1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Non-RWBY Cosplay

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Jaxrond, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Jaxrond

Jaxrond Well-Known Member

A thread for prop creation, costume-making, and other non-RWBY cosplay related things.

2. Jaxrond

Getting started on my 3DMG prop.

Hopefully this (and a few other items):
    picture058.jpg

Will turn into this:
    [​IMG]

3. GodofGamingRWBY

GodofGamingRWBY Well-Known Member

*clap clap clap clap*

Jaxrond likes this.
  4. iac300

iac300 Well-Known Member

Fallout laser rifle. image.jpg

KineticKaiser and Jaxrond like this.
  5. delfes

delfes Well-Known Member

Okay, so I'm trying to make myself a new costume and I know what I want. There's just one problem, I want to make the outfit from a fan art and I'm not entirely certain that it actually respects physics. Here's the second catch, I need it to be able to handle some pretty harsh treatment, because it's for LARP, not cosplaying, so I'll be running in forests, possibly taking hits and/or falling on the ground, and it needs to live through it. Any tips would be appreciated. Here's the picture:
    http://navy-locked.deviantart.com/art/the-silmarillion-of-Valar-Lorien-456068487

6. Jaxrond

@delfes I would contact @Tatsuyaryu (she's my go-to with costume questions [yes, Tatsu, I'm putting you on the spot]) But I would suggest finding a thicker white material, almost like the stuff on the outsides of rain coats, so that it's less likely to stain or tear.

7. delfes

delfes Well-Known Member

Stains won't be a problem, I had already made up my mind on changing the colors, with the whole "my hair isn't snow white to match the outfit" and a few other reasons, including avoiding stains.

The good news is, looking at it more closely, I actually understood how the outfit works, so all I have left is get a somewhat slightly similar pattern and change it almost completely to end up with the good result. I just hope thicker won't end up making the fabric heavy, I really like the effect it gets from the wind making the belt(if that can be called a belt) take some distance away from the body.

8. Tatsuyaryu

Tatsuyaryu Member

So you don't need any help? Sorry about a late reply I have been really busy... So you understand that the top alone is three pieces right? A long sleeved robe/dress like top that has a split at the hip. A sleeveless jacket that likely has buttons on the inside portion and a cut sleeve vest? I suggest something like silk for the sash, something shiny and light but sturdy, but a thicker material may give it more body, a thin one will tend to cling to the wearer because it cannot support itself. So even if it does seem heavier keep in mind that if it were light it may flow in the wind however would not look right when there is nothing to move it. Also I suggest using the lightest material on the bottom and for it to be somewhat elastic, a sort of muscle shirt material. By using that material the sleeves should stay in place. Also because of the pointed end you may want to have a string wrap around one of your fingers to keep it flat against your hand.
    But its your call bro... If you need any advice you know where to find me, just remember i'm not an expert sooooo i cant guarantee anything. I can only tell you what type of material will give the effect, and how you might go about doing it. ENJOY COSPLAYING!

9. Tatsuyaryu

Tatsuyaryu Member

ALSO I JUST REMEMBERED THAT THERE IS THIS STUFF YOU CAN BUY THAT ADDS A WATERPROOF COATING ON THINGS.... I don't remember what it is called.... but you should look into it.

10. Tatsuyaryu

Tatsuyaryu Member

@Jaxrond I suggest using spray paint for your gear. Get the metallic stuff. It will give it a more even coat... don't use duct tape because it will give it ridges and odd bumps. Sorry if you already know. Just saw duck tape.. and was like... Mmmmm... BUT I WOULD USE DUCK TAPE AROUND THE EDGES OF THE BOX PART, because of the ridges..... Welp....Peace.

Jaxrond likes this.