1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY: Grimm Eclipse

Discussion in 'RWBY News' started by AceofAces, Dec 25, 2014.

1. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

#571 MechaG11, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Fuse

Fuse Active Member

Not everyone has a 2 monitor setup to play GE on one and watch Volume 4 Chapter 1 on the other.
    Even for people like me who do, it would be... less than preferable to split attention between the two.

MechaG11 likes this.
  3. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Oh goodie(?)

Seriously though, is it worth getting? That's the $25 question. I've only paid a cursory amount of attention to the game and the discussion surrounding it since I couldn't play it when it first launched and lost interest as a result, so I don't know if people actually think the game is good or not. Could you guys give me a quick review on what you think about the game and if it's worth buying?

4. Fuse

Fuse Active Member

I think as it is now, before tomorrows update, it is worth the early access price. Tomorrow's update of horde mode could add a lot to the game's value but I think it could use 3 things: A tutorial, some story introduction for those uninitiated to the series and a couple additional moves to each character's move set.

I will wait a day or two and look at JNPR to see how that is but I think if I do decide to get it, I will still be under the release price.

5. MechaG11

Tbh I would get it on sale if I were you as of right now. I'll have to play the Horde update tomorrow to give you a full assessment of it's price.

It's been improving overall as far as the game finally functioning. It really depends on what games you like as far as worth goes. Since I'm a Hyrule Warriors fan I have no problem using some of the same combos to kill hordes of enemies with and constantly playing for ability unlocks.

Put simply if you don't enjoy the combat, you might not like it.

6. Horkerkiin

Horkerkiin Well-Known Member

Did not realize the JNPR content drop was tomorrow. Will be picking that up.

I will be honest when I say I preferred the original combat system with different special moves you could perform and weave into your normal attacks.

7. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I liked the original Grimm Eclipse that was made before it became an official project if that's what you mean when you talk about the combat.

8. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

I still have that on my computer. It's the only grimm eclipse that was made.

Porkulus likes this.
  9. MechaG11

From what I understand the combat in the current version is different this time around.

While I'm not sure what the major differences are many people describe this current version as "monotonous" because of how the layout is. It's not very combo oriented despite having combos in the control scheme. I personally don't mind it and feel it's improved a bit after updates, but it does need a bit more depth.

Combat is more oriented around using basic combos to bring down health or provide hit-stun. Mixing counters in between so you can use heavy attacks that set up team attack opportunities. The more you keep fighting the more your ultimate meter builds, and it fills faster the longer the combo. Ultimates are used as crowd killers or massive damage dealers. Kills, finding collectibles, clearing waves, reviving allies, and team attacks give XP so you can level up and upgrade various perks your character has.

The perk trees don't change much as far as standard attacks go, but what is available right now splits into three sort of builds.
    -An Ultimate Build that allows for multiple ultimate meters and quick meter build up. Ultimates are stronger and can be used more often. The effectiveness varies depending on the character (Yang has a lot of raw power and can get meter fastest using her unique level 10 perk, while Weiss has a freeze AoE that is super useful for teams).
    -A Support Build that specializes in either range or team attacks (Blake has the best Ranged Upgrade). This build is a bit flexible since neither require a meter to pull off. Allowing you to get extra perks like "Medic" to revive allies.
    -A Survivor Build that involves having a lot of health/Aura and quicker Aura recovery speed. This is also flexible with other additional perks.

10. Demetrion

Demetrion Member

I've finally managed to read the article about upcoming update. Jaune Arc is able to do a charge instead of ranged attack? Excellent. I hope it would be as good as it sounds. Also Horde mode... I've never played the "original" GE, so I'm very intrigued.
    Actually, on a paper, team JNPR seems kind of OP... I'll see for myself today, but it would be pretty bad move if devs will make DLC-characters stronger than original team. Of course, it wouldn't be a direct "pay-2-win", but if something squeaks like a rat and stinks like a rat... But that remains to be seen.