1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Qrow Branwen

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by AceofAces, Oct 31, 2015.

1. inventor121

inventor121 Active Member

So i was reading through more starlore and I found where the names Qrow Branwen and Raven Branwen came from. If this myth holds true in the RWBYverse then it could have interesting implications.

Protecting the country

Corvus, the soul of Bran
    Such Celtic traditions abound but have been superseded by the classical tales of the Greeks. Nevertheless their historical associations still remain today and none can be so powerfully epitomised as the legend of Bran the Giant. Bran is the brother of Branwen, daughter of the sea god Llyr. Branwen is married off to the king of Ireland, but is mistreated, leading to war between the Britons and Irish. The Irish king Maddolwch is defeated but Bran is mortally wounded by a poisoned arrow. He asks his followers to cut off his head and bury it in London, with his face to the south to stop the land being invaded. If one recalls the Celtic belief that souls become birds, then Bran’s soul becomes a raven and his burial place, Bran’s tumulus, is now the site of the Tower of London. Tradition tells us that if the ravens desert the Tower, then the land will fall to foreign invaders, giving us an entertaining story and direct link back to Celtic mythology and the starry sky as the constellation of Corvus, the Crow, or “Bran’s raven” as the ancient Britons knew it.

These Celtic tales and their affiliation with the sky are enjoying resurgence under new-age belief systems, but can be reclaimed by students of science in order to holistically connect modern astronomy to its origins and to discover ways in which myth, fantasy and fiction all combine under study of our heavenly heritage.

SOurce:http://www.lablit.com/article/341

So has Raven Branwen deserted the "tower" (quite literally ozpin's office)? and if anyone else notices Summer Rose looks alot like a celtic priestess

#71 inventor121, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. Michael7123

Michael7123 Member

Honestly, I would put him more at Neutral Good at this point. We see him acting like a typical "Screw the rules, I do what I want" type when we see him, but we have to keep in mind he's been working for Ozpin for years, and his main beef with Winter and Ironwood is that they feel like they're going against what their boss (Ozpin) wants. He's incredibly loyal to Ozpin.

Chellote likes this.
  3. Chellote

Chellote Active Member

An idea that I've come across and endorse myself is that the Branwen's are at least partially based on the Nordic mythos, where Odin has a pair of birds(which I'm pretty sure are a crow and raven but it's 4 in the morning and I can't remember :D) that are his eyes in the world, with one representing Dreams and the other Thoughts. If this is true, I wonder which is which and how it may relate to the truth behind Raven and Qrow's motivations, as well as Raven's true alignment.

4. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Nope, the pair of them are based on a Welsh myth known as the Mabinogion, specifically where Branwen (Raven), sister of the King of Britain, Bran the Blessed (Qrow), is betrothed to the King of Ireland to bring peace between the two kingdoms, but it fails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabinogion
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branwen_ferch_Llŷr
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branwen
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brân_the_Blessed

5. Chellote

Chellote Active Member

Ah, well I guess that's another theory debunked. Sounded so convincing at the time. :D

6. MayhemGodess

MayhemGodess Member

Any one else feel like Team RWBY is the new gen of team STRQ? makes sense if you think about it...

7. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Yeah, I could see that, especially since generally speaking, the apples rarely fall far from the tree.

Ruby/Summer: Silver-eyed hooded leaders (as well as mother/daughter who look very much alike)
    Weiss/Qrow: Outwardly abrasive, but genuinely cares about their loved ones
    Blake/Raven: Lone warriors who leave their teams due to self-imposed exile for reasons their loved ones don't understand
    Yang/Taiyang: Blondes acting as the parental anchor for their teammates (plus father/daughter)

A crude and simplistic analogy, perhaps, but one that makes sense IMO

Chellote likes this.
  8. MayhemGodess

MayhemGodess Member

Exactly what I was thinking not to mention the colours are all the same;
    Ruby/Raven: Red
    Weiss/Summer: White
    Blake/Qrow: Black
    Yang/Taiyang: Yellow

Had to mention this... I won't be surprised if Team RWBY falls apart in a very similar way.

9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I think they already did, remember?

10. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well that's a new look into Yang's character :p