1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Semblances [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by The Juggernaut, Dec 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut Well-Known Member

Ah, the mysterious semblance. Let's recap what we DO know:
    1. Semblances are unique; there may be two similar semblances, but they cannot identical.
    2. So far, semblances that have been introduced are:
    Super Speed (Ruby)
    Glyphs (Weiss)
    Short distance teleportation/after image effect (Blake)
    Emitting fire (Yang)
    More glyphs (Glenda)
    Combustion (Cinder).
    That is a huge array of skills, which brings me to the problem that immediately presents itself.
    Is semblance tied directly to aura, or are the two completely different abilities?

Feel free to propose any theories, ask questions, and just discuss Semblance!

2. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Most Semblances seem to be more of a support or amplification ability, with the possible exception of Cinder's and Glynda's.

It's likely that a Semblance is a product of unlocking one's Aura. Aura itself is more of a passive ability while Semblances seem to require conscious effort to utilize.

It's also highly likely that one's fighting style is built around one's Semblance, rather than choosing a style and weapon and trying to Mickey Mouse their Semblance into it.

3. Inky

Inky Active Member

You can add Pyrrha who has Polarity (Magnetism)

They are the true abilities of a Hunter or Huntress IMO. Since anyone in theory could use their weapons. Their Semblances add to them and make them much more efficient. Blake for example has lots of movement in her attacks and uses two blades the after image she can create can fool an enemy for a moment giving her an opening from a different angle. Instead of having to rely on out speeding them or out maneuvering them she can add the obstical of an illusion to increase her chances of success.

4. Valravn

Valravn Member

Ren had that force field. I'm really not clear on how the not-magic(dust, aura, semblance) of the RWBY verse works. I hope they explain it more clearly in the next season.

5. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

Ren's forcefield was just regular Aura utilization.

6. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

From what I understand, to have a Semblance, one needs an Aura, since a Semblance is a unique manifestation of ones soul.

I'd like to point out only Ruby's, Weiss's, and Pyrrha's are the only people to have their semblances confirmed.
    Ren's "forcefield" was just him directing his Aura, we don't know his semblance.

Don't label anything of Cinder's. Since she's the obvious Big Bad, her powers are gonna be different (since I reckon her little Fire Prism thing is tied to her Glowing Gold eyes) to the main casts.

KineticKaiser likes this.
  7. Darksilver

Darksilver Well-Known Member

My theory: Semblances are a separate ability, but feed off of aura, using it like a battery. IDK really...

8. DevilMayCrye

DevilMayCrye Well-Known Member

I think its just another part of an aura, since both an Aura and Semblance require a soul.

They aren't "OMG, with this I can defeat a legion of enemies" type powers, just small powers that in some way, shape or form, compltiment how the characters move/think (e.g. Pyrrha relies heavily on throwing her weapons, to which her Semblance makes it easier to redirect them back to her hands, Weiss's allows her to move faster than normal and avoid letting her get hit easily, Blake's allows her to confuse AND hit from multiple angles at once, etc)

Lady_Vossler likes this.
  9. SwampMallow

SwampMallow Member

Dammit after the episode where they mentioned semblances I wanted my to be the after image thing but then they gave that to Blake so now I can't have that anymore or else I would been seen as a copycat

10. SwampMallow

SwampMallow Member

Can I have a Super Jump Semblance