1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Vol 4, Ep 9: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Jan 7, 2017.

1. The Supreme One

The Supreme One Well-Known Member

this is more likely.

but the shiny rapidash or nightmare moon have my vote

Aznpride1207 and MechaG11 like this.
  2. shadow22

shadow22 New Member

3. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

Time out

1. What does Yang choosing the White Knight chess piece in Volume I have anything to do with the existence of horse Grimm (either normal horse or the one you mentioned)? It's a chess piece. Nothing more.

2. What is this "Huggin and Muggin" and why do you think it has something to do with Qrow and Raven? And how does this connect to Odin? None of this is right. Qrow and Raven are based upon two characters from the Mabinogion, one of the earliest prose of Welsh mythology, those characters being "Bran the Blessed" (which translates to "Blessed Crow") and his sister "Branwen."

2a. Nora being based on Thor is completely irrelevant.

3. Even if any of this is true, how the hell would humans be able to command and control Grimm? We know from the WoR episode on Grimm that keeping them in captivity is very difficult, bordering on impossible, (unless it's for a very short period of time), and Grimm are wild beasts who answer to no one, so the moment it would be released, it would just as soon turn on its "masters" than do Raven's bidding.

The Supreme One likes this.
  4. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

My biggest complaint is once again the animation. They keep pausing for pointless close-ups and the initial chase scene could've been faster and more intense if they leapt from tree to tree in quick succession rather than acting like a bunch of sugar gliders. Blake could have landed and rolled into a run rather than just flat landing, pausing for that split second and the continuing to run. Can this animation team please get with it already?

As a side note, for what purpose did Illya cut the steam pipe? If it was for concealment so she could get away then she missed the crucial "getting away" part of the tactic. Also Aura durability is really inconsistent. Did Sun's use of his Semblance drain his Aura enough to allow an actual hit? If that's the case his Aura reserve is incredibly low as we've seen others take much more lethal hits after multiple counts of Semblance usage and still go on. It just reeks of plot convenience.

Whew, now that I got that out of my system, I really liked the Xiao Long family scene. Daddy Tai-Yang dishing the lessons and encouraging Yang to rely less on her anger buffs. We're also getting more exposition on Baeven Raven. My girl was a straight-shooter. She's starting to remind me of Esdeath from Akame ga Kill tbh. Except she seems to lack the compassion that Esdeath displayed towards those who served her and towards Tatsumi, whom she had fallen in love with. Unless that's a reveal to come when we actually meet her bandit tribe.

I'd like to apologize to everyone who immediately flagged Whitley as a little shit. I doubted you. It looks like Weiss has had enough of this "privileged" life and she's planning an escape. I'm not sure why Jacques wouldn't be expecting his armed and trained daughter to bust out of the lavish and unsecured mansion after he all but disowned her. I can't wait to see it. Also Papa Klein is best character.

Weiss: "I need a favor" *clearly planning to make like a tree*
    Klein: *nod translates to: "Oh Hell yeah*

Tbh I'd be more pissed at Ren at his refusal to go a potentially easier way than everyone else was. I get that he probably has some issues but the man who can help them in their quest is dying and they can't go through the mountains together but Ren decides to stamp his foot down and leave half of the team carrying the injured guy into dangerous territory while he and Nora go another way. Way to be a team player, Ren.

5. Seitaro

Seitaro New Member

I believe Rooster Teeth just confirmed that we're gonna see change in Yang's fighting style. Before season 4 she was just going all-in aggressive, ignoring any damage taken and not really having any team strategy ( she was Leeroy Jenkins of RWBY ). Right now I think her style will alter to somewhat of controlling the opponents while keeping guard up, forcing enemies to get their full attention towards Yang, so the rest of Yang's team can feel more safe to perform their roles. Basically she's gonna swap from being DPS-Tank to more CC oriented tank with situational damage burst.

I'd actually be really glad to see her safe Ruby in a Last-second Rescue cliche in this season, and see her new fighting style.

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  6. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

That's a bit much to extrapolate from that conversation, and it's too much of a drastic departure from who Yang is. At the end of the day, Yang is still a bruiser, and the strongest hitting member of team RWBY. It's just that now she's not going to be predictable and just charge in recklessly. She'll learn to be more evasive and slightly more analytical, choosing when (and how) to strike her opponents and more importantly, when to back off.

However, she's not one to "control" opponents, implying tactical/analytical superiority in which you force opponents to make the moves you want them to make, so that it ends up leaving them vulnerable. Yang may be trying to fight smarter, but not that smart where fighting becomes a chess match and you're trying to anticipate 5 moves ahead. Instead, the key is more on evasiveness, unpredictability, and picking her moments to strike so that she preserves her defenses and can prolong the fight.

7. heavysupportgunsmith

heavysupportgunsmith Well-Known Member

So we get a minotaur grimm?

8. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Centaur, but more likely, just a horse. Minotaur is a bull.

9. Melkor

Melkor Member

As much as I don't want to admit it, it seems like there might be a real possibility that Qrow could actually die. I wouldn't be surprised if Qrow ends up dying, considering that the mythological character that he is based on also ends up dying in their story. However I still think it's too soon for Qrow to die just yet, because it feels like we've barley gotten to know him. He can't die until we at least learn about his past with Raven and the Tribe.

Considering that Tyrian was also likely planning on capturing Ruby using a similar method, I think it's possible that Tyrian is able to control the dosage and amount of the venom he injects with his tail, much like how snakes and some species of scorpions can in real life. Adult snakes and scorpions are able to control how much venom they can inject into their prey, whereas young snakes and scorpions can't fully control it yet and are likely to inject way too much and dump their whole supply into their prey, which is why it is actually much more dangerous to get bitten or stung by baby snakes and scorpions than adult snakes and scorpions. The adults have the ability to pick and choose whether to inject venom into their prey or not, and whether it will be enough to kill their prey or simply paralyze them, which is very useful because of the fact that they must expend a considerable amount of effort and energy into the production of their venom.

Tyrian was likely planning on just injecting enough venom into Ruby in order to paralyze her, and then when Qrow showed up he decided to go all out and inject him with a lethal dose. Thinking back on it, it probably would have been a smart idea for them to take Tyrian's severed stinger with them before they left. As weird as it way sound, it could actually save Qrow, because they could use the venom in the stinger to make an anti-venom to cure Qrow. That is actually how most anti-venoms are made in real life, by taking a small sample of the venom you were injected with to use in the creation of an antidote.

10. Eights

Eights Well-Known Member

It looks like Ren forgot the golden rule: Bros before Qrows.