1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Qrow Branwen

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by AceofAces, Oct 31, 2015.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]

Welp, Qrow's finally made his official appearance, and not exactly putting his best foot forward if his first meaningful scene is him being a drunk ass.

Discuss away!

#1 AceofAces, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
    Olivia Swan and Jaxrond like this.
  2. Jaxrond

Jaxrond Well-Known Member

Thinking that maybe something happened after Qrow was a meaningful part of Ruby and Yang's lives. Or maybe he just drinks when they aren't around....
    Curious to see if there will actually be a legit fight between him and Winter or if she's going to just brush him off (can't say that'll end well). Also curious about Ruby and Yang's reaction to drunk uncle showing up...
    And did he really not like their match? Was he even watching?

3. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I think people may be overestimating how large a part he was of their lives. The only thing we were told about the subject in canon was that he trained Ruby. If Qrow actually helped raise them Yang wouldn't have had to step up and grow up so fast.

4. Jaxrond

I was under the impression that he helped train Yang too. Then again, I don't keep up on this stuff as much as others do.
    So, we have a dead mother, a mother who disappeared, a seemingly non-present dad, and possibly even more deadbeat uncle. If this was the lineup, how did Yang and Ruby even turn out decently?

5. Cybuster

Ruby mentioned last episode that their dad trained Yang. While Taiyang initially shut down over loosing Summer everything else we have heard about him indicates that he is a loving and doting father.

So we know he got his act together (it's possible that almost losing his daughters shocked him into doing so).

6. Ember

Ember Well-Known Member

So far Qrow would appear to be a drunk, fatherish figure, has-been, scythe wielder with woman issues?

I've been rewatching Soul Eater lately and....
    Vic Mayonnaise voices...
    A sometimes drunk...
    Father....
    Has-been....
    Who IS a scythe...
    And has woman issues....

[​IMG]

Just sayin.

7. Cybuster

Could Qrow being a drunk explain why he's in such a seemingly low teaching position for someone of his skill?

He's meant to be one of the best Hunters in the world but instead of teaching at one of the four main academies he's stuck teaching in a small insignificant beginners school.

8. Jaxrond

I think Qrow might have taken a small dive off the deep end when stuff happened to his team.
    I personally think that he was in love with Summer but she was in love with Taiyang and there was all sorts of awkward there.

9. Schulz100

Schulz100 Member

Qrow was certainly interesting, to say the least, but I'm wondering if he isn't quite so troubled as this scene makes him out to be. Not saying he may not have problems, but that they might be less severe than we're assuming based on what Ep. 2 has shown of him.

Remember, everyone in the Good-Guy-Cabal (Ironwood, Glynda, Ozpin, probably other people we haven't met yet) seems to consider Qrow a prime and trustable source of information; if he were an somewhat incompetent usually-half-blitzed drunk when he's not teaching, I really don't think he'd be so in with the higher-ups on the good guy side. Also remember, when Yang found the picture of Raven's old home and took Ruby with her on her search for it, Qrow was the one who found and saved them. He's also at least a part-time teacher at a combat high-school equivalent (Beacon would in this comparison be the specialized Grimm-hunting college, like a technical college for monster hunters), and my brother can attest that teaching, at any grade level, is not conducive to regular bouts of heavy drinking. Not if you want to be able to teach well, maintain control of your classes, and by extension keep your job (he'd been a rather heavy drinker in his college days, and quickly found that lifestyle unsustainable once he started teaching).

I wonder if Qrow maybe just has trouble holding his liquor well (and not acting like a bit of an ass when he's past his limit). I have an aunt who'll come up with the craziest ideas for family getaways and will voice them with a tight hand around your shoulder until she's gone over every possible detail after her third or fourth drink. Qrow could be similar in nature; he gets rather kooky/hyped up and endearingly embarrassing when he's drunk, which happens fairly easily.

The thing that interests me more is that Qrow apparently wasn't impressed with Team RWBY's fight. They fought in the same day as JNPR and SSSN, and according to the bartender Qrow hasn't liked a single fight so far. Now, he could've gotten to the bar after RWBY's fight, but it seems like he's been there awhile, so logically, he probably would've seen RWBY's bout. Makes me wonder if he was the sort of fun-and-cool-uncle, until you got him started on matters concerning Hunters. Then he turns into a tough-love-drill-sargeant, especially where his nieces are concerned, because he'd rather they not skate by with average skills and get mauled to death by Grimm a few years after graduating.

Now, there's also the possibility that the Vytal Festival, timing-wise, is a bit of a sore point for Qrow, and seeing RWBY fight brought up some memories he'd rather not deal with, so he's doing his annual drowning-of-the-sorrows, just with extra vigor now that his nieces are set to be on the front lines against the Grimm in a few years.

Jaxrond likes this.
  10. Jaxrond

^This^

That was a beautiful summary of what I myself have been wondering. Bravo. *applause*