1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Original Grimm

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by Jett Ryu, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Person With Many Aliases

Person With Many Aliases Active Member

Perhaps the reference can be worked in later. Some sort of noise heard in relation to it.

As for the Worm, point. I think the design came before that dissipating detail came to light. There's a possibility that the Worm, when it grows large enough, is capable of actually hunting and eating other Grimm (which in turn hunt down even more things to feed to the Worm gestalt). It's just that gluttonous. I'll probably have to clarify the concept of the mud further, I suppose. I could argue that it's only the least decomposed corpses that still retain significant musculature and skeleton that are used, and the oldest stuff is what's been downgraded to mud. At any rate, such abilities can be removed in later revisions.

2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I thought the Tick-Tock was based on the Crocodile swallowing an alarm clock when he ate Capt. Hook's hand (at least that's what Disney has told me my whole life. XD). Sure, the eyes would tick back and forth whenever he stalked Hook (along with his tale), but that was because of the clock in its stomach.

@Person With Many Aliases, perhaps you can work in some kind of ticking sound whenever the Tick-Tock moves, like a rattle on the end of its tail so that when its tail sways back and forth when it walks, something inside the rattle makes the ticking sound.

Alternatively, you could have the ticking coincide with its heartbeat (if Grimm even have hearts).

3. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

Tick-Tocks:
    I'm with Kinetic, in that the name doesn't really work.
    Also, they sound really mundane, compared to the other Grimm. (hell, it actually seems under designed, which is an odd thing to see in this thread)

Worm:
    The name is lame (its really just a lazy form of attention grabbing, especially since it doesn't really have anything to do with the Worm itself).
    Necrotic = death of cells through injury or disease. Parasitic Creatures don't cover themselves in poisonous/necrosis-inducing material, since how would they be able to form the parasitic relationship needed to make it a parasite? (Also, parasites are tiny/small. Its kind of impossible to have a Giant Parasite........)
    Matter can't be dead, since its not alive to begin with (Yes, I'm being very picky at the word choices, but for this stuff, word choices are very important). Dead tissue, or the remains of the living works better.
    The whole 'controls Corpses' and 'Zombie Grimm' are a huge stretch that definitely wouldn't be supported by anything shown in show (especially considering how incredibly dark it is, in nature).
    And as Kinetic said, you can't really make Zombie Grimm, since that requires them leaving remains (also, beyond showing potential Territorial behaviour, we've never once seen Grimm attack one another in a way that supports a Grimm using another Grimm in this way).
    Also, if a Grimm was that large and Gluttonous, it would almost be guaranteed that Hunters would eradicate them. So far, no Grimm show that sort of behavior (They only really 'hunger' for killing those born of Dust, which is evident by how violently they often react when they notice Humans and Faunus. A gluttonous creature wouldn't be picky, since its very nature is about hungering for anything to the point of obscenity).

Its not a bad concept overall, just really bad for the RWBYverse.

4. Person With Many Aliases

These concepts are really one offs for the stories I had them appear in, which is why I didn't try too hard for the Tick Tock. As is, it's probably for the best I have a relatively mundane design.

I might need some clarification on the nature of "attention grabbing". I mostly choose names on the old holdout of making sure that most things I design for RWBY have some literary reference. Because I like it when they do. As mentioned, the material for the Worm is out of date with RWBY's current lore.

As is, to clarify, Worms start small, but can grow oversized like all other grimm. In the set up of the story, the attitude for Worms were that they were the equivalent of vermin for Grimm since they only appeared around the dead, than actually cause deaths. Over the course of the story, characters then become first witness to the capacity of a Worm if one was left alone long enough that it becomes capable of hunting down targets.

Parasite was probably a bad word to use, in retrospect.

(If the word choice is a problem for you, I apologize. I was mostly just throwing the designs out just to record them elsewhere. Well, I guess that's on me.)

5. Oneiros

Oneiros Happy-Go-Lucky Mod of Justice & Love
    Staff Member Admin

As long as your Croc-Grimm do make some type of clicking sound (bone plates interacting, for instance) to account for the name in-universe, I'm totally okay with it.

6. DevilMayCrye

1) "Attention Grabbing" names
    What I meant was, it seemed like you chose names that only sounded cool, but didn't actually make sense thematically.
    e.g. Parasitic creatures rarely ever have names like 'Conqueror', their names typically involve whatever they are infesting, objects/areas that are related to death or pestilence (like the Gravemind from Halo, or the various name for the Las Plagas in the RE games), etc

2) Not a fan of one shot monsters, especially given how little Lore we have
    If you need one shot monsters, I'm of the opinion of using 'Abnormal'/'Mutant' versions of currently established Grimm, mainly because its both easier, and it can be easier to accept straight off the bat compared to an enitrely original monster which doesn't fit the theme of the universe.

3) Word Choice
    As an aspiring writer, Word choice is very important to me, because different words mean different things to different people, cultures, and languages. (Its why I'm very picky about my words half the time)
    See, based on what you've posted, bottomfeeder probably works best? Or something similar that makes it clear that this is unexpected.

7. Person With Many Aliases

The Conqueror Worm is named after the Edgar Allen Poe poem, since for a while most of the early Grimm had literary references.

8. DevilMayCrye

My point was, that the name didn't match with what you were posting.

Beowolf works for the wolf Grimm, because of the obvious Wolf references.
    Nevermore works because its easily the most recognizable of Poe's poems, and it makes the obvious connection to a dark bird.
    Ursa is an obvious one, since Bears are Ursine creatures.

However, beyond the 'worm' in the original name, the Conqueror part didn't match at all. I don't know much in the way of older literary stuff, since its not really taught here.
    Hell, only reason I know the Nevermore reference is because of the Simpsons XD

9. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

The only good original grim I've ever seen was the Nightmare: a black horse with red eyes, a bone plate down the center of its face, and white mane and tail. The drawing looked really cool, too.

10. DevilMayCrye

The issue I've seen is that they treat Grimm as generic monsters, and don't try and mesh the OC designs with the currently shown creatures.

......then again, thats the main issue with a lot of RWBY OC content anyway......