1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY MADNESS! (A March Madness Bracket Challenge)

Discussion in 'Community Announcements & Events' started by AceofAces, Feb 15, 2015.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Hey all,

Everyone knows that the offseason is boring and devoid of interesting RWBY discussions so here's an idea for something fun.

RWBY MADNESS!

(Those of you who follow college basketball and the NCAA March Madness Tournament should recognize the concept).

The basic concept is as follows: all of the known RWBY characters will compete in a head-to-head popularity contest with the ultimate victor being crowned the Champion of RWBYForums. Alongside the popularity contest is a bracket challenge. Before the start of the tournament, participants will fill in a bracket with their guesses on who will win each matchup, and correct guesses earn points. The person with the most points at the end of the tournament will win a prize.

Here's the play by play of how this is going to go down.

SEEDING
    - There are 41 characters in RWBY who have made visual appearances. People that are interested will rank all 41 characters from best to worst in their own opinions and submit those lists to me by PM NO LATER THAN SUNDAY FEBRUARY 22ND.
    - You can use whatever criteria you want in your personal ranking, and if you don't want to do the Bracket Challenge, you're still encouraged to submit a list.
    - I will take everyone's list and compile the average ranking of all characters. The top 32 will advance onto the bracket while the other 9 are eliminated.
    - The complete list of eligible characters will follow at the end of this post. Characters who have been mentioned in passing, but have not made appearances (Summer Rose, Winter Schnee, Taiyang Xiao Long, etc.) are ineligible.

BRACKET
    - On Monday February 23rd, I will submit the blank bracket with the RWBY characters placed on their respective starting seeds. Anyone who wants to participate must print out the bracket, fill it in, and PM it to me.
    - Your goal with the bracket is to correctly predict who will win each matchup.
    - To be eligible, you MUST have your bracket submitted to me NO LATER THAN SATURDAY FEBRUARY 28TH.

TOURNAMENT
    - STARTING PROMPTLY ON SUNDAY MARCH 1ST, I will submit a weekly poll with the respective matchups for each round. Anyone (including non-participants in the bracket challenge) can answer the poll questions, which essentially boil down to "Which character wins? A or B?"
    - Voting will close on each SATURDAY MORNING (EST). The winners will be announced, the overall bracket will be updated, and a leaderboard for points will be posted.
    - The process starts again the following Sunday and will continue on a weekly cycle until the victor is crowned on SATURDAY APRIL 4th.
    - Scoring for correct guesses in each round is as follows:

Round 1 = 1 point
    Sweet 16 = 2 points
    Elite 8 = 4 points
    Final 4 = 8 points
    Championship = 16 points

TIE BREAKER ***NEWLY ADDED RULE***
    - When completing brackets, ALL participants MUST include their guesses for the percentage of votes the ultimate victor will earn in the championship match
    - In the event two or more bracket participants end up with the same point total, whoever correctly guesses the vote percentage (or is closest to the correct number) is the winner.

GRAND PRIZE
    - The winner of the bracket challenge will win ONE (1) RWBY Figurine of their choice (valued at $34.95 US Dollars + shipping and handling) OR any item(s) from the Rooster Teeth Store of comparable value (not exceeding $34.95 + S&H).
    - I will PM the winner to congratulate him/her and discuss the specific nature of the prize (which @KineticKaiser and I will be bank-rolling as the event sponsors).

Should any questions arise, feel free to post them on this thread and I will answer them as best as possible. Good luck to all contestants and may the best RWBY character win!

THE COMBATANTS (in order of appearance in the series)
    - Ruby Rose
    - Weiss Schnee
    - Blake Belladonna
    - Adam Taurus
    - Yang Xiao Long
    - Junior Xiong
    - Miltiades Malachite
    - Melanie Malachite
    - Roman Torchwick
    - Dust Shop Clerk
    - Professor Glynda Goodwitch
    - Cinder Fall
    - Professor Ozpin
    - Jaune Arc
    - Pyrrha Nikos
    - Nora Valkyrie
    - Lie Ren
    - Cardin Winchester
    - Russell Thrush
    - Dove Bronzewing
    - Sky Lark
    - Professor Peter Port
    - Velvet Scarlatina
    - Dr. Bartholomew Oobleck
    - Sun Wukong
    - Penny
    - Emerald Sustrai
    - Mercury Black
    - Tukson
    - Neptune Vasillias
    - Gen. James Ironwood
    - White Fang Lieutenant
    - Neopolitan
    - Scarlet
    - Sage
    - Qrow
    - Zwei
    - Coco
    - Fox
    - Yatsuhashi
    - Raven Branwen

#1 AceofAces, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Mudkip, ztan, The Juggernaut and 4 others like this.
  2. GodofGamingRWBY

GodofGamingRWBY Well-Known Member

This sounds extremely amazing... the only sad thing is that I won't be able to do it for multiple reasons (although a Nora figurine would be amazing...) I would like to see what everyone else thinks though >.>

3. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

You don't have to make a bracket to participate. I need people to submit lists and vote, which is arguably much more important than the bracket participation. The more people that participate in the lists and voting, the much better and more accurate results we're going to get on who truly is the forums' favorite character.

4. Erevan

Erevan Well-Known Member

I'm totally down for this. We just have to pm you our list of characters from best to worst, neh?

5. Oneiros

Oneiros Happy-Go-Lucky Mod of Justice & Love
    Staff Member Admin

Interesting...

6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Yup, that's all I need for now

7. BlakeBellaAwesome

BlakeBellaAwesome Well-Known Member

Love how you used Korean for yes and this is gonna be cool

8. Erevan

Erevan Well-Known Member

I didn't even know that. x.x

9. MaximusTheLord

MaximusTheLord Well-Known Member

i'm placing my bets on Cinder. (with Neo a close-ish second)

10. GodofGamingRWBY

GodofGamingRWBY Well-Known Member