1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 9: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Jan 7, 2017.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Queued up for tomorrow

2. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

3. Fuse

Fuse Active Member

So this character Ilia, her semblance is the ability to turn into OCs.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

What the hell left that foot print...

Tyrant Sun likes this.
  5. Demetrion

Demetrion Member

Well, that was the best moment in the V4 for me so far, even had beaten Pyrrha's message. I had so called it: the moment, when Knight emerges from the Summon Portal and kneels befor his lady. That was the moment I've been waiting for from "Lessons learned" back in V3. I like to think that soul or eccense of Dark Knight from White Trailer will find its redemption in service to Weiss as her White Knight. (Remeber the concept of posession-type Grimm from RWBY-manga? It rings some bells too!)
    Other parts of the episode are also good, but this one is the most important for me. Bonus:
    rwby_weiss_by_asmo_da-dasgocx.jpg

Mudkip likes this.
  6. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I like the scene with Yang and Tai. Shows Yang as a loving father who isn't afraid to let his daughters know their faults.

Raven continues to be the bitch queen, even when she's not onscreen. I was worried that Taiyang talking her up would be trying to make her sound better than she is, but then Tai went on to point out that she was a very unpleasant person in alot of ways and that he's glad Yang isn't like her.

I can't say I'm glad we've skipped a fair amount of Yang's road to recovery.

So Weiss suspects the Whitley is jealous of her and Winter's abilities, while Whitley counters that what they do is barbaric. It does make sense Whitley and his dad come off as the kinds of people who would consider getting their hands dirty is beneath them.

So Weiss has finally summoned the knight. Even though we only see one failed attempt, it's easy to infer that she's had quite a few of screen attempts since we saw her last. Nice job of telling a lot by showing a little.

The Knight looks a lot less cool, now that it's smaller.

Weiss's escape is imminent.

Blake and Sun chasing the WF spie wasn't anything special but it was serviceable. I like that Sun for all his faults, is actualy quite a bit more practical minded than Blake.

Can't say that I'm pleased with another White Fang minnie boss for Blake to go through, I get the feeling she exists just to give Blake some one to beat because they can't justify her beating Adam at this point.

Scene with Ruby and friends was effective at getting across the desperation of the group. Ren is very much the fulfilling the Spock role of thinking purely on logic without necessarily giving much thought to his friends feelings. It's an archetypal character trait, but an important one to include in a group dynamic.

I like that Ruby is still being supportive of Jaune and trying to keep his spirits up, even though events are likely weighing on her more than anyone else. It's a decent way of showing how she puts others before herself, without being to in your face about it. It also makes the fact that Jaune is getting more cynical and even being slightly abrasive towards her, have more impact.

Nice episode that managed to pretty much give everyone the spotlight. Blake's segments while not as bad as others say (in my opinion) continues to be the weak link however.

#6 Cybuster, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    jadeia1 likes this.
  7. Tyrant Sun

Tyrant Sun Member

I'm glad to see Yang's recovery is going well, even though she's had the least focus this volume. I'm glad to see she's making an effort to move forward and improve instead of moping around all volume. I get the feeling she'll be a bit more mature, but still the upbeat and cheerful person we love. The show wouldn't be the same without her, so good on her.

Not sure Tai's description of Raven was exactly healthy. At first it sounded like he was brushing over her flaws to make her sound better than she was. While he acknowledged she wasn't perfect and those imperfections ultimately led to their team and family falling apart, he needs to take off the rose-colored glasses. Raven's a killer and a ruthless bandit, and I'm glad Tai acknowledged Yang not growing up to be her mother's clone is a good thing.

I knew that lady was some sort of chameleon faunus, the horns and the curly ponytail like a chameleon tail gave it away. Sun has officially become a walking plot device. When he's not being used for awkward and inappropriate humor, his behavior is just a device to move the plot in a certain direction. A tense and emotional scene between father and daughter? Have Sun drop in, muck the thing up, and draw out Blake's character development even more! Blake is about to capture the bad guy and get some damn answers for once? Sun's powers crap out and he gets wounded! Even though the guy nearly took out Roman and could hold his own against a giant mecha and a sea dragon, he can't handle some pissweak ninja because plot.

I for one absolutely LOVE Sun's portrayal in this volume as a massive burden. The more people who get alienated from my least favorite ship the better I say!

I knew Qrow didn't die. He's far too important to simply keel over in the middle of the woods. Ruby and co. now have to deal with Qrow being a major burden while they limp the rest of the way to Mistral. I like this development as it adds some urgency to the otherwise tedious journey and reminds Ruby that the desire to help others doesn't automatically give her the skill to back it up. Qrow's like this because Ruby butt in on his fight, and she knows it. Because the poor girl hasn't been traumatized enough.

"She's not coming Tai..." That has to be a reference either to Summer or Raven. Qrow is either flashing back to having to tell Tai Summer isn't coming back, or he's trying to tell him to stop holding out a flame for Raven because she's not worth it/not coming back either. I wish Qrow was at least lucid while travelling with Ruby so she could grill him for some more answers, but I'll let them pass on this one.

I for one think Ren is being very immature here. The village is probably where he and/or Nora used to live before Raven and the Grimm razed the place. Either that or he's trying to avoid flashing back to a traumatic moment by avoiding the detour any way he can. I get that there's a lot of trauma there, but Qrow is lying on Death's doorstep and he's having a temper tantrum. Jaune tries to be the voice of reason and points out they'll be weaker if they split up, not to mention they can't expect a dying man to climb up a mountain. Jaune is still dealing with the very recent loss of Phyrra, but Ren has had years to cope with his village burning down and he still won't budge. Another poor move on the writer's part in order to draw out the drama and up the stakes when the big final battle goes down. Ruby and Jaune will have to fight some giant monster and/or Raven's bandits without the two most coordinated and skilled fighters around. I think much less of Nora and Ren now.

Ultimately a rather lukewarm episode. Not the best one, but it had some good moments that moved the characters forward. Sadly it had some fatal flaws that hold it back from being truly memorable and sets up some unnecessary drama down the line.

#7 Tyrant Sun, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  8. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

Urm I don't see were her being "pissweak" comes from. Considering the only time we ever see this character in combat is holding her own against Sun and Blake. Hell the fact that she has an actual name and face alone means she's at least mini boss level.

The more people who stop treating ships like they're important the better.

Schnee, Porkulus, Appa311 and 5 others like this.
  9. Tyrant Sun

Tyrant Sun Member

She spends the majority of the "fight" running away from Blake and Sun. Sun successfully pinned her down with his clones, the same clones he's used to damage a Paladin and fight a Sea Dragon. For his Semblance to suddenly fail and allow her to get back up when she was nearly captured seems convoluted to me.

Sun then gets taken off guard by a cheap shot and goes down in one hit, despite every character's Aura having been shown to be able to take significantly more damage before crapping out. I guess they could justify it by saying she was as strong as Adam or had some special anti-aura weapon, but then there was no reason for her to spend the whole exchange on the defensive. It just feels like the whole thing was drawn out in a way that kept Blake from following her and they couldn't find a better excuse than "Sun gets hurt somehow".

*shrug* Ultimately doesn't matter all that much to me either. I just find it amusing how many people who like Sun have been put off by his lackluster performance this volume.

10. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

All 4 RWBY protagonists in one episode?! What is this sorcery?! :p

- I really like that Yang is beginning to see her mechanical arm as a natural part of herself now. She's truly on the road to acceptance and mental healing. Some people may think she's progressing too fast or that we haven't seen enough of it, but you'd be surprised how quickly it does happen once you get out of your own way and actually decide to move forward.

- This moment with Taiyang and Yang might be my absolute favorite characterization moments in this entire Volume, partly because I didn't think we'd get something like this. Taiyang might be the best parent in all of RWBY (though with competition like Jacques, that isn't much of a challenge). He truly is a great mentor, shining a spotlight on some of Yang's deepest flaws that I think we as fans might have overlooked/forgotten, but not do so in a harsh or overly critical way.

And I think we have forgotten that as a fighter, Yang is pretty predictable, stubborn, reckless, and overly reliant on her semblance, which is essentially a "temper tantrum," (which is a nice way of acknowledging some Volume III criticism for the outcome of some of those tournament fights). And yes, just because Yang is supercharged, that doesn't make her invincible, and if she fails to deliver the KO, then she's just burned out and defenseless, just like what happened against Adam. Her semblance is really meant as a fallback, not a first strike weapon, and she has to learn to stay level-headed, or else she'll get overwhelmed (like she did against Neo, and Neon, and Adam). As Taiyang put it, Yang burns brighter than everyone else, but if she isn't in control, she'll burn herself out, like fire trying to expand faster than its fuel can support it.

And we get a fantastic spotlight on Raven, and her connection to Yang. "Oh so NOW we're talking about her?" "Well, as I have been informed, you're an adult now, remember?" :D "I'm glad I see so much of her in you, but I'm also glad I don't see ALL of her in you." So even though Raven was largely responsible for dividing up team STRQ and throwing a wrench in her own family, there are still positive aspects to Raven, such as her strength, ambition, and dedication to worthwhile causes, it's just that the cause she feels is worthwhile is more selfish towards her tribe.

Yang and Raven are both similar in stubbornness, that the best way to tackle a problem is head-on with brute force, though Raven hasn't learned how to take a moment to think and find better solutions, something that Taiyang is trying to teach Yang, and to which Yang might actually be able to succeed where Raven could not. "Fight smarter, not harder."

- Alright Whitley, you little shithead, stop rubbing it in.

- So I was wrong about Whitley being jealous of Weiss' and Winter's abilities as Huntresses, but I guess because Weiss and I both had the same thought, I'm not totally wrong in thinking of Whitley as the jealous type. Whitley is just lazy, thinking that doing things himself is beneath him, and that an army is better than any single Hunter.

- Congrats Weiss on mastering her summoning. Now she's ready to kick the hornet's nest in Atlas, and I have a feeling I know what favor Weiss is going to ask Klein. ;)

- And in comes Ilia Amitola (WHO? or more importantly, WHY?), probable former friend of Blake's within the White Fang, who is a Chameleon Faunus with Chameleon skin capable of changing colors, including black to hide in the shadows.

- Here I thought Blake was being led to a trap, but all we get is a "you shouldn't have come back." Like seriously? What's the point of this person?

- So Sun is capable of making more than 2 clones since we saw 4 this time, but it drastically burned out his Aura to the point where he was already vulnerable to a direct attack from Ilia's whip sword. Though maybe now that Blake is having a case of deja vu with Sun, she might react differently than how she acted towards Yang, and maybe now she'll finally understand why Sun thinks having your friends help you with problems is a good thing.

- Huzzah! Qrow's not dead, and he seems to be remembering when Raven left by saying "Tai, she's not coming," since it seems like this is the moment when things soured for STRQ.

- Oh so NOW they lost the map for good. *facepalm*

- And now the enigma that is Ren begins to take form. Kuroyuri might be Ren's hometown, and he knows there's nothing there because he witnessed its destruction. When he was talking about his parents and Oniyuri, I think he was talking about how Oniyuri was just one of multiple attempts by the people originally living in Mistral who set out to build their own settlements and how they all shared the same ideal of getting away from the corrupt kingdoms for a simpler life they made for themselves.

And Nora knows this is a sensitive subject, hence why she steps in, and remains ever positive by saying that even if they aren't able to get to Mistral in time, they'll at least have the ability to see their surroundings better. This is why Ren and Nora work so well together. They know exactly how the other person is feeling without having to be told because they've been such close friends for so long.

- DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!! MYSTERY HORSE FOOTPRINT!! Yes, guys. That's a horse footprint, and a biggun at that.

This is actually a pretty appropriate episode title name. Yang and Weiss both took big steps forward, while Blake and Ruby haven't really progressed. I wouldn't call it a step backwards, but we certainly didn't see forward progress like Yang and Weiss did. Aside from the random Ilia appearance, this was a pretty good episode. Hopefully they can continue building on this momentum, but part of me is afraid that we'll get one more WoR before the final three episodes of this Volume. Only time will tell.