1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

The Pokemon Center

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by Jett Ryu, Oct 10, 2013.

1. TheTieBreaker

TheTieBreaker Well-Known Member

Breeding in OmegaRuby to recreate my team competitively. Did Treeko, Whismur, and Aron before with good Natures and abilities, but didn't think about IV's. Think I might just Bottle Cap those when I can transfer. Working on Electrike right now. With Quick Balls I caught some IV wilds with DexNav and eventually got a 5 IV female with bad Attack (which I don't need) and a male with 4 IVs. Haven't gotten another 5 IV but I'm looking for a male with Lightning Rod but might use Ability Capsule if necessary (cause BP is actually easy to get :p). Have good Natures on both parents (Jolly or Timid?) that boosts Speed and bad Attack. Have had bad luck cause I keep getting 4 IV females with Static. Just keep soft resetting. I'll have a few females with a few good IVs though when I'm done if anyone wants a couple for breeding, although I'm sure you guys have plenty of good stuff already.

And I keep seeing the sparkles in the hatching animation and keep having a heart attack cause I think it's Shiny. But it's not. But if it is I will question my life cause no man should have this much luck. But blue Electrike would be even more cool with Quick Ball. Better be a male though.

Edit: Settled for a Timid male with Lightning Rod and perfect Defense, Specials, and Speed. Can always just Bottle Cap HP later, but will keep trying a little bit.

#2441 TheTieBreaker, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Mezzo Fourte

Mezzo Fourte Well-Known Member

According to Serebii, Special Wifi Battle Season 2 starts up on January 17th, and the rules have been altered from Season 1 to allow (almost) any Pokémon in the National Dex. Ladies and gentlemen, the Bank update can't be very far off! :D

TheTieBreaker likes this.
  3. TheTieBreaker

[​IMG]
    Most likely, about damn time too. Knowing Nintendo they'll probably announce it a couple days before like their Virtual Console releases. Or there's a Treehouse coming up if I'm not mistaken right? Could they announce it there?

Game Freak impressed me, there are now options to have battles with no legendaries. No more Tapu Koko cheapsters, I can now lose with honor!

And also according to Serebii, new Rating Battles or whatever will include and allow Gen 6. Looks like those Pokemon will now be considered legit. I was worried with the small chance that they may make it so you have to remake everything in Sun and Moon.

4. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

If one parent has an everstone, then the child will get the parent's nature. If you breed for nature first (or force the nature), then use the everstone and the ball of string you can get a 5 IV pokemon with the correct nature.

Also keep in mind, Hyper trained IVs do not pass down to the children.

5. TheTieBreaker

I know the mechanics of breeding. The ball of string is called a Destiny Knot. I had the Natures perfect with Everstone, but I only had one parent with perfect IVs and the best male I had only had 3 perfect. The Knot chooses 5 IVs from both parents so thats 12 options to random. My luck was only getting 4 IV Electikes. I wanted a male as well and I mostly got females and with the wrong Ability. Like I said I finally settled on a 4 IV male with the right Ability.

I've read about Hyper Training and I know it's only superficial in changing IVs, just a neat way to keep a Pokemon with good stuff you like and not have to re-breed it. But I'm playing OmegaRuby anyway.

6. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

The ball of string is called the "Destiny Knot," but you're right on everything else.

@TheTieBreaker
    There's a pretty handy calculator where you can determine the probability of getting a Pokemon that you want after you enter the IVs of the parents and the target that you want along with percentage modifiers such as gender or the odds of passing down a desired ability (80% if female, 20% if male, and even if both parents share the same ability, there is still a chance that a different ability will be passed down, especially if a Pokemon has 2 choices for a normal ability aside from Hidden Ability).

Fiddle around with it, cuz once you understand how it works, you can get a realistic sense of what your odds are. And truthfully, the number doesn't need to be that high. If you can get the percentage over 2%, that's pretty good (about 1 in 40 eggs).

http://mkwrs.com/destiny_knot/
    (It says it's for X/Y, but nothing has changed for breeding, so it still works in Gen VII)

Also, you really shouldn't be going for all perfect IVs. Unless you're using mixing Physical Attack and Special Attack (which you really shouldn't because it's better from an EV standpoint to focus in one attack stat or the other), you can have the "best" offspring with just 5 perfect IVs.

In your example above where you had one parent with 6 IVs and the other with 3, do you know what the odds are off getting a perfect 6IV offspring from that (ignoring gender, abilities, shininess, etc)? 0.5859% or 1 out of 171 eggs.

What are the odds of getting 5 IVs (especially if the one IV you're not going for is one that your 3 IV parent doesn't have anyway)? 5.0781% or 1 in 20 eggs. If the 3 IV parent really only has 2 desirable IVs (because you're forgetting about the third), the odds are cut approximately in half to 2.6042% or 1 in 38 eggs, which is still really good.

By focusing on just 5 IVs instead of 6, you're 8.55 times more likely to get a desirable offspring, all because you're not reliant on the RNG needed to determine the 6th IV. And the result is the same because a Physical Attacker has no use for Sp.Atk, and vice versa. And if you keep swapping in better parents as the process goes along, the odds of success keep going up.

(EDIT: Even if both parents are perfect, the odds of having a perfect 6 IV offspring is only 3.125% or 1 in 32 eggs. If it's 5 IVs you're going for, the odds are 19.2708% or 1 in 5 eggs!)

7. TheTieBreaker

I was focusing on five. I thought I said I had all perfect female except for Physical Attack in my first post. I was never focusing on that and just the other 5 stats. When I just mentioned the perfect IV mother I meant perfect in everything except the useless Physical Attack. Either way I'm pleased with what i got, just need one Bottle Cap when I transfer to Sun and Moon to max HP IV. The Abilities were just a small annoyance and I'm willing to use up Ability Capsules if necessary.

Thanks for the help and advice, but I know what I'm doing :)

8. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

but wait, you have a 4 IV male now.

Breed the 4 IV female with it to get a 5 IV offspring. (the bottle cap is waaaay harder to get another of)

9. TheTieBreaker

Cause I really hate breeding. My least favorite thing in Pokemon. But I've given it a try so I can try out being somewhat competitive. I'm willing to raise a Pokemon to Lv 100 than breed for several more hours as stupid as that sounds. And with the luck I was having I was ready to take the first best thing I got. And I'm happy with it. Hell even if I don't want to max HP IV I'm still happy and would use it.

10. Mezzo Fourte

Mezzo Fourte Well-Known Member

@AceofAces is right, Wondertrading is AMAZING. I was trading away breedjects and kindly received a Level 100 Shiny Adamant Skill Link Shellder in a Luxury Ball with Shell Smash, Rock Blast, Icicle Spear, and Razor Shell, holding a White Herb. Oh, and did I mention that all 6 of its IVs are perfect? Not Hyper-trained, but rather naturally perfect. Its beautiful. Too beautiful... I'm convinced it's a hack, somehow. This is literally too good to be true.

AceofAces and TheTieBreaker like this.