1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Original Grimm

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by Jett Ryu, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Anime White Wolf

Anime White Wolf New Member

How about a monkeys? They'd be small, but fast and agile. Claws on both front and hind legs and a tail that acts for both offensive and dexterity purposes. Just can't come up with a good name for them though.

PS- I know this idea isn't very original, so someone else must have come up with it. Sorry if I stole your idea! Not intentional!

2. inventor121

inventor121 Active Member

I think you could call it the Babi
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_(mythology)
    And there's reason for it too
    Also add a sickle shaped barb to the tail much like the egyptian kopesh, this will make them feel scarier additionally you can make to red markings resemble hieroglyphs.

3. Benermerut

Benermerut New Member

A Grimm idea I first had a little over a month ago while reading a discussion on the wiki. I suspect it might not be well received due to its... unconventional abilities. Only one way to find out!
    (Also I see that there's a similarly named Grimm in the OP, but meh, I'ma just move past that.)

-----

Cubus

"Animal" Influences:
    Grey aliens, the Flatwoods monster, incubi/succubi.

Appearance: A juvenile Cubus is the approximate height of a fully grown, average human, however its limbs and torso are much thinner. It has a relatively bulbous head with a white Grimm mask over its face. It has two large, round, red eyes and there is a rounded, rectangular hole in the mask over its mouth, behind which bare teeth can be seen.

As it gains strength, the top of its head begins to peak. Once its head becomes roughly spade-shaped, it is considered mature. A mature Cubus also has thicker limbs and torso, but still thinner than a human.

Its only armouring is its mask. The rest of the body is typical Grimm black. The mask itself is pure white to begin with, but red markings begin to appear as the Cubus gains strength.
    (For a quick n dirty, but accurate enough, idea of what it looks like, imagine the puppet from FNaF with a different mask and no buttons or stripes.)

Attacks: Aura siphoning. A Cubus can actually suck the Aura out of humans and faunus and use it as energy to grow stronger. When feeding, the Cubus’ eyes glow yellow rather than the usual red. The more Aura a Cubus manages to steal, the more powerful it will become.

A mature Cubus may use stored Aura as a weapon, manifesting it as ethereal claws or spikes. The Aura may also be used defensively, as Huntsmen and Huntresses do.

After reaching a certain Aura threshold, a Cubus can take on the appearance of a human or faunus. This is known as a "Guise". It is important to note that no actual physical change happens, it is merely an illusion. However, the extra Aura does grant the Cubus enhanced physical attributes such as speed and strength.

Behaviour: Cubi are a particularly insidious breed of Grimm, and their behaviour will vary depending on the size of the human/faunus settlement they target. They appear to be solitary beasts, never having been witnessed acting in a group.

Juvenile Cubi are universally skittish, approaching only at night while their prey is asleep. The Cubus will cautiously stalk around dwellings, searching for an open window or unlocked door to gain entry. Once inside it makes its way to its target’s bedside, sometimes actually climbing on top of its prey, and begins siphoning away their Aura. People who have been victim of Cubus attacks awaken feeling much less rested than they should, and often experience nightmares during an attack. It is fully possible for a person to be drained to death, though since young Cubi are so jumpy, even the slightest movement from their prey or hint that their victim might wake causes them to break off their feed and scamper away.

Upon reaching maturity, Cubi become much bolder, risking exposure to ensure a longer feed, and more Aura.

The amount of time a Cubus spends gathering Aura depends on the size of the settlement it is prowling. Once achieving maturity, it will continue gathering Aura until it deems itself to be powerful enough to kill the remaining humans and faunus by force.

If a Cubus is not discovered before this point, it is almost guaranteed that the settlement will be lost. Thankfully, given the over-cautious nature of young Cubi, they are often scared off before gaining too much power.

Cubi that manage to gather enough Aura to achieve a Guise often undergo a shift of priorities. While they do not shy away from physically attacking humans when necessary, they seem to prioritize gathering even more Aura over wiping out the settlement.

Strengths: A Cubus’ power is only limited by how much Aura they absorb. Any Aura absorbed after reaching maturity gets stored away for later use. Theoretically, there is no true upper-limit to a Cubus' power.

A strong enough Cubus can hide as a human or faunus, allowing it to potentially go undetected.

Weaknesses: Juvenile Cubi are extremely frail, to the point that even an unskilled civilian could easily defeat one in open combat. Mature Cubi are somewhat stronger, but should pose no great threat to even a newly-graduated Huntsman, unless the Cubus has fed substantially.

A Cubus that has taken on a Guise will still follow the colour schemes of typical Grimm (red, white, black, yellow) which may help differentiate them from regular humans. This does not mean that these are the only colours present on the Guise, but they tend to be rather prominent. Distinguishing markings may be hidden by clothing, however.

Additionally, once a Cubus uses the Aura it has stolen, that Aura is gone. To replenish its Aura supply, a Cubus must feed again.

Additional Notes: Cubi that manage to attain a Guise are referred to as Incubi or Succubi by some, depending on the apparent gender of the Guise, but this is by no means a universally accepted naming convention.

Guise Cubi are extremely rare.

Cubi may feed on animal Aura in desperate times, though human or fauna Aura is greatly preferable. It is speculated that a Cubus will only take on faunus Guise (rather than human) if it has previously fed on an animal. This is merely conjecture, however.

A Cubus may not change the appearance of its Guise. Even if its Aura reserves are depleted to levels where it can no longer sustain the Guise and then subsequently regained, the Guise will appear the same.

Their ability to make use of stolen Aura should mean that they are capable of using Dust as well, but they have never been witnessed doing so. In fact, they display a certain wariness of Dust.

It is worth reiterating: Cubi can never generate Aura. They’re still soulless. They can only store and use the Aura they’ve stolen from humans or faunus.

-----

That's it that's all.
    As I said above, it might seem unorthodox, but I don't see any part of it that simply cannot fit in the RWBY universe no way no how. I'm certainly open to discussion though!

But tomorrow. It's well past time for sleeping.

4. FanausKing

FanausKing Well-Known Member

I always theorize that the Grimm were created to destroy humanity considering now we have Salem who despise Humans. Which leaves me that some point, Salem had some good relations with Humans until something happened that caused such great hatred.

5. Benermerut

Benermerut New Member

I was gonna suggest a rat-like Grimm, but I looked back through the thread and saw it was already done D:

But I'm gonna share what I called them anyways, because I think it's decently clever.
    They'd be called Nosferatu, after the film of the same name. The film in question was a rip-off of Bram Stoker's Dracula.
    While Dracula and other vampires are often associated with bats, Nosferatu's Count Orlok is much more rat-like in appearance, and deliberately so as he is compared to plague-rats throughout the film. Bonus points because "rat" is also right there in the name.
    A group of them would be called a Plague.
    The "Alpha" version would be called a Nosferatu King. Because of folkloric rat kings.

6. Sillva

Sillva New Member

Here is one I came up with for one of my fanfiction works.

Name: Wardrum
    Details: The Wardrum is a large Ape like Grimm with the usual black fur and bone armor that Grimm on known for however its underbelly is unarmed and bright reddish tent to it. Wardrum's are named as such due to their tendency to pound their chest before engaging in combat. Though they travel in packs they tend to fight/hunt as individuals. They are prideful and highly territorial, so much so in fact that they will attack just about anything that comes near their nesting grounds. This includes but isn't limited to humans, faunus, animals, and even other Grimm. They will even attack their own kind if they are from outside their group. These hyper aggressive tendencies together with their incredible physical strength makes them nearly impossible to contain nor control. Luckily they normally only appear in dense woodland areas far outside the four main kingdoms.

7. Terra125

Terra125 Member

I had originally thought of a Grimm called Wraiths but now that Geists we're just introduced, nevermind lol. Though I wonder if they have the capacity to possess humans also... hmm.

8. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

To expand on this, it'd be interesting if humans who suffer serious cases of negative emotion would be more susceptible.

9. Terra125

Terra125 Member

I had an amusing thought of an OC who has a Wraith, or in this case, a Geist inside him but despite having a few incidences, manages to control it and harness its dark powers along with his own semblance and Aura.

10. Sederance

Sederance New Member

I have a theory that Grimm become more human-like the longer they are alive. It is also known that Grimm evolve and grow more intelligent as times goes on. If Salem is a Grimm then she is the apex of what Grimm can become as what is more monstrous than humans.

I need help in naming Grimms for a fanfic I want to write. Some of the creatures I want to name include but not limited to:
    Creature: (possible names)

Sphinx: (Puzzle Noir)
    Gorgons:
    Harpies:
    Sahuagins:
    Minotaurs:
    Arachne:
    Shark: (Deapth Marauder)

Some of the evolutionary paths I have thought about included

Pirranha -> Shark --> Sahuagins
    King Taijutsu -> Basilisk --> Gorgon
    Nevermore -> Harpy -> Angel