1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by AeroDbladE, Jan 2, 2017.

1. AeroDbladE

AeroDbladE New Member

So in the latest episode we see our new friend Oscar having some issues because of one too many souls in him
    It's still not completely revealed what part he will play but it's obvious when Ozpin said he will save the world he doesn't mean recycling
    So what can we expect from him in regards to combat
    Does he have Ozpin's powers and will use a cane ?
    Will it be a pitchfork because of his farmhand ?
    Will his weapon also be a gun?
    What's his semblance
    Tell me what you guys think

2. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]
    Oscar is a simple farm boy who has become host to Ozpin's consciousness.

Jaxrond likes this.
  3. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Thank you for reminding us to create a character thread for Oscar.

Unfortunately this post being older means it shows up as first in this thread, so we'll have to cope with the incongruent nature of the first two posts.

4. AeroDbladE

AeroDbladE New Member

Sorry about that I was just curious and didn't see a thread covering it

5. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

No need to apologize. We were remiss in our duties.

6. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

The creation of Character threads isn't automatic because we never know immediately if a non-protagonist character is going to have a meaningful impact in the story or is just a flash in the pan (like, for example, most of the characters featured in the tournament in Volume III on teams ABRN, BRNZ and NDGO, who existed solely to be beaten by more important characters). There's always some kind of indefinite grace period between a character's introduction and the creation of a thread for him/her (unless it's blatantly obvious that a character is important to the overall narrative), and with the revelation that Oscar's and Ozpin's souls are bound together, we've reached that point.

It's just the indefinite nature of this grace period that leads to people asking for threads for these characters, and then us admins saying later on, "Yeah, they should have a thread by now," or "No, they're not important enough to have meaningful discussion beyond a specific episode or two," which is what happened in this specific instance. It's not a perfect system, but at least when demand starts to surface for a specific character thread, we're able to be clued in on whether the time is right for a thread or not.

7. Imaginary Person

Imaginary Person Well-Known Member

He's still Farmboi, King of Compost in my heart.

Jaxrond likes this.
  8. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

Anyone else curious as what his interactions with the main cast will be like? I don't know about this, but he looks to be about the same age as Ruby and arguably is in a similar situation of having a great power responsibility thrust upon them. So we could see some decent interaction there.

#8 Cybuster, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Jaxrond likes this.
  9. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

IDK, for some reason, Oscar looks a bit younger than Ruby does now. I think he might be closer to 14 (sort of like Whitley).

As far as how he might interact with the main cast, that still remains to be seen since he hasn't even left the farm yet, so we have no idea when (if ever) he'll catch up with RNJR.

Part of me though thinks that there could be some awkwardness between RNJR and Oscar. Think about it. Oscar isn't even sure if he's sane having a voice talk to him inside his head, so he would certainly be apprehensive about sharing that fact with anyone, and even if he wanted to share it, he might question if anyone would believe him. Then look at it from RNJR's point of view: here you have some farm boy appearing out of nowhere saying that Ozpin is talking to him inside his head. They would certainly be a little skeptical about that at first, and Jaune might even think that Oscar is more useless than he is since Oscar has no combat training whatsoever. He might have Ozpin's memories, but he doesn't have his own muscle memory to innately fight on his own since he's just been a farm hand this whole time. There could be some tensions because Oscar just isn't Ozpin, and RNJR needs its headmaster back, not some boy. Ruby might be the one to help bridge the gap, but I wouldn't expect Oscar to be welcomed with arms wide open by others.

10. Jaxrond

Jaxrond Well-Known Member

I'm more than a little freaked out by Oz's mention of the whole 'at first it was odd for me too' thing in ep. 7. Is the Oz-consciousness something that's passed from person to person when the previous host dies?

ThatGuyRob likes this.