1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Majority of OC-Centered Stories are Bad

Discussion in 'RWBY Fandom' started by KineticKaiser, Oct 22, 2013.

1. BlakJakXXI

BlakJakXXI Well-Known Member

I skimmed though bits and pieces, and was already starting to hate that fanfic and the OC. This line in particular was one that genuinely infuriated me to the point I needed to step away for a moment.

"I can take a good fucking guess! It's a classic right?! Killed family members, maybe even in front of you? Friends went missing? Did they hurt you personally? Did they 'make your childhood difficult'?" AJ questioned.

I mean, good god, WTF? Is the author seriously expecting us to side with this guy?

#181 BlakJakXXI, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Eurowatch

Eurowatch Well-Known Member

Yes, or at least I think he is, he mostly seemed to want to write an overpowered Stu for his own sake and because he liked characters like that. Personally, if I wrote a Stu like that I would be all
    [​IMG] and delete it.

3. TetraHunter

TetraHunter Active Member

Ouh, let me count the ways...

My experiences are sparse. I don't visit FF.net much anymore. The only one I can recount was an OC team hanging and mingling with the main cast. It felt rushed/forced and not really written well; pretty much meh. Not the brain suffocating mess ya'll been describing.

Most of my truly horrible experiences predate RWBY, to all the way back to the good old days of Toonami and a bit into Nanoha. OC mains, doing the don'ts and what not. I've lost track of the list of the number of times of loosing faith in my fellow man...or just blacked out. The doctor says I am doing better. The violent urges only come once a day, now.

Edited.

#183 TetraHunter, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. inventor121

inventor121 Active Member

I managed to design a version of Crescent Rose that would work in real life it took about 60 hours but the simulation confirms that it works. It does look out of proportion from Crescent Rose in the series since it's designed to fire .50 BMG rounds in real life so things like an extendable barrel are out of the question and the rear section folds over the top. The real unrealistic weapons are Yang's Ember Celica. Can't figure out for the life of me how those work

Benzie likes this.
  5. Jaxrond

Jaxrond Well-Known Member

Has anyone else ever opened up the proverbial closet of past OC's and found something crawling out that was just like...

[​IMG]

It happened to me not so long ago.
    Found the stuff from Junior High.
    Those were dark days in writing.

6. Oneiros

Oneiros Happy-Go-Lucky Mod of Justice & Love
    Staff Member Admin

Ahahahaha...

Ahaha...

Yeah, maybe.

7. TetraHunter

TetraHunter Active Member

...Whelp, its a good thing I took the proverbial shotgun to the face of said past.

I don't have any of my old works anymore, loosing them to data corruption or wipes. Lets count that as a blessing.

8. Benzie

Benzie Well-Known Member

My luck has always held true: site crashes, hacks, and hardware failures have erased all traces of my past less than stellar authorial decision making... the good news is, I don't have to worry about cringing over my old shit. The bad news is, I still write absolute dreck, so there's no frame of reference for how much I've actually improved.

9. BlakJakXXI

BlakJakXXI Well-Known Member

Whatever memories of past OCs I may have had would have literally nothing more than memories, since I never wrote such stories that could have had them, or put anything on paper, though that'd probably be for the best.

10. Oneiros

Oneiros Happy-Go-Lucky Mod of Justice & Love
    Staff Member Admin

I think my school-aged misadventures were by and large characterised by good prose but horrible choices.

Jaxrond likes this.