1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

The Nobody's Inn

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Natsu Dragneel, Jun 22, 2013.

1. TheTieBreaker

TheTieBreaker Well-Known Member

You speakin' from experience?

2. Erevan

Erevan Well-Known Member

Words of wisdom.

3. TheTieBreaker

Well, here I am. It's been a year since I've joined this site and damn it's been amazing. Everyone here is awesome and it's a cool place I've checked everyday.

When I first found RWBY there was something that really hooked me. I loved the show so much and I wanted to actively meet other fans. So I stumbled across here and tried to fit in the best I could. I started off just making funny stuff but slowly branched out more as I got more comfortable. Although I still try to be funny all the time, it can come a bit excessive and unnecessary at times. But you guys have put up with it and I'm working to be less obnoxious.

While it's hard for me to write down my thoughts and explain how I feel, it's been cool discussing various aspect of the show and hearing you guy's opinions. And being together as we go through the ups and downs and emotions and awesome stuff though the volumes have been incredible.

The RP section has been a wonderful new experience that's pushing me as a creative thinker and writer. It's so fun creating this world and characters and story. It's helped me think more on what I want to do with my own stories and characters. And thanks to you all for putting up with my comments and jokes every single post I made there.

It's not just RWBY though here, but Pokemon as well. I've never really had fans as friends growing up due to school peer pressure, and it's fun talking about little things of the games or show and making plans for bigger things down the road.

And most recently is the Discord. Being able to speak with you guys and just having a good time has had me laughing so hard many nights, it's just so much fun.

So just trying to sum it up, everyone and everything here has made the past year incredible. It and you are all so amazing and wonderful, and I'm looking foward to more good times with you all. Thank you so much.

4. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

5. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

So Michael and Lindsay Jones have just learned the gender of their incoming baby, and Michael decided to reveal it the only way he knows how: smashing something angrily

KineticKaiser and Aznpride1207 like this.
  6. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I'm looking to get into some of the new canon novels for Star Wars, and frankly, what I'm finding is a little underwhelming.

In general, it seems like the batch of novels coming out in recent years are very much meant to be linked to the movies or TV series, and there isn't a lot of risk taking on truly original works. That's not to say that these books are bad (well, not all of them). There are a few gems that I've found based upon Amazon reviews, though it seems like the novels that are supposed to be the backbone of the new canon are pretty terrible.

As a fun little game, I'm going to try to sum up the synopses and reviews for these novels in 10 words or less (while also including the average score). I'll elaborate further, doing my best to avoid spoilers, though with many of these being prequel books, what's there to spoil?

Star Wars: Aftermath Series
    - Aftermath: 2.8 out of 5
    - Aftermath: Life Debt: 3.7 out of 5
    - Aftermath: Empire's End: Coming Soon

"The Force Awakens' prequel trilogy, as written by 5th grader."

In what is supposed to be the core of the new Star Wars canon in detailing the end of the Galactic Civil War between the Battles of Endor and Jakku, you would think these would be crafted with expert care to actually tell a compelling story that showcases how the New Republic finally defeated the Empire once and for all, and bridge the gap between Episodes 6 and 7, right? Wrong. These books seem to be the most universally hated, namely because its author seems like he never learned the proper rules of grammar and sentence structure, let alone how to develop new characters you'll want to care about.

Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi: 3.4 out of 5
    "Dear Diary, Hi again. It's me. Luke Skywalker."

You would think that a post-Episode IV story about Luke Skywalker beginning to tap into his connection to the Force while serving as a frontline hero to the Rebellion would be the one Luke Skywalker-centric story people would want to read, right? Well sure, if you like an entirely first person narrative with the writing prowess of a teenager scribbling in his diary while he recounts non-sequitur experiences with entirely forgettable characters. What's worse is that those who are familiar with this author's other works definitely feel that he was constrained by his publisher and/or Disney executives to take as little risks as possible with Luke Skywalker's story, and the finished product is pretty heavily filtered from what could have been.

Star Wars: Dark Disciple: 4.5 out of 5
    "Rejected Clone Wars episodes leads to unexpected crack ship?"

This one requires a bit of explanation. There were 8 unused episodes in the Clone Wars TV series that involved Jedi Master Quinlan Vos teaming up with Asajj Ventress in order to assassinate Count Dooku. The novel is basically an adaptation and expansion of the scripts originally drafted for these episodes, which leads to issues in pacing. However, it's surprisingly good and explores characters you might have written off in the main series.

Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company: 4.3 out of 5
    "Band of Brothers with a Star Wars skin."

Yup, this is a video game tie-in novel. You know, for the non-existent campaign in Star Wars Battlefront. Yeah, that one, though it apparently does a good job at telling a real war story of soldiers on the front lines on both sides of the Galactic Civil War.

Star Wars: Lost Stars: 4.6 out of 5
    "High-end Star Wars x Romeo & Juliet fan fiction."
    OR
    "Still a better love story than Twilight."

This one is pretty divisive among readers as they either loved it or hated it. The problem is that it's technically considered a young adult novel that is somewhat similar to Twilight, so people immediately dismiss it as childish, particularly when it seeks to shoehorn these characters into the major events of the original trilogy (and even some original trilogy character interactions you'd expect to find on FF.net). Yet there are others who praise it as one of the best new canon Star Wars novels that does a good job at depicting two star-crossed lovers (both literally and figuratively) who are on opposing sides throughout the entirety of the Galactic Civil War (right up to the Battle of Jakku).

Star Wars: Bloodline: 4.3 out of 5
    "Screw you, New Republic. Need to stop my emo son."

This is probably the one book that consistently ranks high among people's list of new canon novels, as it does a fantastic job of chronicling Princess Leia's pre-Force Awakens time within the New Republic, and how the New Republic's gross inefficiencies allowed the First Order to rise, thereby prompting Leia to form the Resistance. However, I get the sense that it's pretty heavily centered around politics, so if you weren't a fan of the politics in the prequel trilogy, this might be something of a turn-off.

Star Wars: A New Dawn: 4.2 out of 5
    "A Rebels prequel with only a fraction of the cast"

A pretty standard prequel novel showcasing how the two leaders of Ghost Team, Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla, first met, though much of the story is focused on Kanan. If you were expecting the rest of the Rebels protagonists to make an appearance, well, too bad.

Star Wars: Catalyst: 4.2 out of 5
    "Everything you should have known before seeing Rogue One."

Rounding out the trifecta of prequel novels to new projects (the others being Bloodline and A New Dawn), we get the prequel to Rogue One, which shows us the relationship between Krennic and Jyn Erso's parents as Krennic and Galen first worked for the Republic during the end of the Clone Wars, and then later the Empire. If you were confused about the opening scene to the movie, or any of the flashbacks Jyn has, here ya go.

And that's pretty much it. There are a few other novels, such as the actual novelizations to the Force Awakens and Rogue One, and character-focused novels for Tarkin, Ahsoka, and Thrawn (coming soon), but as far as actually expanding the new Star Wars canon, these books really don't do much and really only serve to bolster the movies and TV series rather than stand on their own merits. Even the better options on this list are still tied heavily to the movies to serve as expositional support rather than the kind of independent works that can be found in the Legends Archives, like Shadows of the Empire or the Force Unleashed or the X-Wing series.

#8826 AceofAces, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. Sund Riddare

Sund Riddare Well-Known Member

Whenever I watch the Super Best Friends play any Souls game, I want to punch Pat in the mouth every time he starts ignoring the damage stats and telling Woolie that he doesn't need understand the how stats work in these games.

MechaG11 and KineticKaiser like this.
  8. GodofGamingRWBY

GodofGamingRWBY Well-Known Member

Apathy is death.

9. TheTieBreaker

*tries helping*

*makes everything more difficult, convoluted, and complicated than necessary*

Me: "Maybe you should see if someone else will help you."

Them: "Yeah, just maybe..."

Me: "Happy to help!"

10. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

So looking at the new power of primes pole for Transformers. I see all these people debating how who they vote for effects the IDW comics. Is it wrong that I think, I don't give a fuck,about how it affects IDW, I just want Star Saber to get a modern figure?