1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Qrow Branwen

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by AceofAces, Oct 31, 2015.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Eh, I don't think Griffons are that much bigger, but this isn't a question of which scythe is better or which scythe-wielder is stronger (Naturally, an adult is going to be stronger than a child and able to do more). The real question is which weapon "wow'd" people when they were first introduced, and I can safely assume that Crescent Rose wow'd us all in the Red Trailer, right? Because we hadn't seen anything like that before (at least I hadn't).

From the audience's perspective, since we're so familiar with Crescent Rose by now, Qrow's scythe would need to make a huge positive first impression in order to wow fans because we're used to seeing what a scythe can do. When the time came for Qrow to use his scythe form, we were already a little desensitized, so Qrow needed to really up the ante in order to wow audiences, something that would have been more possible during his fight with Winter so that we saw every aspect of his weapon instead of only a small part of it. I felt that the reveal of Qrow's weapon in this fight was more of a "wow" moment than when we actually saw his scythe for the first time later in the volume, and the fact that we didn't see it during the Winter fight actually helped contribute to the ultimate reveal being so underwhelming because of how little it was actually used up to that point. The scythe felt more like an add-on to Qrow's weapon rather than being his true weapon. It felt like, "Qrow has this really cool sword/shotgun combo with gears inside the blade to give it this cool mysterious look.....Oh, and it's a scythe too. Did I forget to mention that?"

That's what made it feel underwhelming to me. We were told since the very beginning that Qrow was a proficient scythe wielder, and everything in the first two Volumes alluded to it well. Then when we actually meet Qrow, he doesn't use the scythe against Winter, and doesn't use it for the majority of the Volume until the very, very last minute and only to perform one kill. This build up to nothing is very similar to all the hype that was generated for team CFVY, only to get a lackluster into of them just walking by, and then only seeing them fight in the fiasco that is the Volume II finale.

Sure, the wonky animation made it look worse and didn't do the moment any favors, but it's really the build up to nothing that truly makes it underwhelming. When that one kill was done, all I found myself asking was, "Is that it? Okay then. Moving on."

Imaginary Person and MechaG11 like this.
  2. Jaxrond

Jaxrond Well-Known Member

...I was just introduced to a theory I can't believe I haven't thought of/seen before and that I really could see happening: Qrow is actually Ruby's dad, not Taiyang.

I'm definitely sure that this has been tossed around here before, but, I just saw some fanart and was like '...holy crap'.
    I feel like it would explain things.
    Many things.

Mezzo Fourte and Aznpride1207 like this.
  3. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Impyrrial Inquisitor
    Staff Member Admin

An interesting video spawned by the reveal of Qrow's Semblance. It also includes an interesting theory about Raven's Semblance.

Note the song lyrics when the wooden beam falls towards Ruby and Qrow protects her.

Sund Riddare likes this.
  4. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Not you too.

Does no one understand a metaphor when they see one? Or a red herring (in the examples highlighted by the videos)? Or the fact that both theories about Qrow's and Raven's semblances are undermined by how fortunate RNJR has been for 6-8 months in having Qrow act as their guardian angel (without any hint of Raven being present during that time)? Or that this brand of "luck" is entirely based upon one's point of view (since in almost every example cited, someone benefitted in some way from this "bad luck" whether it was Qrow himself or someone else)? After all, can you really consider it "bad luck" if Qrow, or someone else, benefits from it, even for innocuous things like winning a video game? How would that be distinguishable from "good luck"? Or would any outcome involving Qrow be distinguishable from luck or skill or whatever?

And here's probably the most important question of all: are we really going to ignore Qrow turning back and forth into an actual bird in front of our very eyes? Are we really going to say that Qrow is more special than he rightfully is and has what amounts to 2 semblances? He may be an important adult character, but he's no Ozpin, so I don't quite understand why people are inclined to give Qrow this special level of treatment to say that his shapeshifting is not actually his true Semblance, but rather some unknown set of abilities that has no evidentiary support anywhere else in the show. That is a prime example of twisting facts to suit a theory.

Such is what happens when people read too far into coincidence and take the words of a depressed drunk with low self-worth at face value. He BELIEVES he causes misfortune for others, that he's no good for anything or anyone, but that's not actually true. It's a metaphorical extension of his ability to shape shift into a crow, given that crows are symbols of bad luck, thereby making them undesirable to have around. That's all that this is: SYMBOLIC.

Qrow is not an unlucky person. He's a depressed person who doesn't feel anyone can rely on him because he just lets people down. He's bought into his own lie about being cursed with unluckiness, and it seems so real in his mind that it is almost a self-fulfilling prophecy to where any instance of coincidence is incorrectly interpreted by him to be directly caused by something his semblance is emitting. There is no logic behind Qrow's words because it only focuses on the negative, a product of his depression and low self-worth.

The Supreme One likes this.
  5. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Impyrrial Inquisitor
    Staff Member Admin

The biggest hole in your rebuttal is that Qrow himself states that misfortune is his Semblance. If turning into a raven was his Semblance, do you really think he would truly believe that his Semblance is misfortune rather than just believing he himself has monumentally bad luck?

Furthermore, no one's said anything about two Semblances, but Maiden's have thrown in the deus ex machina known as magic and you yourself stated that Monty was just lying when he said magic wasn't real, so is some niche art of transformation really out of the picture?

As rebuttal to your "RNJR has been fortunate during their journey", what are you talking about? What fortune do you mean? We've seen a combined total of maybe 20 minutes of their journey (highly estimated because I'm currently intoxicated) and Qrow has been watching from a distance.

Cybuster likes this.
  6. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Wellllllll there is that one thing from Vol. 3 when his eye glinted but I'm not sure if that's a semblance or just an animation effect (I'm willing to say the latter since there hasn't been any further hint of its use. If there was they would have used it in the recent fight).

Honestly @AceofAces I understand exactly why you think Bad Luck is a stupid idea for a semblance since the technicalities of it are so arbitrary. I just can't buy your "he's tricked himself" theory. You've been pushing how sure you are of it, but I wouldn't put it above the writing to make it a thing since we've yet to see something as psychologically in-depth as your theory. Not saying I totally buy that it's his semblance, but I wouldn't count it out since CRWBY is...well, CRWBY.

Cybuster likes this.
  7. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

@KineticKaiser, Yes, I actually do believe that Qrow, in his skewed depression-induced logic, BELIEVES that his ability to cause misfortune for others is an extension of his ability to transform into a crow since superstitious people believe crows only bring bad luck. He has bought into his own superstition because of how low his sense of self-worth is. There is a huge difference between what Qrow BELIEVES TO BE TRUE, and what is ACTUALLY TRUE, and I honestly can't stress that enough. The way that he describes his "semblance" is more than just momentary bad luck, and is a troubling indication of a man who is psychologically broken. He genuinely thinks that he is completely unreliable and unfit to be around anyone he cares about, including and especially friends and family, because eventually he'll do something to let them down or put them in harm's way, so he chooses to isolate his himself and his heart, leading to the depressed alcoholic we see in him today.

Secondly, you misinterpreted my 2 semblances comment because I said what "amounts to" 2 semblances, meaning one is his actual semblance and the other would be magic, but my point was this: why is Qrow so special that he would be capable of wielding magic like the Maidens or gods? He's not like Ozpin, he's more like any other adult in this show, so why are people so quick to think that he's capable of using some sort of magic that no one else has explained or even noted to exist? We're literally inventing a new form of magic that is unseen in this universe to justify the inherent contradiction of Qrow's words and actions, yet the more logical explanation is that his only ability is turning into a crow, which is an extension of his depressed personality who grew up his whole life thinking he was worthless and unfit for any real and meaningful connections with people.

How do you think an actual crow, if it could think and talk, would react to the superstition that it brings bad luck? Do you think it would feel depressed and unloved by the fact that superstitious people would constantly chase it away even though there's no truth to the superstition because it is just that: superstition? Well that's how Qrow feels, only he's chasing himself away. That's the thing about depression: the thought process is skewed and bastardized by false assumptions of being worthless, and then the person develops a faulty logic to justify the false assumptions, seeing things in himself and others that aren't there. What is actually coincidence or things beyond his control, he sees as his fault. According to Qrow, everything is his fault, when that's not true.

Thirdly, remember back in Episode 4 (around the 9:30 mark) when Jaune was surprised they hadn't seen more Grimm during their travels, and that Nora exclaimed that they're luck was turning around, only to reveal Qrow following behind them and picking off every single Grimm stalking them and him scoffing that their safety was the product of "luck" when it was really him watching over them? This has been going on for 6 TO 8 MONTHS!! Yet it seems like the only times RNJR has encountered Grimm were when they went out looking for them, such as the Volume IV teaser and episode 1 in hunting the Ghast. We're 9 episodes in with only 3 left, and not once has RNJR been ambushed by Grimm during their journey, all because they've had the good fortune of having Qrow close by intercepting Grimm before they're ever close enough to be noticed by RNJR. If Qrow was actually unlucky, something would have happened to allow some Grimm to slip past him and harass RNJR, yet this hasn't happened in 6 TO 8 MONTHS!! Those are impossible odds if Qrow brings bad luck wherever he goes. And prior to his fight with Tyrian, Qrow was in perfect health as well, so he certainly didn't suffer any bad luck of his own in traveling and fighting Grimm for 6 to 8 months.

We don't see much of RNJR's journey to Mistral because literally nothing is happening. If they wanted to show us that them getting ambushed was a common thing, we would have at least seen ONE instance of it. But we don't. Not once do we see them fight Grimm that they didn't initiate, or some comment about how they're constantly fending off Grimm wherever they go. Instead, we see shock and surprise from all of them that this journey is going more smoothly than they anticipated because Qrow acted as their guardian angel.

That's what Qrow doesn't see, and I'm waiting for the moment to drop when Ruby reminds him that he's not unlucky. That him showing up to save them from Tyrian was pretty lucky since they were completely outmatched. That all of this bad luck nonsense is in his head, and he needs to get out of his own way. Think about it: Qrow has personally trained Ruby for years prior to the events of the show, yet it's only now that she's learning her uncle brings bad luck wherever he goes? It's only now that she is seeing this bad luck take effect and not during any of the several YEARS she spent training with him at Signal Academy? Don't you think that if Qrow was bad luck, he wouldn't have been successful in training Ruby? That his bad luck would hold her back or scar her in some way? Like the fact that RNJR hasn't had misfortune in 6 to 8 months, Ruby not suffering misfortune while training with Qrow for years are some impossible odds.

@MechaG11, "tricking" is the wrong word. It's depression and a skewed sense of self-worth, so when you have such a faulty foundation on how you look at yourself, the logic that follows, even if sound in the methodology, is inherently flawed because of the starting assumptions. If you spent you're whole life thinking you're an ugly duckling, when you're actually a swan, you're always going to think that way until something happens to change your core assumptions about how you see yourself. That's what is so terrible about depression: you only see the worst in yourself, and adopt self-fulfilling logic to further bolster this negative self-image. And given how common depression is, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to think CRWBY would make a character suffering from depression the way that Qrow is.

Sometimes, we can't take the word of characters at face value, because they are not the voices of God in the show. They themselves have limited knowledge and see the world from their own point of view, and how Qrow subjectively sees himself just doesn't jive with the more objective viewpoint that he is not unlucky, that his Semblance is only that he turns into a Qrow, and bad luck is purely coincidence that Qrow makes real in his mind.

EDIT: Do you guys want to know how I know Qrow is not unlucky and is just depressed? Because I myself have adopted the same logic as he did in the past. I know what it feels like to have such a low sense of self-worth. I know what people say when they think so low of themselves. And I know IT'S NOT REAL!!! I've personally been down this road, and I know where it leads, and that this isn't a real road at all. I know that when you stop thinking this way and learn to let go of the things that caused you to think so low of yourself, you'll discover just how much of it was conjured up in your mind and was never real.

Is it really so difficult to see that in Qrow? That his opinions on himself are just that: opinions, and not fact? That this "bad luck" is not real and that his depressed mind makes it seem real?

#97 AceofAces, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 at 2:38 PM
    Aznpride1207 likes this.
  8. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I don't quite this whole bad look is a such a silly idea for a power because of the technichalitays of it. I mean JoJo has way worse powers in that regard and makes it work great.

Of course RWBY isn't even close to JoJo's level, but I'm just saying it's doable in regards to making it work.

9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

The argument isn't that the "bad luck" semblance is a bad idea in of itself (though the arbitrariness of it reeks of bullshit). The argument is that people are being too literal and superficial in looking at Qrow's moment in which he bears his soul and reveals what kind of person HE THINKS he is, just like when Blake (in Volume II) revealed that SHE THINKS her semblance is a metaphor for her cowardice and how she always runs away from her problems and leaves someone else behind to suffer the consequences (like Yang or Sun most recently).

These two moments are identical in almost every way, yet the fandom's reactions to both seem to be wildly different where people were able to understand the metaphor with respect to Blake, but miss it so completely with respect to Qrow.

10. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

What you added at the end was literally a longer in-depth version of "I can relate to this and project my experience into the character to affirm my theory about them" that I've seen a million times before. I mean I understand feeling that way about a character, but when it comes to a show like RWBY that often plays it anywhere from vague to blunt with its exposition it's hard not to see it either or.

You can explain your theory all you want. If they include something that deep I'd honestly be very impressed by RWBY. It's a great idea that deals with a topic not often covered in a show like this.

I just don't want several others and I to be constantly told we're wrong for taking it face value or thinking a bad luck semblance is possible due to the nature of the show.

Cybuster likes this.