1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Qrow Branwen

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by AceofAces, Oct 31, 2015.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Why do you gotta make things dirty? We were having a nice, clean conversation. "THIS IS FILTH! FILTH!" :p

2. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

you want me to take it back, then? :p

3. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

"LATER!"

Nah, it's fine.

The Supreme One likes this.
  4. MayhemGodess

MayhemGodess Member

@AceofAces oh yeah they kinda did I guess but i do see them reforming the team in volume 4 unless blake just wants to be that cowering pussycat she makes herself out to be

@The Supreme One Filth I say! Filth

5. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

I wanted to know if anyone else was underwhelmed by the Scythe scene near the finale.

The design was cool, but the execution didn't do it for me. Especially for a scene that should have been cool.

It might just be the way it was choreographed because the way the griffon got sliced didn't line up with where the scythe blade appeared to be going and how it was swung.

6. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I can't say I minded it, but that's because I never saw as a big deal to begin with (there were much more interesting/important things going on in that episode). It was mistake by them to have the sword form of his weapon in my opinion.

It dosn't help that the same scene had a much cooler reveal.

MechaG11 likes this.
  7. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

All other scythes pale in comparison to Crescent Rose.

No, I'm being serious. We've seen Crescent Rose do some crazy, ridiculous, awesome things ever since the Red Trailer. It's a tough act for any other scythe to follow. When you don't have the uniqueness points that a scythe would normally have (since this isn't our first scythe in this world), it requires that much more of an awesome execution of its capabilities in order to stand on equal footing to the "original scythe" from the fans' perspective. The fact that we didn't actually see the scythe form initially when Qrow fought Winter and that it only appeared very, very briefly towards the end of the volume for just one kill already makes it underwhelming, never mind any errors with how the sequence actually played out.

8. MechaG11

I actually think that because it sliced an entire Griffon in half in one clean slice it further proved Ozpin's comment on how it's the one of the deadliest weapons ever. Especially since Ruby hasn't done that yet.

I just think the execution was poorly done. There were a lot of ways to present it better but instead we had a weird interaction with Ironwood followed up by a badly lined up image of Qrow slicing it. On paper the power is there and it's cool, but in execution it came off awkwardly done.

9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

If I recall correctly, Ruby has sliced Grimm cleanly in half with single slashes before in the Red Trailer for example, both across the waste and bisecting down the middle (there might be more examples elsewhere in the show). Granted, she's using the recoil of the sniper to assist at times (though not always), but I wouldn't say that she hasn't done this feat yet.

I certainly agree with you that the animation for it was poorly done, but my point earlier was that with Crescent Rose being the first scythe the audience was seeing, Qrow's scythe had to meet a higher standard than normal in order to "wow" the audience because just being a scythe wasn't enough of a wow factor when we already were very familiar with Crescent Rose. The deck was already somewhat stacked against it and only a truly amazing display would wow people the same way Crescent Rose wow'd us before. Combine that high hurdle to outdo Crescent Rose with the poor display that we actually got, and it's easy to see why people, including yourself, would naturally be underwhelmed.

10. MechaG11

The Red trailer comparison kind of doesnt work though. Mainly because the Griffon is far larger than a Beowulf and thus presumable stronger (Ruby also fought one in the fight but didn't kill it that way).