1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY: Grimm Eclipse

Discussion in 'RWBY News' started by AceofAces, Dec 25, 2014.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Guys! It's a Christmas Miracle!

This morning Gray Haddock posted a new journal entry for a playable pre-alpha version of the upcoming RWBY video game, Grimm Eclipse. Unfortunately, it's only available for Rooster Teeth sponsors (Maybe that might change further down the road if a full-fledged alpha or beta is produced, but don't hold me to that).

For those of you who played the original fan-made version, you'll recognize the feel of the game, but in addition to standard survival mode, there's also a mission-based extermination mode where you kill Grimm at specific points. It looks AMAZING! Especially for a pre-alpha. Yes, you're going to run into glitches (On my first play through, I fell through the ground), but it still plays pretty smooth in my opinion and the animation is a spot-on. You can even play with an X-box 360 controller in addition to mouse and keyboard (how that actually works, I don't know, but if you can get it to work, more power to ya).

If you're a sponsor, go check it out for yourself. Based on what I've seen thus far, this game looks VERY promising and I look forward to their continued progress on this.

http://roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=3289767

http://roosterteeth.com/rwby-prealpha/

2. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Impyrrial Inquisitor
    Staff Member Admin

The Xbox 360 controller will only work if it's wired, so you can plug it into a USB port.

3. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Ah, that makes sense. Though I wonder if I can do that with my PS3 controller using the USB charge cable. I'm able to play some games on Steam using a controller. Maybe it'll be the same principle.

4. KineticKaiser

Staff Member Admin

Ooph, this is definitely pre-Alpha. It certainly looks a lot prettier, and the enemies are a better challenge, but it's pretty clunky with a mouse and keyboard. When running forward, the action would often get "stuck", so rather than stopping when I want, I run several yards further before stopping. Enemies take a massive chunk of your stamina bar with every hit, so it's hard to pull off the special techniques when the clunky controls allows the faster Beowolves to hit you and rapidly sap your stamina bar. And you can't chain techniques because of the high Stamina cost.

I managed to get through all the regular Beowolves in Extermination, but I was donzo when the boss fight came. It blocked literally every hit and chains its strikes. I'm sure there must be some technique that breaks its block so you can wail on it, but it drained my Stamina bar at the start.

That being said, it's only the pre-Alpha, so there's still a lot of work to be done, and I can guess that these issues will be fixed. The graphics have been really polished since its first iteration as a fan-made game and the interface is easy to grasp. I can't remember if this was in the first iteration, but you can now use Ruby's Speed Semblance (which, in all honesty, is basically teleportation in the game).

5. Pharaoh Shadon

Pharaoh Shadon Well-Known Member

You'll need to download a program that basically tricks your PC into thinking your PS3 controller is a 360 controller. I set that up a while ago so it's tested and works by me :D

6. BlakeBellaAwesome

BlakeBellaAwesome Well-Known Member

I beat the boss i think my combo was left click 2 right clicks left click it seemed to break it then again it kind of was spamming my clicks then the occasional special mode so good so far.

7. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

My Thoughts:

Pros
    - The animation is gorgeous for a game of its type

- the environment is lovely

- Combos are very easy to chain together

- the UI suggests 4 player Co-Op, which sounds fun

Cons
    - The new combat system is ridiculously faster than the previous one. It seems to rely more on button spamming than actually timing comboes (since I was getting 12+ hits just spamming both mouse buttons)

- I like the inclusion of semblances, but its basically useless, especially because it takes down your shield, which you need for the health recharge.
    And the special attacks being fueled by the aura also meant I wasn't going to use them, considering how the shield itself was more useful than the attacks

- the camera feels awkward (for a mouse atleast)

- the Grimm 'phase dive' attack is way too OP for basic enemies. I can understand the boss having it, but the regular enemies shouldn't have, especially since they initiate it outside of Scythe range, so there's no easy way to either stop it or know its coming.

- I don't see the point of the arena becoming foggy when the boss arrives. Considering how the boss is a heavily melee focused boss, its nothing more than a pretty but useless effect

- The boss was too damn aggressive with its Phase Dive attack, with it only being easily beat by stun locking it against the wall so your scythe attacks couldn't knowck it back further.
    And the fact it regenerates health faster than you on top of being damn aggressive isn't good.

- There should be a menu option to enable the 360 controller, or atleast a quick guide explaining how to get it to work (since I plugged mine in and installed the drivers, but it wouldn't work)

- The 'Potions' mechanic from the previous Demo needs to be reimplemented, atleast for boss fights, otherwise its purely luck whether you defeat the boss.

- Was too easy to back the boss into a corner and just spam it with attacks, breaking the fight.

Advice
    - Reintroduce the leveling concept from the previous demo

- Add 'difficulty' levels, since this felt like a Medium (normal enemies) to Hard (the boss) range of difficulty, rather than a consistent difficulty.

- Implementation of one of the other RWBY members, so we can see the differences between combat styles.

Oneiros, The Juggernaut and Ember like this.
  8. BlakeBellaAwesome

BlakeBellaAwesome Well-Known Member

I gotta admit the whole Beowulfs having some kinda teleportation is too OP along with the phase dive. I've managed to beat the boss a few times without backing it into a corner but its mainly spamming the mouse buttons. However some combos are by a combination of the mouse buttons. The camera is very awkward with the mouse. But does feel like a very nice game, add the members ass more enemies and it'll be very nice especially since this is pre-alpha it can improve greatly but its a great start. I use the jump dash move and the sniper mode scythe as it knock back the enemy. However yeah the semblance being fuelled by your aura bar is a bit annoying

9. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

Too bad I'm thrifty and unwilling to pay for a sponsor position... (If someone would be willing to sneak me something through google drive, that would be kind of cool)

I do have a question, though, do they still use that stupid unity shit, or have they learned how to be real programmers. (My game design suite is Vim/G++)

10. KineticKaiser

Staff Member Admin

There are ways of asking this without sounding like a raging douche, you know.

ztan likes this.