1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 6: Tipping Point

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Dec 10, 2016.

1. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

I'm normally at least marginally accepting of the content of WoR, but this one is really not something that should come from outside the narrative of RWBY.

2. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

On the bright side this stuff (or at least the important parts) will probably get told to us in the show proper. Sadly just like the faunus WoR it will likely have a negative impact on the episode that follows it.

#122 Cybuster, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  3. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

yeah, the other problem with WoR is the following episode makes it mostly useless at best or contradicts it at worst.

Also, this WoR is probably the last "episode" (I use that term loosely) of the year because RT takes a ridiculously long christmas holiday from the the start of the third week of december until the end of like the third week in january.

4. White Raven

White Raven Well-Known Member

AceofAces likes this.
  5. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

6. Jaxrond

Jaxrond Well-Known Member

I'm digging team RNJR's magically reappearing map. I want one next time I RP.

And can we say holy-badass entrance Qrow.
    Real men jump through walls in the nick of time after suddenly transforming out of bird form.

Looking forward to the promised badass Qrow vs Tyrian fight

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  7. Tuor

Tuor New Member

A couple things:

1) I think that maybe Tyrion has the ability to actively disrupt an opponent's aura. Just as Pyrrha used her aura to activate Jaune's, maybe Tyrion used some ability he has to disrupt Ruby's aura. That, or his tail might have something that disrupts aura.

2) I think you guys are misunderstanding the conversations going during the Schnee party. I think they're scared. Really scared. When something scary happens, one way to deal with it is to distance yourself, another way is to blame the victim to make the aggressor seem less powerful or scary: if Vale had had proper defenses (like we do), surely they could have easily dealt with the Grim attack (like we can). But remember what Ozpin said to James: bringing all those troops only caused trepidation amongst the citizens of Vale, which strengthened the Grimm. And behind the supposed arrogance of the elite, that same trepidation is probably setting in, and James probably realizes this, having learned his lesson the hard way.

3) (Bonus) That Neptune-wannabe was using the "oh, I'm just a little uncertain/shy" technique to landing girls. It was an act, though I'm not entirely sure if Weiss realized it or not. It's hard to say if her reaction was entirely due to his comments or a combination of his comments and her knowing he was trying to play her. She seems kind of innocent in that realm, but maybe not as she is an aristocrat. Hope we don't see that guy again, but we probably will.

I doubt the Qrow/Tyrion fight will be definitive either way, but it should be pretty good. I hope Qrow cleans his clock.

8. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

I don't know about that. Arrogance to compensate for insecurity is a little rarer than you might believe because at its core, arrogance is over-confidence. What you're suggesting would make their arrogance less genuine, and yet the tone of the conversations was anything but disingenuous. They legitimately think that they are the best and that they are untouchable. They truly are oblivious to the dangers of the outside world because of the classic flaw of thinking "Oh, it possibly can't happen to me. Bad things happen to other people." It's like thinking that what's going on in Syria now can't possibly happen in the United States.

The fear Ozpin talked about regarding Ironwood bringing his army to Vale is not as compelling of an argument in Atlas when they are used to having a strong military presence while Vale is not. Seeing a huge army in Vale causes concern that war is on the horizon, but with this being an everyday thing in Atlas, they have no reason to be afraid. If anything, it'll only boost their arrogance further.

If anyone was scared, they would have said so in a more hushed tone. This is not one of those things that you would say nothing about and leave it as something to imply like you're doing now. If it was the writing staff's intention to make it seem as if the Atlesians were afraid, they would have done so. Instead, it was their intention to show off their unabashed arrogance, which is what pissed off Weiss so much. If they actually were afraid, then Weiss would be the one who "has no clue" and that's the exact opposite of what they were trying to do in that scene because Weiss really is the only one out of everyone there who saw first hand what happened, who experienced life beyond the frozen confines of Atlas.

BronzTrooper, Tuor and Aznpride1207 like this.
  9. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

Alright, now that the episode is on YouTube I can finally give the fight scene a good look (including some slo-mo runs).

Looking at the fight now I don't quite have issues with the reaction shots and pauses for dialogue/banter. A lot of the times I find it had a purpose when used considering Tyrian's presence instills a lot of disruptive emotions into our heroes. Tyrian in almost every aspect whether it's his presentation, audio, and dialogue ooze with enthusiasm for his malevolent assault on RNJR. This scene plays both as an introductory phase for Tyrian to RNJR as well as a fight scene. Not exactly deep in any sense but not an unnecessary inclusion in my opinion. So this aspect gets a pass from me.

What I will go into is the motions/choreography happening in the fight itself. In retrospect the choreography is pretty cool and well thought out most of the time. Tyrian especially has a lot to offer here since he boasts an aggressive style that takes advantage of his long legs, his wildcard of a stinger, and the wrist blades that can easily switch between offensive and defensive use.

There are a few things bothering me though. Watching this clip in normal speed often makes me ask "That should have been cool looking, so why don't I feel like it's cool?" The issue is that the movement speeds are a tad too slow, which not only hurts the pacing of the fight but it unfortunately brings out some of the animation quirks as well. Which there are quite a few of since Tyrian seems to not pivot correctly with his feet when transitioning between kicks and jumps. Not to mention in one instance his take-off jump doesn't show his legs springing into the jump, which comes off as unnaturally awkward looking. There may be a few camera tricks that could have been tweaked as well to complement the impacts better.

Overall I still managed to enjoy the scene. Not the best but in no way bad in my opinion (heck I think it's better than Qrow vs Winter animation-wise).

10. Ranemoraken

Ranemoraken Active Member

Qrow vs Winter was a bit janky at times. I wasn't that fond of it. I'm not terribly concerned about the pace. There wasn't much pace to season 3 until the end of ep. 6.

As we move into the second half, I have to wonder where the stopping place will be. I doubt the team will be back together by the end, which means that each member needs their arc to be resolved. Will they all have their own action fights? If so, what would they be like?

I could see Yang having to go all out sparring with her father, but I think her arc will end confronting and wrecking a pack of Grimm - perhaps attacking their home in response to her negative spirit. I thought, actually, that Tyrian was going to mess things up here first - because if you were looking for Ruby, that's the first place you'd check.

Now that the White Fang is expanding its characters, do we need Adam anymore? Is his role in the story coming to an end? (This was the reason why some predicted Torchwick would not survive V3). Though perhaps his role can be removed incrementally. Blake will sever his grip over her, but not yet have the means to defeat him. That would preserve his purpose in the story until Yang confronts him.

Ruby is the easiest to have arc resolutions for. She's headed for a mess with Raven, and/or another duel with Tyrian. Dr. Watts is headed to Mistral as well, so there's a bit of fun to look for next season.

Weiss is the hardest for me to see resolutions for. I thought the charity event was going to be a lot more complicated (end with an assassination attempt). Perhaps she will learn to control her power, and then sever ties with her father? Is that enough? Maybe the point of that idiot from the party was to create a one-shot villain who is actually there to assassinate her? He doesn't seem to be there to increase the harem and I don't think his role is exclusive to demonstrating Atlas culture.