1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Semblances [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RWBY General Discussions' started by The Juggernaut, Dec 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I think it honestly depends on the person and their personality. After all, with semblances and personality being outward expressions of a person's soul, there is an inherent link. More bizarre semblances are likely going to come from people with more bizarre personalities (or at least bizarre interpretations of a person's personality). Personally though, the simpler semblances are easier for fans to believe to be plausible and they're more able to coincide with a person's personality. The stranger you get, the more hoops you have to jump through not only to create a sustainable personality, but also to sell it to the fans. After all, there are a number of things that we still don't understand fully about the concept. Why make things more complicated?

2. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Looking at it from a creative standpoint, I think there will be more specific and varied powers as more characters are introduced (since they are all "unique" and can't be 100% identical save for hereditary stuff).

3. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

There's often an MLP comparison I see floating around where hunters have a combat related cutie mark but like bakers would still have thier bread cutie mark (semblance)

4. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

So basicly we should hope they never come up with something like this.

5. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

I seriously hate the existence of Sun's semblance in relation to other semblances in RWBY. It's a nifty reference and all but out of all the characters it makes the least sense and is hard to infer anything from it that would indicate what kind of person he is. This semblance just existing throws a wrench in a lot of theories and possibly even cannon if RWBY will never bother to explain how it's related to his personality.

It's unfortunate that a cool reference to the Monkey King happens to also be the worst thought out semblance so far.

The Supreme One likes this.
  6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I might be able to wager a guess, but part of the problem is that his motivations, aspirations, opinions on himself aren't too well known, so we have no idea what's driving him. Most of the fandom (understandably) sees Sun on a superficial level as a result, only judging him on his outward appearance and conduct.

What might help would be to look at not only what his Semblance is, but more importantly, how he uses it. Like Blake, Sun is able to create two tangible spectral clones of himself that explode when hit, just like how Blake's Shadow Clone dissipates when it's struck. What's telling is how Sun uses these clones. While Blake uses her shadow clones to run away and avoid being hit, Sun uses his in a supporting role to either distract an opponent (as first seen in the fight against the Paladin in Volume II), or to help a teammate (like when his clones gave Blake a boost when they fought the Sea Dragon). However, summoning these clones forces Sun to enter a sort of meditative state, which indicates the presence of some kind of hivemind so that Sun can maintain control over these clones since they are not autonomous.

Simply put, Sun is a team player. On more than one occasion, he's talked about how important it is to have friends by your side, and that you should always have friends help out with your problems (something that he's trying to teach Blake by following her to Menagerie). So what does Sun do? He creates his own friends to help out and mentally directs them to where they need to go and what they need to do, thereby allowing him to be in multiple places at once to help out as needed.

Sure, it can be argued (as Blake did), that leaving his teammates behind in Mistral to follow Blake isn't being a team player, but that argument is only true if Sun's absence causes an actual detriment to the rest of SSSN, and he made it clear that his teammates were safe and sound in Haven and that Blake needed his help more since she was out on her own.

That's my best guess based upon when and how he's used his semblance, and the few and fleeting moments where Sun displayed some sense of wisdom.

MechaG11 likes this.
  7. Melkor

Melkor Member

Any ideas for what Ren's Semblance might be or what it does? I can't remember if we've seen it before anywhere in or in interviews. Has there ever been any hints towards what his Semblance does? I'm thinking of possibly mentioning it in the fan fiction I'm working on if Ren doesn't reveal it in this Volume, or perhaps maybe come up with a reason for why Ren has still yet to use it up until this point in the story.

8. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Nope, we're pretty clueless about Ren's Semblance. It could be hyper awareness of his surroundings, like how he knew Tyrian was coming before anyone else, but don't quote me on that.

9. BaldursThones

BaldursThones New Member

Well Rens Semblance is most likely to be hyper senses. When he said someone's coming when Tyrian was coming they all got ready believing him. There is no way any of them knowing someone was coming.

10. Mudkip

Mudkip Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure his semblance is being able to sense who is a Rensexual and who isn't, he knew Tyrain in was coming because Tyrain got close enough the Ren's rensexuality radar that Ren knew something was coming.