1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 9: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Terra125

Terra125 Member

All four girls in one, eh? Very nice! Yang is progressing very well. Yay Wiess has her knight in shining armor now! I like the weapon this Ilya chick is using and it matches her Faunus trait being that of a chameleon. Her weapon is her metaphorical tail and boy is it dangerous! Oh boy... the team's splitting up. Nothing good is going to come out of this. And what did I say! That's a big ass grimm footprint! Very well done RT shame the Volume is coming to a close really soon.

STRQWinter likes this.
  2. Appa311

Appa311 Member

I liked that sun has shown he can actually plan and fight although the way he went down was kinda like well that's what you get for not looking out. So is there an in story explanation for why chameleon lady just started changing colours or was it just to show she is a chameleon. Weiss has been making a lot of progress with her semblance but I don't really see an enemy she is going to beat at the end of her arc it looks like she is just gonna escape. Because I think it's a bit too early to do away with papa schnee and so far Whitley doesn't seem like he can fight. I was a bit confused about Whitleys motives for offering to get Weiss something does he actually care about her a bit because he spent most of the meeting taunting her.

3. Terra125

Terra125 Member

You don't think it could be one of those Mammoth Grimm we saw back in V2?

4. Ipsi

Ipsi Well-Known Member

Whooo Yang again! Getting used to the arm nicely

Go Weiss! Go away Whitly! Hope Kline helps her escape! So cool summoning the knight again

Iilyia huh? So all she can do is change colors? Not forms? Stay alllliiivvveee Sun! Don't put Blake through the guilt again! (Though it seems its already happening)

RUBY AND JAUNE NO!

WHERE ARE YOU OSPIN? THET NEED YOOOOOU

I WANT THE NEXT EPISODE NAO

5. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

The Goliath Elephant Grimm? I thought that at first, but then compared footprints. Here's an elephant's footprint:

[​IMG]

And here's a horse footprint:

[​IMG]

White Raven likes this.
  6. Terra125

Terra125 Member

Ah that makes sense, I would think a Minotaur-like grimm would be more menacing imo.

7. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

It's a possibility, though we have yet to see anything really humanoid in terms of Grimm. A simple horse Grimm would be a safer bet.

8. White Raven

White Raven Well-Known Member

Time for a big one.

Overall, a good episode. It was great that it featured all four girls. Yang has gotten much less screen time compared to the others. This episode helped a little, but she is still far behind. Can't expect a perfect balance anyway. More things are happening for Ruby, Weiss, and Blake, so it makes sense that they get more.

I thought the animation with Tai and Yang training was okay. But something that has always bothered me since the beginning of volume 3 is the camera work. The angles look weird, and sometimes the camera is too close to the characters, which can make it difficult to see what is actually happening. This fight reminded me of it.

I'm glad Tai said to Yang that she shouldn't rely so much on her Semblance. He's right. Her fighting style is too predictable, plus she acts without thinking, letting anger take control of her. Those are some valid reasons why she lost against Neo. Let's hope her fighting style can change from here on. So yeah, Tai is a cool person. He's trying to improve his daughter's fighting style, but also how she thinks and reacts.

Yang didn't show any signs of PTSD this time. I thought she would, and that Tai would notice it. I have wondered if Yang ever met a therapist. That sounds like something someone who has lost an arm would do. I hope RT haven't forgotten about her PTSD. That is something that should follow her for a long time, even beyond volume 5 and 6. It's not anything she can get over quickly.

There are only 3 episodes left, and Yang can't remain at Patch forever. I wonder if she will decide to leave and start making her way to Mistral to search for Raven. But will Tai allow that? Will she be ready to make that journey by herself? Haven will likely be the central point in volume 5 and 6. Gotta get team RWBY over there if they want to unite and help protect it against whatever Salem is planning. I doubt it's going to be another huge attack, because the remaining academies are likely on a higher alert now after the fall of Beacon.

Weiss is making progress! Awesome. I'm still hoping that Winter will somehow help her get away from the manor and leave Atlas. But I guess it will be Ironwood who does that.

Whitley's scene felt a little bit pointless. We know that he's a shit. The only thing we learned is that he has no fighting skills and he can't use the Schnee Semblance. It could be his choice since he's in some way a miniature version of Jacques, or his father forbid him from training because he saw what it did to Winter and Weiss.

Ilia looks pretty interesting so far. She's our first female White Fang antagonist (not including Deery). I'm curious to see how close she and Blake are. I really liked her weapon, especially the whip mode. I wonder if her changing skin colors are random or based on emotions.

Sun's Semblance can be overloaded. Maintaining four clones at once is a serious drain on his Aura. It's interesting to see that Semblances can have limits and can't be spammed recklessly. Not sure if Sun lost all of his Aura, of it was weakened enough for Ilia to pierce. In either case, something needed to happen because the plot needed him to get hurt.

Blake owes Sun a serious apology for doubting him, slapping him, and throwing away the Scroll. Because of that, he's injured. She has every reason to feel guilty. It might be a touching scene. I hope it will be. Blake got scared when she saw him get hurt. I don't expect the Sun to die from that wound. It was mostly his shoulder that got hurt, but it was somewhat close to his heart.

So RNJR are sort of lost because they have no maps. What about the TWO MAPS that they dropped earlier? They dropped one when they found the destroyed village of Shion, and the second one when they found Oniyuri. Dropping them was stupid enough. Why did no one pick them up again? Shouldn't their Scrolls have maps in them? A cellphone has maps even in offline mode. A Scroll should have maps too, even without the CCT.

So the story comes to a crossroad, and RNJR decide to split up. It's a risky decision, but story and character wise, good things can come from it. It was interesting to see the typically stoic Ren express a bit of anger, as he refused to go back to what I guess is his destroyed hometown. I liked this scene. So far, RNJR have had the best scenes in this volume. It was touching. Things are at stake here. The characters might be saying good bye forever!

Now is the perfect time for Ruby and Jaune to talk to each other about Pyrrha, Penny, the fall of Beacon, what Qrow said. This is a good opportunity for us to hear how Ruby is actually doing and feeling. A scene that focuses only on Ren and Nora should be great as well.

Sure, the hug between Ren and Jaune was nice. But it bothered me a lot that they were the only ones who hugged! RNJR are four friends who have been training, studying and travelling together for over a year. When the time comes to split up, only two people hug each other. The writers could at least let Ruby hug Nora. Or, Nora could have called out for a group hug.

#28 White Raven, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Masticatious likes this.
  9. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

To be fair, Ren was probably the one who needed a hug most in that moment, considering they were touching on a very personal and upsetting subject for him.

STRQWinter likes this.
  10. heavysupportgunsmith

heavysupportgunsmith Well-Known Member

Good lord now i want to recreate the knight weiss summoned in dark souls