1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Rules for the RP Forum

Discussion in 'RWBY Role Play' started by DevilMayCrye, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Matthias

Matthias Active Member

I use italics for thoughts, but I end up putting them in quotation marks. Bold is used only for imporant story elements (Like, when I post a story update as GM), or for loud noises. Normal dialogue is just used in quotation marks.

2. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

Just a thought, since I do have a decent grasp of RWBY canon, fell free to 'call me in' to the story as 'The Librarian', if you guys need help with it.

3. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

***AMENDMENTS TO THE RP RULES***

Starting today, new rules will be going into effect regarding RPs.

1. The RP Section on the main forums page is for RWBY-related RPs ONLY (which are considered "Public RPs"). Any non-RWBY related RP can be made as a "Private RP" in a separate Team Page in the Team Section of the forums. (Note: That this rule does not apply to any pre-existing non-RWBY RPs).

2. Public RPs must have a minimum of 6 members before starting and should try to maintain at least 6 members throughout the RP's life. There is no maximum limit on the number of members that can join a public RP, unless the GM sets that limit in the RPs rules.

3. Private RPs have a minimum of 4 members and a maximum of 8 members. Any more would remove the distinction between Public RPs and Private RPs (which are by nature supposed to be a little more intimate and closed off to a small group of people).

4. All forum members may ONLY join 2 Public RPs. There is no restriction on the number of Private RPs a person can join. If a person wants to join a new Public RP, but is already involved in 2 Public RPs, they must resign from one. The reason for this is to avoid people stretching themselves too thin and neglecting their commitments to prior RPs. (Note: Any member that is currently involved in more than 2 Public RPs does not need to quit their current RPs, but will be prevented from joining any more until they resign from their current RPs).

5. All GMs in Public RPs must notify a Moderator with any major roster changes, such as new members joining, old members leaving and/or a RP being deactivated. (A Moderator does not need to be notified if someone is only going to be inactive temporarily). These roster changes will be reflected in the Roster Board, which is posted for convenience to see who is involved in what RPs. (Note: GMs in Private RPs do NOT need to provide any information whatsoever about their roster changes).

These rules will be memorialized in the General Rules thread as well.

4. Pharaoh Shadon

Pharaoh Shadon Well-Known Member

@AceofAces
    Mainly for clarification, what would you consider a RWBY only RP?

As in it takes place in the RWBYverse and that's it? (I have a feeling that simply taking place in the RWBYverse isn't what you mean)

The plot has to be directly related to Grimm/Beacon/RWBY characters/Hunter huntress school similar to beacon but fan made?

5. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at with your question, but it's not as complicated as it sounds. If it takes place within the RWBY Universe, either using canon characters, events, etc or as an independent spinoff using RWBY concepts and lore, then it's a RWBY related RP. I have yet to see an instance where elements of RWBY were blended with elements from other shows (mainly because it's too complicated of a concept to accomplish without contradictions and confusion), but so long as part of it is RWBY related, it's a RWBY RP.

If you're wondering if the Black Nova RP is considered RWBY related, I'd say yeah, it's technically RWBY related since I see references to Grimm, semblances, and places in Remnant, but it doesn't give off a strong RWBY vibe since it sounds like your idea for Black Nova is fairly interchangeable with other similar fandoms. It's a free-floating concept that doesn't require itself to be rooted in a specific universe to work, and that's not a bad thing. That's just my impression. At first glance, I didn't think it was really a RWBY RP, but the RWBY stuff is there in passing so it counts. Even if it didn't, that RP would have been unaffected by the new rules since I said that pre-existing RPs did not have to conform to it.

6. Pharaoh Shadon

Pharaoh Shadon Well-Known Member

@AceofAces I wasn't getting at anything with that question. I personally don't plan on making another RP (Any time soon anyway) so it was more for other people to fully understand what that meant so they can put an RP in the right place. (Although I was curious on what something like black nova would be considered)

And I know that black nova woulda stood (You made it quite clear that things before the change stay) so I wasn't worried about that. Mainly just wanted a bit more clarification on that for future reference.

7. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

We're fairly liberal when it comes to judging if an RP has enough of a connection to RWBY or not. In reality, an RP would be considered unrelated to RWBY if there was literally no connection to RWBY at all. We've never really had a problem with non-RWBY RPs being formed in the public RPs section, but at the same time, this is not a general RP site where anyone can make an RP for anything in the public sections; this is first and foremost a RWBY Forum, so we'd like to see the public RPs be RWBY related to promote that. But at the same time, we're all well aware that everyone has other interests. I myself made a number of private non-RWBY RPs months ago for various non-RWBY interests, so we have the private RPs available to explore those other interests that are unrelated to RWBY, or for smaller RWBY RPs in general.

In reality, very little has actually changed. We've just written down what was once unspoken traditions.

8. Black_Chaos

Black_Chaos Well-Known Member

@AceofAces Just wondering but if someone is involved in 3 public RP's from before the rule amendments, would they have to quit 2 of those RPs to be allowed to join a new one?

9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Yes. The grandfather effect only applies to existing involvement and not involvement in new RPs. The purpose of the grandfather effect is that you didn't have to quit your existing RPs just because you're over the limit, but that you wouldn't be able to join new RPs until you quit your existing ones to bring yourself into compliance. To carry over your ability to be in 3 RPs at once wouldn't be fair because no one else can be in 3. If you want to join a new public RP, you have to quit 2 to bring yourself into compliance.