1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 8: A Much Needed Talk

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Dec 31, 2016.

1. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

I for one think a bad luck semblance would be kind of cool.
    (See Domino from the X-men and how her powers work)

2. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Yeeesh, I knew Edgelord Adam wanted to hit that, but DAMN!!

And what does that say about Blake? That she likes pussy?........CATS! I was going to say pussy cats, as in children. >_<;

3. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

*reads Domino's wiki page on the X-Men wiki*

I just, wait.......huh? What the hell did I actually read?

Don't get me wrong. The concept of emitting "probability fields" to give herself good luck and enemies bad luck in situations where she's in danger sounds interesting and useful on paper, but I think my BS alarms went all the way up to DEFCON 2.

Here's my problem with Domino's powers, and why this would be a terrible option for Qrow to have as an actual semblance: her abilities work to make improbable things happen so that she can get herself out of a bad situation or put an enemy in a bad situation, but how does she (or rather the subconscious part of her brain generating this field) know which improbable outcome is the best one? How does it choose between possible outcomes in order to guide Domino down the best one? Like if she's trying to dodge bullets, how does she know to start going left or right? Or up or down? Or forward or backward? The problem is that the only answer to these questions is that "It just does and things work out like that," which is utter bullshit.

Any cheater at gambling will tell you that the key to tipping the odds in your favor is first deciding what outcome you want to see happen to win, and avoiding the outcomes that cause you to lose, but this foresight aspect is completely absent from Domino's powers because "things just happen" without her, or any part of her brain, really knowing that she achieved the best outcome out of all possible outcomes. It's like the hand of God is literally guiding Domino and creating literal Deus Ex Machinas to get her out of trouble.

4. Eights

Eights Well-Known Member

You child. :p

5. MechaG11

I'm pretty sure that's the entire point of luck as a concept. Only rather than being a magical force it's a subtle telekinetic power. Having read the comic I'm pretty sure the circumstances are not as arbitrary as you say they are. She basically subconsciously curves her own chances of what she wants to do whether it's shooting someone with by slightly improving her own accuracy or avoiding gunfire by making the attackers fire less accurately/have weapon jams. Despite this power she always gets into sh*t situations.

In Qrow's case it could work similarly but with the drawback of being detrimental to himself and others he cares for.

In the end I'm not counting on this being his semblance because we still don't know what the animorphing thing and the sparky red eye thing from volume 3 is.

#105 MechaG11, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

I don't know, I'm more of a fan of people who "make their own luck" (through foresight or something like that), than something tantamount to divine intervention saving them, but that's just me.

But this is all moot anyway because Qrow was being metaphorical about being bad luck.

7. MechaG11

*Looks at Col Kresh*
    I mean I guess that isn't hard to assume.

8. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

You're not wrong, though he would tell you there's no such thing as luck as it is a crude short hand explanation for what is in reality carefully calculated circumstances aided by foresight.

9. Son of the sun

Son of the sun Active Member

As in, the planning ability of a character like Aizen from bleach? This is just for personal clarification.

10. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Sort of. A better demonstration is like this (start at 1:30):

He can see the near future, and by observing his opponents and circumstances, he can accurately predict what an opponent will do, and then craft his attack strategy in his head before executing it.