1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Volume IV Opening Cinematic

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Oct 22, 2016.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

In the hour or so before the first episode was originally scheduled to air, RT put up the opening cinematic on Facebook, and there's a lot in it.

- First off, we start with the visual representation of RWBY separating to Mistral, Atlas, Patch, and what appears to be Menagerie for Blake instead of Vacuo. Were people wrong about that point earlier?
    - Qrow is still watching over RNJR like he did at the end of Volume III, and yet we see the crow and him in the same shot. Is it not Qrow? Is it Raven? *shrugs*
    - Weiss is cooped up at home honing her skills (and making progress from what it seems), but she's not responding well to the pressures of home life.
    - Blake is on a ship with Sun, and what I'm guessing is her father and brother (or maybe a guy that has a crush on Blake that her father approves of more). Oh, and Papa Belladonna doesn't seem to like Sun very much.
    - Yang is in full PTSD mode with Taiyang trying to get her back on her feet
    - Okay, those guys shown just after Adam look way too ornately dressed to be White Fang members, and they aren't wearing any masks. Another militant Faunus faction?
    - Oh boy, here comes Salem and her Legion of Doom. Notice how we don't see Emerald or Mercury in this shot. That's because this is the big kids table and what we're seeing is SPECTRE levels of villainy where someone as evil as Cinder is just a cog in the overall machine, and that there are other villains at the same level conducting operations elsewhere in the world. But wait, is that a look of remorse I see on Cinder? That doesn't seem right at all. It's certainly not the determination or intimidation that we're used to seeing. What happened?
    - More examples of Blake trying to run away from Adam and struggling, this time in what appears to be the Vacuo desert.
    - RNJR is kicking Grimm ass, and I know it's only one clip, but Jaune seems much more competent as a fighter. And I find it really interesting that in the shot of RNJR here, it's Jaune that is in the forefront. Sure, you could say that Ruby was in the forefront in the very beginning of the video when we first see RNJR and that Jaune being featured at the end is just about balance, but this balance could be representative of Jaune being a central protagonist alongside Ruby and not in the back like Ren and Nora as supporting protagonists.
    - And then we end with a shot of RWBY together on a frozen glacier in what is probably Atlas, so there might be a chance that the story will move from Mistral to Atlas and that this is where they will be reunited.

I haven't had a chance to really listen to the lyrics, though I'll save that analysis for when the soundtrack comes out.

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  2. Demetrion

Demetrion Member

So much teasing. What I liked:
    1. Weiss hones her skill of summoning. I imagine how Knight emerges from the glyph and kneels before his lady to recieve her blessing. And then goes into the battle.
    2. "Blake strikes back".
    3. And Jaune Arc: new and improved. Now with doubled amount of armour. And this waist band...

Last minutes before servers come back online. This is the day.

3. Aznpride1207

Aznpride1207 Well-Known Member

Even though I have to wait an extra day, this clip alone has boosted my morale and got me even more hyped for the first episode
    IMG_0644.JPG

4. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

This opening is anime as f**k and I love it.
    There's a lot of cool imagery here. The two things that struck me the most were the facial expression one of the baddies made (it was anime as f**k) and the scene where Blake pushes herself away from Adam.

One thing noticeable were animation quirks. The models look weird with their heads tilted up at certain angles (Adam attacking Blake). Also Blake's posing and face when she's about to get hit looked particularly cringey and hilariously goofy at the same time.

Also SOOOO many new faces! And they're all anime as f**k!

No comments on the song yet. I'll try to listen to it either during work or afterwards to get a significant opinion about it.

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  5. Fuse

Fuse Active Member

Reminded me a bit of Persona 5.

6. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

New slogan inbound:

"RWBY Volume IV: It's anime as f**k!"

7. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

*Makes note to draw a banner for that*

8. SleepyEskimo

SleepyEskimo Well-Known Member

Something about Adam is off to me, but I couldn't tell...
    1477155361347.png

Attached Files:

SeaOfHope and Buck like this.
  9. Buck

Buck Member

The animation does seem really weird :p hopefully the fight scenes will still look cool in the episode (which I must watch tommorow sadly)

10. SeaOfHope

SeaOfHope Well-Known Member

I'm a sponsor, but I have no idea where to watch the episode. Did they post it yet?

Also, in regards to the art style, it looks really beautiful and stylish. Now I understand what Gray and Kerry meant when they said this is what they envisioned RWBY to look like at NYCC.