1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Salem

Discussion in 'RWBY Characters' started by KineticKaiser, Feb 15, 2016.

1. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

that's a plot twist good enough for me to entertain the notion.

2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Eh, I feel like something like that would be having a "Vader is Luke's father" moment just for the sake of having that moment.

3. Lazy

Lazy Well-Known Member

I have arrived! Better late than never! Who called me? LOL

4. FanausKing

FanausKing Well-Known Member

Salem calls upon you, faithful follower.

5. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

If I'm remembering right Monty said he didn't want to use that particular twist and that none of the mains were related to the big bads. But I may be wrong (or maybe be was purposely misleading).

6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

You're probably right, but then again, there was that whole thing of "There is no magic. Magic is just what we call sciences we don't understand yet."

I'm not saying I have a problem with that, but the reason I bring it up is because they kept the existence of magic a secret from the audience so that we would learn about magic at the same time that the main cast in the show does so that the surprise is maintained, which is when we see Ozpin tells Pyrrha about the Maidens. I wouldn't dismiss the idea that RT would pull that trick again so that we learn that a big bad villain is related to a main character at the same time that they themselves make the discovery, again, to preserve the surprise.

The Vader Reveal is so iconic because no one expected it when it was shown, yet it does a tremendous job to alter the course of Luke's development by changing and complicating his relationship to Vader, which started off in such a simplistic fashion that was easy for him to understand as a newcomer. What makes similar practices cliche is that other properties don't take the time to appropriately establish the relationship between hero and villain in order to make the sudden shift have the impact that it's supposed to have, while also neglecting how this shift alters the hero's character progression for the better.

Also, with fandoms being sooooooo much more connected now to the creators of content, you have the fans asking these questions already and forcing the creators to either spoil the surprise, avoid the question (and tacitly spoil it anyway), or outright lie to throw people off the scent. Star Wars fans weren't nearly as able to reach out to George Lucas to ask about Empire Strikes Back in 1980 as we are able to now with RWBY through conventions and Q/As during livestreams and even through Twitter. Lucasfilm never had to deal with the issue of whether to spoil the surprise or lie because they were disconnected from the fandom and able to work on the movie in isolation so that the fans knew nothing until the movie actually came out. Just imagine how different things would have been if Lucasfilms was as open to discussion with fans about the original trilogy as Rooster Teeth is with RWBY.

I'm not necessarily opposed to RWBY following in these footsteps, but like all other things that are considered cliche, they have to do it right in order to make it work, so it's a high risk/high reward scenario. Right now, with the way things stand, I just think it would be easier to avoid this route altogether considering that we're only just now seeing Salem for the first time and she has absolutely no relationship or history whatsoever with Ruby as Salem (and not Summer).

White Raven and MechaG11 like this.
  7. FanausKing

FanausKing Well-Known Member

I'm I the only one that notice the dark sphere in most the volume 's intro? I fell that's some how related to salem.

8. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I don't know about that necessarily, considering the dark sphere actually appeared in the glove Cinder used to summon that Grimm-bug and then it appeared underneath Amber while Cinder was sucking out the Maiden powers. Prior to that, it also appeared in Volume II when Raven formed that portal on the train. I don't want to say it's all related just yet because there are a lot of dots that need to be connected first in order to make sense of it all.

9. Ranemoraken

Ranemoraken Active Member

My foremost question about Salem is if she's going to do back-flips in that dress? That alone might be enough to demonstrate her vast superiority.

Of course, by wearing a dress, it implies she need not do back-flips at all.

Hey did anyone briefly think that Salem was on the broken moon, but when they went back to check, was disappointed to see the broken moon at the end of her monologue.

10. TheOmegaDynasty

TheOmegaDynasty Well-Known Member

She doesn't need to do back-flips to show her superiority, what are you on about?

As for your last question, Salem is defentially not on the moon. I don't know where you're coming up with this stuff.