1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo Community Writing Event

Discussion in 'Community Announcements & Events' started by AceofAces, Oct 21, 2015.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Credit to bringing this idea for a community event goes to @Benzie.

Hey all, it's almost November, which means NaNoWriMo is around the corner!

For the uninitiated, National Novel Writer's Month (NaNoWriMo) is a global competition that invites authors to write. Sounds easy, right? Well, here's where it gets tricky: the goal is to write 50,000 words, starting on the 1st of November and ending on the 30th. That's an average of 1,667 words a day! It's a challenge, sure, but oh so rewarding. And, despite the moniker of 'competition', it's not about 'winning'; it's all about writing, so give it a shot and show what you got!

Now, what are the rules you're asking? Pretty straight forward: don't start until the clock ticks over to the 1st of November and figurative or literal pencils down once the 30th ends. It's generally accepted that edits can wait until December- November is for writing!- but there's no hard and fast rule against it. There's no restrictions on genre, it can be original work or fanfiction or whatever you find in between, you can pen it out in a notebook or type it up on your computer, and the work can be done by one writer or multiple. Basically, anything goes, just get writing!

Do you have that fanfic idea you've been sitting on or a rough outline that you just haven't started writing because....reasons? Well, here's your chance to put those reasons aside and get down to it! Even if you don't think it'll make 50k words- or you're not sure if you will- this is a chance to come together as a community and cheer each other on! This is a month to celebrate the stories we love, the stories we've yet to tell, and the authors who make those stories happen.

If you're inclined towards original fiction, there's an official website for the non-profit that started this where you can track your progress and provide samples, sign up for workshops, and connect with authors in your area and from around the world (http://nanowrimo.org/). If you're more inclined towards writing for the RWBY (or any other) fandom, post your updates here and give us a taste!

Remember, the bottom line for NaNoWriMo is to write!

Scalor, Jaxrond, Popcornia and 5 others like this.
  2. Neopolitan Bonaparte

Neopolitan Bonaparte Well-Known Member

Tempting to do the sequel to Bad for Business for NaNoWriMo... Hmm.

3. GodofGamingRWBY

GodofGamingRWBY Well-Known Member

*raises hand* Do I have to write just one story? Or can I just write anything that comes in to mind... Such as multiple series?

*cough cough cough* Death Battles *cough cough cough*

EDIT: Nevermind, I believe I already know the answer. Time to give me a reason to start writing >.>

4. Eurowatch

Eurowatch Well-Known Member

I may give that Mass Effect/RWBY or Madoka/RWBY crossover a try.

Benzie likes this.
  5. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

To answer your question, it's not a "novel" in the strict sense of the word. It can be a collection of short stories related to the same topic. That's what I'm doing anyway as I'll likely string together some one-shot RWBY fics I've got lined up. But then again, I could always do Episode I of my RWBY x Star Wars crossover or my original idea of Greek Demigods as the personifications of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Decisions, decisions.....

6. Erevan

Erevan Well-Known Member

Hurray! Maybe now I can finally stop being a lazy pants and write out that darned Original fanfic I've been trying to get done for the past 12318273129736128764819246512987361829736187236819273689127465981254192874635 years. x.x;;

7. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Damn, you're old. Why don't you leave this writing business to the young talent? :p

8. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Well-Known Member

This sounds awesome! Think this will finally incentivize me to start my Destiny Fanfic, which I have characters and a plot for, but I haven't written a single word

Benzie likes this.
  9. Horkerkiin

Horkerkiin Well-Known Member

I like to dabble in writing from time to time, Im just to worried to actually share it with anyone. Might give this a go.

10. Eurowatch

Eurowatch Well-Known Member

I promise that unless you are writing a comedy, I will not laugh about your writing. I will tell you how to improve however.