1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of RWBY

Discussion in 'RWBY News' started by Ember, Mar 10, 2015.

1. SeaOfHope

SeaOfHope Well-Known Member

I thought the reason many people dropped watching Volume 4 of RWBY had less to do with the story progression and world building and more to do with the fight choreography.

The Supreme One likes this.
  2. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

I mean it's one of the reasons. That and the dark tone of Vol 3.

3. JaYC3P0

JaYC3P0 New Member

This may sound weird coming from a newbie but I think what you said hit the nail on the head.
    Things aren't going to be the same since time is always reminding us and people just seem to forget that not everything is going to be revolved around the same formula.
    I've been a fan of Monty Oum since my friends made me watch Dead Fantasy and I fell in love with his work. Fast Forward a few years and I saw RWBY and I literally jumped in excitement.

Its sad that he passed away, a unique individual whose way of thinking and how he approached life was the inspiration to many. It's depressing in thinking on what could've been.
    How would Dead Fantasy play out?
    Would RWBY be the same if Monty wasn't around?

But to reference the man himself, we must "never stop moving forward"
    This is a part of his legacy that he left behind and Roosterteeth, being the good guys that they are, decided they wanted to continue in his memory. We may not agree with everything that the writers have implemented and yes there are situations that we will be frustrated about (Im looking at you Sky Battle Scene in Vol 4 ep 3) but, at the end of the day, "Lets just live"

Let us enjoy this rollercoaster and mark out like a bunch of weebs

Aznpride1207 and MechaG11 like this.
  4. White Raven

White Raven Well-Known Member

5. MechaG11

RT YOU DO IT YOU F**KS! WE NEED THIS

Aznpride1207 and BronzTrooper like this.
  6. White Raven

White Raven Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I could not find anywhere else to post it. It seems the reason we're not getting longer episodes is because the budget doesn't allow it.

https://twitter.com/TheMilesLuna/status/807709402564280320

That's too bad. I would love longer episodes, especially now that the story has begun for real, and we're following so many different characters at different locations. It makes me wonder if there are shows RT could drop to put more budget into RWBY instead. RWBY might be expensive to make, but it's also a great money maker.

7. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

That's the wrong sense of thinking. It's not a question of allocation of resources or budget. Simply put, longer videos do not generate more revenue simply because they're longer. We may think it does by making the show more enjoyable, but it doesn't increase the number of views, which is ultimately what makes the show profitable.

Longer run times aren't going to suddenly win over people who aren't watching the show (either because they don't know about it or don't care to watch it), and those of us who are already watching the show are already a tapped out revenue stream, so making the episodes longer for us won't lead to an increase in profit. Those of us who already purchased First Membership are a fully tapped market, so even rewatching episodes won't translate into more views affecting revenue since such additional views are free of ads. Even First memberships and merchandise aren't enough since RT relies a lot on corporate sponsors by doing detailed ad reads during podcasts and news stories on the Know or AHWU, making videos specifically paid for by companies (like an RT short to promote a product or an AH video promoting a game), or attaching ads to their videos for non-members.

All longer videos do is increase production costs and shorten the amount of time available to put out the next Volume in a reasonable fashion, which isn't even for the benefit of the employees working on the show because salaried employees don't get paid extra by working longer on RWBY since there is no such thing as "overtime" for a salaried employee. Plus, salaried employees don't get access to the revenue streams from merchandise and such, so you're forcing employees to work even longer hours than they already are (which is a lot), and not paying them anything more, AND having to lay out more expenses associated with an even higher scale production with no chance of increased revenue to offset it. It's a lose-lose situation from a corporate perspective.

Not to mention the fact that cannibalizing other projects for the sake of RWBY is not a sound business strategy in any company. A company cannot survive on the laurels of one big ticket product.

Hell, look at Screw Attack. All that they were really known for was Death Battle, and they saw themselves struggling to diversify the way Rooster Teeth has despite the fact that they both originally arose around the same time in the very early days before YouTube. Now, after having been merged into the Rooster Teeth family, less and less resources are going to Screw Attack itself, and more focus is going to the new "Game Attack," which is the guys of Screw Attack rebranding themselves to be more like Achievement Hunter because of how much Screw Attack itself is declining. Without Death Battle, Screw Attack would have disappeared entirely. They may or may not have had other projects, but by focusing solely on Death Battle, they became a one-trick pony unable to really thrive the way Rooster Teeth has due to a diverse offerings of content.

At the end of the day, it's not an issue of them being unable to do it because resources are tied up elsewhere. It's an issue of them being unable to do it because it's just not a smart business decision to do so when there is no tangible gain from it in terms of views and profit. The only thing they do gain is goodwill from the fans, but at some point, asking for more and more of RT borders on the fans being greedy and setting unrealistic expectations.

Aznpride1207 and SeaOfHope like this.
  8. MechaG11

"Not to mention the fact that cannibalizing other projects for the sake of RWBY is not a sound business strategy in any company."
    Maybe if they didn't have so many damn projects than we could get some more polish on the better things...

In relation to this subject you're basically saying that the length of the content they're making doesn't affect the income? So something like increasing the quantity of episodes or the episode length won't do much for them since that isn't what gets them money?

The Supreme One likes this.
  9. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Firstly, despite what you may believe, RT is more than just RWBY, yet reducing their workload won't affect "polish" in the way that you think it will. At some point, all the time and resources in the world won't change certain inalienable aspects of the staff's abilities. Even under perfect conditions, perfection is an impossibility, so getting rid of shows that you have no interest in won't help the situation. After all, what if fans of those shows say the same thing as you, about how RWBY is sucking resources away from everything else RT is trying to do as a business? There are two sides to every story.

And secondly, what determines the profitability of the episodes themselves is their ability to generate more views, so there is no difference in profit gained between a 15 minute video and a 5 minute video. You could do more episodes that are shorter for the same cost, but that puts us right back at Volume I, which fans didn't like. So they reduced the number of episodes from 16 to 12 and made them longer to appease the fans. However, there's a balance between episode length and quantity of episodes: too many short episodes upset the fans, but making the episodes longer would lead to less episodes being released overall in order to keep costs in check, which reduces the number of potential views. Any way you tweak the balance between episode quantity and duration, something has to give to balance it out. You can't change one thing without affecting something else. (Not to mention that attempting to make the episodes longer affects DVD production).

The key is assessing what revenue a view generates, and if that amount properly coincides with costs. Making longer videos won't increase the value of a view to match the corresponding cost, so it's just not a smart business decision to do so.

MechaG11 likes this.
  10. MechaG11

Don't condescend to me about this. I used to be a fan of a good majority of RT projects during the RvB Season 9 days and a few years after that (I was a Halo fan first. RvB, RT Podcast, AH, Rage Quit, Achievement Guides, Fails of the Weak, Immersion, and finally RWBY). My problem is they have undeniably grown massive within the past few years and I have nearly dropped all interest in most of their content because of the how thinly they've been spreading their focus and cast around. I want to like RT's stuff, but I'm not the only one who feels like a lot of their content has suffered at the hands of them getting too big.

My issues being pointless of course because RT is just gonna keep doing what they're doing anyways.

Edit:
    As for RWBY I'm not even saying give the show a massive overhaul. I just mean fix some of the noticeable animation mistakes that should be easy to resolve (Vol 3's DVD fixing a lot of the initial problems).

#1120 MechaG11, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016