1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 1: The Next Step

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Oct 22, 2016.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Thread will go live when the episode does tomorrow at around 1PM EST.

None of this is new information, but I want to re-emphasize that all discussion regarding new episodes of Volume IV must remain here in the episode discussion threads until they are available to the public on RT.com. This includes all fan art, memes, character discussions, and general discussion threads. Anyone who breaks this rule will be issued a formal warning point without exception. We were kinda lax about this policy during RWBY Chibi due to the nature of the show, which is why we're reminding people now about this so that there's no confusion.

We feel that 24 hours is not a long time to wait in order to post the latest piece of fan art, and we expect everyone to exercise this patience to avoid spoiling things for people who are not RT First members. That being said, if you are not a First member, this will be your only warning that clicking on an episode thread the day that it premieres will be inviting spoilers. If you don't want to be spoiled, just ignore the thread.

But like I said, none of this is new, and the vast majority of people here have been good and haven't broken this rule in the past, so if we keep doing what we've been doing already, there won't be any problems. We can all just sit back and enjoy this show that we all love once again.

2. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Thread is live

3. jan

jan Well-Known Member

Cinder done got fucked up also pour Jaune

4. EmeraldGuardian

[​IMG]
    DEMENTOR Grimm confirmed! lol :p

MechaG11 and Aznpride1207 like this.
  5. Tamm

Tamm Member

Yay!!

Oh, and "Team JNRR"? Pfft. Nevah!

6. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

Since I whined before I guess I might aswell throw my hat in..

Seem RT's solution to having too many villains, is to give us a break from the current batch, since Cinder (and by extension Merc and Em) will be out of action for the time being. Not a bad idea I guess, it can freshen things up a bit to have a different batch of villains. It is kind of strange to see her in such a vulnerable state as well as to see her much further down the totem pole. I like most these new guys but crazy laughing is pretty grating, to bad he looks to be the one we will see the most of, for the time being.

So it seems the silver eyes aren't as powerful as we thought. According to our villains, Cinder (even without using the maiden's power) would have been able to handle her if it wasn't for some kind of weakness that comes with being a maiden. Seems very likely that our baddies are the ones who killed Summer "We've dealt with their kind before".

So possession Grimms are now canon to the main series it seems. I liked the scene overall, but Nora's final blow to it came off as very flaccid. Fortunately the shot of Ruby killing it's ghost form, was fucking cool.

Nice scene of Jaune's new armour and weapon, the fact that it's made from the remains of P-money's weapons/crown, is a nice touch.

Ruby laughing at Jaune's shirt went on bit to long and I think the big head zoom in, hurt what would have otherwise been a pretty funny joke.

Nice touch at the end with Ruby looking much more down when her friends can't see her face, it does a good job at illustrating that the losses she's suffered and the responsibility she now bears, is affecting her. For all their shortcomings, doing a lot with a little is one of M&K's stronger points.

I'm sure the farmer kid will be more important later, but I spent the entire scene thinking who the fuck is this guy. He looks to be about the same age as Ruby, perhaps he will end up being her love interest? I know the white rose fans would have a fit, nut I can't say that I would mind.

Maybe it's just me but something about this volume gave it a much more cinematic feel, than previous ones, so kudos there.

Not without it's flaws but a solid enough reintroduction, to everyone, and not quite as solid (but bad either) intro to our villains.

#6 Cybuster, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    MechaG11 and Kakashi like this.
  7. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Oh hot damn! We're off to a great start! Time for the return of AceofAces' Post Episode Ramblings. *deep sniff* Ah, it feels good to be back.

- D'aww, look at the cute lil baby Grimm! And that boys and girls is where baby Grimm come from: dark, slimy black ooze. *sigh* the miracle of life, and Emerald and Mercury are just as grossed out by it as anyone would watching the actual Miracle of Life video in high school health class *shivers*

- BTW, that animation of the Grimm crawling out looks impressive as fuck! Right down to the liquid textures and zooming out to reveal the dark landscape of God knows where they are. Great way to open Volume IV.

- Item one on the evil agenda of SPECTRE (what I'm going to refer to Salem's Council of Evilness from now on) is to rag on Cinder for getting bested by Ruby's Silver Eye powers. Apparently, the encounter cost Cinder an eye and her voice, leaving me to believe that there was actually more going on than just a blinding white light that froze the Grimm Dragon. I guess she didn't just stand there and let the light do the work, at least regarding Cinder.

- Oh, and the remorse I thought I saw in the opening cinematic was probably more appropriately shame for failing, which makes more sense, even though Salem assures her that she was actually very successful in bringing down Beacon, becoming the Fall Maiden, and.....

- *spit take* KILLING OZPIN?!?!?! WHAT?!?! Then how does that explain Salem gloating to Ozpin at the end of Volume III and saying how she "can't wait to see him burn"? Is it a death by proxy where she delivered Ozpin to Salem for execution? Or did Ozpin actually die at Beacon? If so, where was his body and why would Qrow and others think he's just missing? Oh boy, can't wait to unravel this enigma.

- Oh ho, what's this? Maiden powers are weak against Silver Eyed Warriors? That despite all her strength, Cinder now has a "crippling weakness"? How very interesting, and adding further insult to the injury of Cinder's shame in being told that she'll never beat Ruby, even with her new powers. Who knows? She might have been better off without them. Which begs the following question: if Maiden powers are weak to Silver Eyed warriors, and Silver Eyes were known to be the literal bane of the Grimm's existence, does that mean that Maiden powers are actually related to the dark forces behind Grimm? It would somewhat explain Cinder doing her Grimm Whispering Act with the Dragon in Volume III.

- Dr. Watts, (mustache man) will be taking Cinder's place in what was going to be her attack on Haven Academy and Mistral, and will be meeting with an informant they have in the city. Tyrian (Chuckles McGee) was originally tasked with hunting down the Spring Maiden, but now he's going after Ruby (BTW, great cackle. I bet he's going to be LOADS of fun in the future. :D). And Hazel will be meeting with the real White Fang leader, Siena Khan. Adam Tauros is only an officer in the White Fang ranks, like a major or a colonel if Khan is the commanding general. See? You learn something new every day.

- Random farmer boy is random. I get that they want to show life beyond what we're used to, but I think this was a little unnecessary.

- It's moments like Nora and Ren arguing over team names that make me happy with some aspects of the writing and why these are such good characters to write for. It adds the right amount of fun and silliness to help lift people up from the super depressing way that Volume III ended, and shows us that our protagonists haven't sunk into hopelessness and lost touch with who they are.

- The battle with the Geist (ghost Grimm possessing rocks and trees) was really awesome, balancing action with fun and doing so in a pretty smooth manner (then again, I'm not the most knowledgeable person about animation, so I only notice things when they go horribly wrong). I like the fact that this was a challenging fight. I thought Volume II's ending suffered because it was too easy for everyone and there wasn't any sense of struggle. Volume III sort of rectified that in the limited moments where they were fighting Grimm, but to see a challenging fight like this right of the bat is encouraging that just as RNJR is getting stronger, so are the enemies they will face.

- Jaune: "You'll be fine without a weapon. You're the strategist." Hahahahahahaha. At first I was wondering why he didn't have a weapon, but the end of the episode answered that question. Apparently, he took some of Pyrrha's armor (I guess from the crown that got left behind when Pyrrha got vaporized), and had it melted down to reinforce his sword, shield and a new set of armor for him. Seems like he's handling Pyrrha's passing pretty well (certainly better than some of us here did, myself included. >_<;). Though I'm skeptical that this one crown had enough metal for everything that we saw. Maybe they salvaged some of Pyrrha's spare armor from the wreckage at Beacon, but that seems questionable. I like the gesture though of Jaune always having a piece of Pyrrha by his side in battle, so I'm not complaining too much about this plot hole.

- Jaune: "His arm is a tree! HIS ARM IS A TREE!"
    Ruby: "Big mistake!" Fires incendiary round
    *Geist wields flaming tree arm*
    Jaune: "BIG MISTAKE! BIG MISTAKE!"

I legitimately busted out laughing. XD

- That's a new trick Ren, using your guns like boomerangs. Bravo! And bravo on that earlier demonstration of your agility. Ren certainly seems like his stamina has improved and that he's really able to be the nimble ninja we all knew he'd be.

- "Guys! I got it! We hit it....harder!" Brilliant strategy Jaune! XD But seriously, he was on the right track in completely removing all its limbs before trying to hit it in the face.

- Ooooh Magnhild Upgrade! Now 500% more.....shocking. Eh? :p Seriously though, that was visually awesome when Ruby scooped up Nora with her semblance and they dashed together like a red and pink swirl for Nora to deliver the shattering blow.

- "Another victory for team JNRR!.....Actually Ren, you might be on to something. It doesn't sound great anymore." There ya go Jaune. I knew you'd see things correctly eventually.

- The continent Mistral is on is Anima (I think. I've literally heard 3 different things regarding the continent names. It'd really help if this stuff was written down).

- Welp, the bunny on Jaune's hoodie is none other than Pumpkin Pete. Honestly thought he'd be sick of the cereal by now. And here we thought the hidden bunny was his actual symbol. Nope. XD

- RNJR's next destination is Shione Village, where they believe there is an airship that can take them to Haven. And next time on RWBY, a "lovely" father-daughter moment at the Schnee household. This ought to be good.

Overall, I'm really excited for what's in store. The animation style may take some getting used to since it's so different than what we're used to, but I'm already making the adjustment considering how much more beautiful everything looks. And while some time has passed, we really haven't missed much and it seems like things picked up almost right where they left off, so there isn't much of a need to ask the questions of what they were doing for 6-8 months. What we saw today was pretty much what they've been doing on a day to day basis as they made the long journey from Patch to Haven. And all the things that make RWBY great are still ever present: the action, the humor, and the character growth. Already we can see some of the maturation that comes from a journey like theirs, and yet the more things change, the more they stay the same at least with respect to who these characters are at their cores.

This is already shaping up to be a fantastic season.

8. Fuse

Fuse Active Member

@AceofAces more or less matches my general thoughts of the episode. One thing I would like to ad is that Jeff and Casey Lee Williams are continuing their stellar work with the music. That is probably a giving but I think it bears mentioning from time to time.

9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I'd like to hear the whole song first before passing judgment on the quality of the music. While Jeff Williams does write very good music for the most part, he does have occasional misses. I honestly won't be able to really tell the quality of the music until the soundtrack comes out. So far, I don't think the opening song is bad (like with Volume III), but I wouldn't say "Wow, this is awesome" just yet.

10. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

So is anyone else half expecting Ruby to actually lose an eye now?