1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

World of Remnant: Between Kingdoms

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Nov 11, 2016.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

No episode 4 this week, so instead, since we learned about each of the 4 kingdoms already, we'll now learn about all the spaces in between.

As with before, this will be locked until tomorrow when it airs.

2. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Episode is up. Sorry for the delay

3. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Summary time with Uncle Qrow:

- "What's between the big cities? The easy answer is Grimm." This might be the "No Shit Sherlock" Moment of the Year.

- People choose to live in small towns outside of the protection that cities offer because they either:
    (a) don't like the way the cities are run by the kingdoms
    (b) don't want to deal with the problems that come from living in a city; and/or
    (c) just enjoy a simpler life in the wild

- Just like the kingdoms themselves, small towns succeed if they are strategically located to take advantage of natural geographical barriers, employ some amount of defensive measures, and have its populace at least prepared to fight at the most basic level. Without these, a village would be lucky to survive a year (damn)

- Then there are also bandits, skilled nomadic fighters raiding towns and supply convoys to survive, often attacking when it's weakest, such as at night or while hunters are gone or after a Grimm attack. If the Grimm hadn't attacked already, then a bandit attack would most definitely trigger a Grimm attack. Bandits don't stay in the villages they attack because the Grimm come after them too, so they constantly stay mobile.

- While the entire world of Remnant has been mapped, there are some remote areas that are presently unpopulated because the people that go there, often don't survive (cue ominous thunder and lightning)

My thoughts: what a total waste. Most, if not all, of the pertinent information here are things we already know. They could have done an episode about literally anything else (like Menagerie, or the Great War for example) and it would have been more productive. There probably is no reason at all to watch this one, and that's saying a lot when you take a look at the WoR series as a whole.

4. Mudkip

Mudkip Well-Known Member

Honestly I agree most of it was pretty obvious and was all stuff that I knew about. I would of preferred if they did an episode on the relationships between kingdoms or something like that.

5. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I can't say I hate World of Remnant, but a lot of the time it feels like RT are trying to have their cake and eat it. Theres a reason "world bild small" is advice given to people who are writing stories. You don't have to tell the audience the entire history of the world, just the parts that are relevant to the story. Best example in the original Star Wars trilogy, we aren't told much about the history of the Jedi, or the Galactic Civil War, or how the Empire came into power and many would say the story was better off that way.

That does seem to the same approach RT are trying to take with RWBY (with mixed results). But then WoR comes along and often talks about stuff that's either irrelevant or goes into unnecessary detail stuff that's covered in the story.

6. WillVintage

WillVintage Well-Known Member

The way I see it, I just liken these to the Codex in Mass Effect or Books in skyrim. Not needed to enjoy the story but enjoyable for those who want to know more about the world

That being said, this one was useless.

7. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

The problem is they seem to have this aversion towards it because it's "boring" which is dumb because it's actually necessary. Exposition can be done right as long as you don't kill your pacing or have it delivered bad.

WoR is really just a testament to either their laziness to actually put it in their story or inexperience. WoR really shouldn't exist unless it's like extra tidbits that are interesting (Maidens Wizard Story) but not depended upon for context.

8. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it laziness persia in the world building department. Alot of the stuff in WoR can be inferred, from the series proper. For example Vacuo being poorer than the other Kingdoms and being more faunus acepting, is pretty easy to pick up on in the show if you pay attention. Alot of the other stuff is outright stated in the show, just in less detail. So they actually do go through the effort to put that info on the show proper.

The real reason WoR exists, is to act as filler to give them more time to finish the season. They are trapped in a position, were they have no other choice than to start airing the season before production is finished. While they shouldn't have got themselves in that position to begin with, I can't say I'm mad about them trying to find ways around it, now that they are in that situation.

9. MechaG11

MechaG11 Well-Known Member

I wish they'd do more maiden styled storytelling instead of this stuff though. WoR has always been easily inferred

10. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

WoR as a whole isn't bad. While yes, some things in the show can be inferred, others are assumptions on our part. WoR at least confirms what is true by saying flat out what it is in unequivocal terms.

Should this stuff be in the actual show? Absolutely, but they would never be able to dump all of this info in the same unequivocal terms without it being clunky. I'm sure there are ways to do it more naturally, but that inherently means not just flat out stating things the characters already know for the audience's benefit. They would have to employ other means that CRWBY just hasn't learned yet. For now, WoR will do, but not with an episode line this one that is largely devoid of meaningful info.