1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 5: Menagerie

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Ashland

Ashland Active Member

In me and @Eights fan fiction, I believe she was spirited away by her parents for her lifestyle choices. Honestly, this just seems like the writer's problem with plot convenience getting in the way of having a decent story. A little convenience is fine, but it feels like you're being beaten over the head with it.

2. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I'm probably in the minority here, but I have zero issues Blake's parentage. Now I did say quite a long time ago that I thought it would be interesting if that was the case, so I guess it would be hypocritical if I took issue now anyway.

Bluehair likes this.
  3. Bluehair

Bluehair Active Member

I would hate to put words into other peoples mouths or minds but I think a lot of people, myself included, assumed she was an orphan because she never talked about her parents. I always thought she was orphaned and the WF took her in and raised her. After doing a re-watch, EVERYTHING she said supports what is now canon. There are no issues with the story contradicting itself and I like it better this way too. This strongly parallels Weiss' story and I like that you can see how similar they are in spite of their differences.

4. SleepyEskimo

SleepyEskimo Well-Known Member

>Since Menagerie was supposed to be a run down place for Faunus, why did it look fine?
    >When did we know there's different branches of the White Fang?
    >Ever since she left the White Fang, where's the time were Blake draw the line?
    >Have any of these people in this place felt oppression? Or was Adam twist all kinds of words to recruit spineless mooks?

The Supreme One likes this.
  5. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Considering the particular spot they were in had Blake's dad's giant king house, one could assume that is the higher end side of Menagerie.

TBH it reminds me of Agrabah from Aladdin. Lots of buildings but very crowded and full of poor people aside from the higher class center.

6. BlakJakXXI

BlakJakXXI Well-Known Member

Saw the episode yesterday on YouTube, since hearing about it didn't make me motivated enough to see it on RT's site. Anyway...
    -Much of the information was pretty much what we learned in the World of Remnant, so it wasn't really new, like others said.
    -As for Sun, eh, he didn't really bother me like I've been hearing some others say.
    -So Ghira and Kali are Blake's parents, huh? Their characters seem ok, though like others said, I had thought she was an orphan, and the White Fang took her in.
    -Ghira being a former head of the White Fang and Menagerie's chief raises questions. Throughout the previous volumes, Blake was trying to hide her faunus herritage from everyone new she would meet and presumably the White Fang. If her father had such a high position in the White Fang, and is also a Chief of Menagerie, then why would she use the same surname when she enrolled in Beacon? Shouldn't she have used an alias to further conceal her identity like with the bow, and reduce the risk of people making a potential connection?
    -Another thing, Blake stated that she didn't want to go anywhere near the White Fang for the time being, with Adam hunting those she cares about and all that. Why would she reveal herself and her location to White Fang members at her parents' doorstep? What she was hoping to accomplish with this?

All in all, it was really meh at best, with plot confusion, and redundancy due the the WoR short about Menagerie.

Buck and Ashland like this.
  7. halo108

halo108 Member

I'm honestly surprised at the lack of surprise over Ghea being the former leader of the White Fang.

I was hoping for a bit more information on what made him quit, what exactly lead to him stepping down, how it lead to Adam being in charge, how it affected his relationship with Blake since she was still in the White Fang at the time, Etc. (Bit more information on how the White Fang is organized would be nice. Certainly it would warrant a World of Remnant episode.)

You'd think that'd be a pretty big revelation, but it's just casually mentioned. I really hope this is not how they handle Ruby's silver eye powers.

Also, since Ghea is the chieftain of Menagerie, does this technically mean Blake's a princess?

8. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

The only surprise that came with this revelation is that CRWBY actually went ahead and tacked on this horrible cliche to Blake's character. The general reaction to this was:

*sigh* "Oh, OF COURSE Blake is the daughter of the former White Fang leader. OF COURSE she is the Princess of Menagerie who lives in this big fancy mansion while other Faunus who are actually struggling have to scratch out a meager existence in an overcrowded city." *facepalm*

I don't think anyone would really describe this as a pleasant surprise, and it grossly undermines much of Blake's childhood motivations since there is an undeniable element of indoctrination by her father instead of her developing her views on racial equality and justice entirely on her own (I'm not suggesting Blake was brainwashed, but it certainly suggests a level of influence beyond Blake truly adopting these views without any undue external pressure from her father).

All this does is raise doubt as to whether or not Blake would be so invested in Faunus rights if her father wasn't a leader of the White Fang. It raises doubts as to whether her opinions are organically hers, or were in a way planted and molded by her father, all while elevating the White Fang's treatment of Blake as a Princess (as evidenced by the 2 emissaries that showed up) despite the fact that she was in reality (a) formerly a low-ranking grunt serving under Adam, and (b) a deserter who is #1 on Adam's hit list.

On top of all that, there is now a certain level of disconnect that makes Blake's cries for justice disingenuous since Blake, as a Princess, is far removed from the actual hardships and realities associated with being a Faunus. It would be no different than Volume I Weiss protesting on behalf of underpaid SDC workers. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sun had a harder life than Blake at this point, where Sun was the rogue street rat stealing to survive in the unforgiving desert of Vacuo, that the reason Sun doesn't wear a full shirt is because his family was too poor to buy him one, and that they had to save up every lien to afford to send Sun to Haven Academy, where he might have a chance to earn a better living for himself than he would if he stayed in Vacuo and attended Shade Academy.

So to recap, the only surprise people felt over this was disappointment.

As to your other points, I doubt we'll get a WoR answering your questions. We'll likely be told the next time we see Blake the circumstances regarding her father as leader and what led to the transition. Just like we'll get further explanation on the silver eyes. But these things will only happen when it's relevant for the plot to do so (like it was with the revelation that magic is real and that the Maidens exist).

9. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I kind of liked it.

10. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]

(Intended to convey astonishment rather than be condescending)