1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY Armor and Weapons for Skyrim (Relz and WIP)

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by Horkerkiin, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Horkerkiin

Horkerkiin Well-Known Member

Mod has now been released and can be found here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/79556/?

Hi guys, First off if this isn't in the right place feel free to move it/delete it as necessary just wanted to share with you guys what I was working on.

So I'd always wanted to make a mod for Skyrim and after RWBY specifically I wanted to make Pyrrha's armor and weapons. I have no 3D modeling experience, in fact I have no experience in what I'm trying to do at all.

I first tried this a few weeks back and had such a rough time and ended up not being able to make anything, I got frustrated and angry because I thought "How tough can 3D modeling be for FFS!?" and I put it down and left it. Then Monty passed, I'd always wanted to make this mod so Monty and the RWBY team could see it as there is next to no RWBY mods for Skyrim and I remember on one of the journals RT said to remember Monty by doing something creative and this gave me another wanting to do this mod, not just because I wanted to but also because it would be in some form of remembrance to Monty, My creative thing to remember him as it where.

After finally getting over my initial frustrations today I finally started, I started at 2pm this afternoon and its now quarter to 12 at night as of writing this I have just finished what I set out to do today, I have finished modeling the boots (no texturing or anything like that purely just the model) so over 6 hours just to make some boots if I'm honest I think I did quite well despite lack of experience and its my first time doing this.

However - ANY FEEDBACK IS WELCOME! so long as its constructive! I have a couple of Images of my work thus far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So let me know what you think and again if this isn't in the right place or you don't want it here please fell free to remove/delete as necessary!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROGRESS UPDATE!

Its not far from where I was last time, but I have been able to make some progress and gotten the leg armor to fit on both legs now, previously the leg armor was only set to fit the right leg but now i have been able to duplicate and make it fit on the left leg as well now, its not perfect some work still needs doing but Im going to do my best to spend AT LEAST and hour a day working on this so hopefully I can have decent progress updates every weekend

I know it looks a little knee knocked but that is just the shape of the body model in Blender that will all be fixed when the weight painting is done (weight painting wont be for a while though)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Progress update 09th August 2015

Ive decided to put all pics in spoiler tags, as they are screen caps they are quite big pics XD so pics for this update will be in spoiler tags below

So I have a few pictures here, I think Im pretty much dont modeling the skirt/sash/belt/pouches/pin for the lower body, meaning upper body next.

Obviously they look plain and lacking some detail which will be added when textured.

I had to take some "creative liberty's" (I think is the phrase) when making the sash, Ive had to simplify it a bit 1 because of my modeling knowledge/experience and 2 because if i have the sash curve round the back of the legs then when running in game it will clip with the running animation which id prefer to avoid, I did my best to make the sash look like a free flowing piece of cloth as i can.

PLEASE ANY CRITICISMS TIPS/ADVICE PLEASE TELL ME! I WANT TO MAKE THIS AS WELL AS I CAN!

Took a few different angels of the sash

Big update! will edit this into OP as well

Armor model is finished. In spoiler tags below there will be pictures galore, some pictures will have a couple of comments on them. Im still not happy with the shin pads however so I plan to rework them but the model itself is technically finished! With a total poly count of... 1005096....... which will most likley crash a computer or at least Skyrim if it tried to run something with this many polys. So next I get the glorious task of Retopo'ing, Baking, UV unwrapping, UV Mapping, Texturing, Weight Painting, Exporting from Blender to NifSkope, into the Skyrim creation kit and from there into Skyrim, so not finished yet!

So, out of the Skyrim races, what race do you think Pyrrha would be? The main candidates really are going to be Imperial, Nord and Breton.

Even if by some reason I cant get this to work in game, Im really proud of what ive been able to make (Which is REALLY rare for me) considering my noobness at 3d modeling.

AND PLEASE ANY FEEDBACK PLEASE LET ME KNOW! THERE IS PLENTY OF PYRRHA FANS HERE THERE MUST BE SOMEONE WHO CAN PICK FAULT WITH MY ROOKIE ASS MODELING OF THE EMPRESSES ARMOR!

anyway, Pics! in the tags

[​IMG]

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF MERCY TO YOU? Seriously this head model freaked me out a bit XD
    [​IMG]

bits like the trim of the armor will be textured on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually modeled in the lace for the back of the armor and the Bracer, just though would look so much better than a textured on lace pattern

[​IMG]

Managed to get the engraving as well! took some subdivision to do and some extruding but I got it!
    [​IMG]

Will texture the ring patter on, Tried as I might there was no way I was making that patter on the ring modeled, I just couldn't do it, spent the best part of half a day trying

[​IMG]

Will texture the pin's patter on

[​IMG]

Still actually contemplating doing a bit more to the sash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This neck piece was a real bitch to do

[​IMG]

Like I said am gonna re work the shins

[​IMG]

Like I say any crits, let me know!

Thanks guys!

#1 Horkerkiin, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. IstessR

IstessR Active Member

That's really cool! The shape is spot-on :) I'm super impressed that you're doing something like this.

You'll keep posting your progress, right?

Horkerkiin likes this.
  3. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Impyrrial Inquisitor
    Staff Member Admin

It's coming out pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    Pull out those flat parts on both sides of the middle crease so the creases on either side are gone. If that doesn't work out, then it'll be fine as it is right now.

Horkerkiin likes this.
  4. Horkerkiin

@IstessR Thanks! Was genuinely quite proud of what I was able to make and that dosn't happen often with me lol I will keep updating of course! Now that Ive actually started as well I will be more motivated to carry on with it!

@KineticKaiser Thanks! I did look at those after and thought it was a bit off so will go back to revisit them

Honestly though the fold over part of the boots was the hardest part, I honestly have no Idea how I made it happen I just messed around and it kinda worked lol I did my best to make sure there was no clipping issues with the fold over either so there is a slight gap between the fold over and the boot the only thing I have left to do with the model of the boots is adjust them slightly so they fit on the leg and foot of the character correctly.

I plan on working from bottom up which means once Ive done the last bits with the boots I will move onto the leg armor which is more than likely going to be the hardest part due to the intricacies of the design will then move onto the upper body armor/gloves/neckpiece and finish with her headpiece, after that its going to be a case texturing then weight painting and getting it into the game (I think UV mapping might be involved somewhere too).

KineticKaiser likes this.
  5. Horkerkiin

Just an update on this, Currently working on the leg armor though doubt i will have anything to post today if you look closley Pyrrha's leg armor splits into 4 parts, shin, thigh, knee and under leggings I never noticed before now but if you look at the Knew it seems to slot in the shin piece also noticed in proportion to the body I need to reduce the height of the boots a little. Will update further when I have something to show.

6. Horkerkiin

UPDATE! With pics

So on getting more into the leg armor I went to start the shin armor (Already have the under leggings done that was just a simple case of copy part of the leg and make it slightly bigger) I realized I needed to do some further adjustments to the boots would be great to get your guys feedback as per where Kaiser pointed out above Ive amended that part of the boot slightly, I have also had to lower the height as it was too high, Ive run into an issue with this, Pyrrha is quite a tall girl with long legs so the shows proportions wont entirely match up with Skyrim's so I'm working that the best I can - here is the images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the boot might look slightly on the wonk, its the only way its going to fit with the armor on the leg, On the boot the other side it will be a slight lean the other way.

Lastly is another part would like your opinions on on how it looks on the leg, the fuzzy, blocky texture on the leg is what will be turned into the shin part of the leg armor, I wanted to leave it on there as a reference the knee of the body is just above where that part ends, Do you think the boot looks to high up? or does it look ok? Also I know the toes are poking out but that's a non-issue as when its all put togethor the foot will technically be deleted so it wont be there.

[​IMG]

Oneiros and Rukie like this.
  7. Horkerkiin

Hi guys, Finally have an update on this in over a month.

So Ive spent the last 3 days solid working on the leg armor and I'm going to call it a night for now and carry on working tommoro. Please bear in mind there is still some adjustments to be made but nothing major just need to make the boots a little bigger to accommodate for the armor.

Also, please bear in mind I have no 3D modeling experience so as much as I want it to be perfect and will strive to make this armor as best as I can I have come to the realization that I will never make it perfectly. Some notes on the work - I spent a solid day and a half trying to get the Knee piece done, Ive tried to make it as best as I can so the shape isn't perfect but is the best I can make it currently - Im still fairly please with it, Also the leg armor itself might look slightly out of proportion as to what it does on Pyrrha, this is primarily down to the denizens of Skyrim not being as long legged as our goddess.

Lastly! Any criticism welcome, would love to hear your guys opinions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. delfes

delfes Well-Known Member

First off, I know nothing of Blender or other videogame/movie modelling programs so what I say might not have any effect.

-The upper leg armor and knee armor are clipping. At best, it'll clip a little in the game too and that's all there is to it(basically, you can ignore it). At worst, the animation considers model collision and who knows what kind of chaos will happen. Does blender have some kind of animation simulator? If it does you could try that, although I'm not sure if the result will be the same as in the game so the simulation might be useless.

Mmh, I expected to have more to say. Either way, nice work.

Horkerkiin likes this.
  9. Horkerkiin

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm aware there is some clipping issues that need to be sorted out as where you've pointed out, infact the only one I'm aware of is the Thigh armor and the Knee pad which you said, oh and of course the armor clipping out the back of the boots I know they need sorting Im just so tired so will finish them next time XD if you see any more though please let me know!

10. stealthytanub

stealthytanub Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's just me but for some reason the shin armor looks about 1/3 or 1/4 shorter than your reference material?
    Pyrrha is really tall though so I don't know how that converts into Skyrim meshes.