1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of RWBY

Discussion in 'RWBY News' started by Ember, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

Look I don't watch any RT stuff besides RWBY. But I understand that their other stuff makes money as well. It would be irresponsible from a business standpoint, to sacrifice the revenue that they get from other stuff in order to make RWBY better.

If you really want to talk about a waste of time and resources I imagine Grimm Eclipse would probably be at the top of that list.

2. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm saying I believe their expansion is directly related to the high and lows in the quality of their content. Their growth is good both financially and for the creators there who can work on what they want, but it also hurts their overall focus.

Also they shouldn't need extra revenue to fix tiny mistakes in the RWBY animation...

3. Eights

Eights Well-Known Member

Well, that's just kind of depressing, really. It's sound business and the right thing to do to keep the series in the black financially, but it's equally a creatively stifling process. It's a win/lose situation and I really can't fault RT for this decision.

And a lot of what Ace brings up is true. RT can't necessarily just scuttle entire projects that are probably also financially solvent just to make one financially solvent IP better, especially when little of what would be taken out would really funnel straight to RWBY. Hell, if they pulled that, it's more likely the viewers of those shows will just leave RT out of protest, even if they dropped their lowest-drawing show for this (and given how as a wrestling fan, I've become somewhat conditioned to have a low opinion of corporate intelligence, they'd more likely cut the highest-drawing show and expect viewers to funnel.)

4. MechaG11

INB4 Ace makes a 5 paragraph reply.

I have already lost interest in this subject.
    RT is gonna do it, I don't have to like it. Whatever.

5. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Again, I go back to my previous point about how even under the perfect conditions, perfection is impossible. There will always be flaws in some capacity, and what you think is "easy" to fix may not be easy for someone else, or at all. Hell, there may even be disagreement over whether something is flawed to begin with if such a "flaw" is based upon a subjective point of view rather than an objective one. After all, is it a flaw because it's not how it's supposed to be done objectively speaking, or a flaw because it's not how you would do it?

(PS. This is only one. You accuse me of being condescending, so don't dish it right back).

6. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I should point out that longer episodes might actually make the product look less polished, since that would mean there's more stuff to polish. Ultimately while we all have varying opinions on M&K's writing ability, most of us would agree that they have they have their fair share of faults and more resources aren't going to magically make all those shortcomings disappear.

#1126 Cybuster, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  7. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

you know, if they put a commercial break in rwby episodes they could make it twice as long because it would double the revenue.

8. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

People purchase First Memberships specifically to avoid ads (in addition to the early access). Do you really think they would appreciate commercial breaks, especially with this "I want it all, and I want it now" mentality?

9. MechaG11

Kind of silly to argue this with me when RT themselves fixed said easy to fix animation flaws in the Volume 3 DVDs...

10. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I wasn't aware of such edits, nor was I even aware of such flaws to begin with (I'm still not aware of any of the specifics that you're referring to, but frankly, I don't care enough at this late stage to want to know). But the point still stands that there are some cases where what is considered a "flaw" can depend upon one's subjective point of view. It's not always apparent that flaws are flaws from an objective standpoint, especially with respect to something like art that is highly dependent upon subjective taste.

Moreover, the fact that RT did it is not proof of it being "easy." It only shows that they were capable of doing it, but it does not suggest the level of effort needed to go back, comb through an entire Volume with a microscope, and edit flaws to such a satisfactory degree. I'm not saying it's proof that it was difficult, but it's certainly not proof that it was as easy as you claim it to be.