gruff so looking for possible alternatives.)

Nikitich Daikon ( Daikon the large white Japanese radishs. Making Nikitich a white knight.)

Ginger Mason. (I think Ginger has a better color association then gilroy)

The new character name for the honest wood cutter and his ax
    Axl Nightshade (night shade as a color is a shade of purple)

#474 DASY, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017 at 4:02 PM