1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 5: Menagerie

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Dec 3, 2016.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Will stay locked until time for the new episode

2. Oneiros

Oneiros Happy-Go-Lucky Mod of Justice & Love
    Staff Member Admin

Okay, opening up discussion as the episode is up for FIRST members.

3. Oneiros

Oneiros Happy-Go-Lucky Mod of Justice & Love
    Staff Member Admin

Halfway through the episode and I just find myself saying "Oh, of course she is... of course they are..."

Aznpride1207 and AceofAces like this.
  4. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Honestly, I don't feel like a lot happened here. I don't know if this episode was actually shorter than others, but it felt short because of how few things of note happened:

- With Menagerie being the home to the vast majority of Faunus, I'm not surprised there's overcrowding, though much of what Blake said was redundant of WoR, so.....yeah, that might partly explain the hollowness of this episode.

- I liked the family tea session. Pretty much exactly how every "meet the parents" encounter goes, right down to the mother liking the boy, but the father hating him (though in every scenario like this, the mother is the voice of reason).

- IDK, I feel like I'm both surprised and not surprised that Blake is the daughter of the former leader of the White Fang who is now Chieftan of Menagerie. Maybe the surprise is disappointment that RT actually did this. We already have an heiress character (Weiss); why do we need a second? Is it to show how similar yet different Weiss and Blake are? Cuz I thought we settled that back in Volume I.

At first, Blake's justice-oriented motivations were perfectly fine on their own, but now this family connection undermines this since it suggests some amount of tacit indoctrination by her father instead of truly being a position she formed herself. And then this now creates the expectation that Blake will eventually retake control of the White Fang, just like how Weiss is going to take over the SDC. All of this seems to suggest that Blake's characterization and backstory is plagiarizing Weiss', and I don't like it.

It's sad really. The more I see of Blake these days, the less and less I like her as a character and as a person.

- Of course the White Fang leadership would publicly denounce Adam, but privately support him. Not surprised as all.

- Looks like we'll finally get the story moving along again with some action as Tyrian closes in on Ruby.

Honestly, this might be my least favorite episode thus far.

Aznpride1207, SeaOfHope and Oneiros like this.
  5. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

My thoughts

So Menagerie seems to be modeled after Caribbean islanders towns. It's not a bad look, but I don't know how well it meshes with the obviously Japanese influence, of Blake and her family.

So Blake's dad was the original more peaceful WF leader. I fucking called it.

Sun is kind of necessary, since he seems to basically serve the role of newcomer so Blake can explain stuff to him (and by proxy the audience). He was still kind of annoying for me here, but he wasn't intolerable by any means. I imagine Bumblebee shippers will find him way more insufferable than I do however.

I like Blake's parents so far I can't say I have too much to say about them, but the come off as warm loving and it seems kind of ironic that Blake has the most stable homelife out any of the team. Blake's initial hesitation, to knock the door was a nice touch, it's only natural in this kind of situation.

So some interesting stuff here, the WF and their relationship to Menagerie. They paint their reputation as human propaganda, since the people of Menagerie don't experience any of it first hand. See that's some genuinely good world building as it lets us know the political situation, while fitting naturally into the conversation, without distracting from the core story.

Nice to see Blake isn't fooled, by the WF dudes trying to fob off Adam's crew as a splinter group, her dad dosn't really seem to be convinced either. Good job since the heroes would look kind of stupid otherwise.

I'm convinced at this point that the metta reason for Blake ditching the bow, was to show off the new animation on her ears.

So Blake's father seems to be the leader of Menagerie. Technically this makes Blake the closest thing the series has to a princess, kind makes the times that characters nicknamed Weiss princess funnier in hindsight.

Yeah Tyrion still kind of sucks.

Not a super eventful episode (mostly being set up) , but a very enjoyable one in my opinion.

@AceofAces Sorry but I think you're really stretching things with the Blake Weiss comparisons there.

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  6. Fuse

Fuse Active Member

It was about 4 minutes shorter than the next shortest episode.

snowball17 likes this.
  7. Riven

Riven Active Member

So I'm cautious about passing judgement on the deepening of the foil between Blake and Weiss, because done right, it could actually do wonders for their characters. Otherwise it's just going to come as lazy.

I do think the worldbuilding was pretty good this episode. Granted, it would've been better if the Faunus WOR aired after, so it was just expanding on what we'd already understood rather than undercutting the actual episode, but then people would've bitched about it. Still, plenty of information could be gleaned from the dialogue without directly telling it to us, so I applaud the increase in finesse when it comes to the writing.

I do think that Sun's cheerful obliviousness is being overplayed and it'll be wearing on more and more people if they keep it up. The guy has other aspects to his personality. Actually use him as a character.

Aznpride1207 and snowball17 like this.
  8. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I think alot of this is because they, took a lot flack in the past using WoR as a worldbuilding crutch (I would say the V2 ones were much more guilty of this than the V3 ones) and they have listened to those criticisms and really put in the effort to ensure all that worldbuilding is included in the actual show.

While I think this is a good change, it makes WoR have no purpose anymore and ironically ends up hurting what is actualy some pretty good worldbuilding, in the series proper. I think at this point they should either make WoR just about the history and origins of things or just ditch it completely and just have there be nothing in the volume's off weeks.

Aznpride1207 and snowball17 like this.
  9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

@Cybuster, Am I though? You said it yourself Blake is the princess of the White Fang/Menagerie, yet we've known for years that Weiss is the princess of the SDC (heiress to be technical, but functionally the same), the polar opposite of the Faunus rights Blake stood for. Both Weiss and Blake are influenced by their families' respective ideological positions, and both are expected by fans to "restore the honor of their families' rightful domains." After all, Weiss wants to restore her family's honor that has been sullied by her father, and Blake wants to return the White Fang to the more peaceful ways that existed when her father was in charge, which has since been corrupted by Adam and the current leader.

Face it, today's episode makes Blake look like the Faunus version of Weiss, and the sad part is that none of this is necessary. If Blake's family didn't have this position of authority in Menagerie and with the White Fang, this connection wouldn't exist, and the assumption of Blake purifying the White Fang would be more independent and distinct from what Weiss will do with the SDC.

10. EmeraldGuardian

I enjoyed the episode. It was still probably my least favorite from this volume so far, but it was still enjoyable. I liked meeting Blake's parents and the scene with the white fang, but I found Sun was getting on my nerves. I'm not necessarily a Bumblebee shipper but I just don't really like Blake/Sun for some reason. I feel like Sun just tries too hard and it just rubs me the wrong way. Apart from that I liked this though. Tyrion's getting close to RNJR though. Look out Ruby!

Aznpride1207 likes this.