1. Hello Guest join the one and only RWBY community to discuss the upcoming RWBY series!
    Dismiss Notice

World of Remnant: Schnee Dust Company

Discussion in 'RWBY Episode Discussions' started by AceofAces, Dec 17, 2016.

1. AceofAces

AceofAces Impyrrial Admin at Law, Esq.
    Staff Member Admin

2. Cybuster

Cybuster Well-Known Member

Honestly the story of Nicholas and how he founded the company is the kind of stuff WoR should be about, it's some genuinely interesting information that isn't really relevant to the main story, meaning it isn't necessary for the series proper.

The stuff about Jac should be (and if this volume's other WoRs are any indication, probably will be) revealed in the series proper. But the problem is thanks to the WoR that info won't have the proper impact if it's revealed in the show.

There does seem to be a bit of a plot hole though, the Schnee's rep for being greedy scumbags dosn't make a lot sense, when there is only one greedy scumbag among them and he only married into the family.

That being said Jac is apparently an even bigger scumbag then we thought he was.

3. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

- "The Schnee Dust Company: bunch of self-entitled, monopolizing S.N.O.Bs, who only care about making a profit no matter how many little people they have to step on to make it happen." Gee Qrow, why don't you tell us how you really feel? XD (And I seriously thought he was going to call them SOBs).

- There was a time when you could buy Dust without the SDC Snowflake stamped on it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

- Nicholas Schnee was the son of a Dust miner turned soldier, born just after the Great War, and found himself in place to take advantage of the next Industrial Revolution. At the time, Mantle was on the forefront of developing many advanced technologies, but they severely depleted their natural resources in the process. Rather than sit back and watch Mantle become dependent upon the resources of other kingdoms, Nicholas devoted his time to study, including combat, and his knights worked alongside his father in what was left of Mantle's mines. When his father died, he left what little he had to Nicholas, who then left school, gathered up what men he could, and set out to find a new Dust deposit, and actually succeeded.

- Nicholas spent so much time in combat school so that he could personally lead every expedition across the globe for new Dust deposits and be able to handle the dangers of the wilderness. This in turn lead to many people respecting the Schnee name, and his products became associated with quality and affordability, thereby earning the business of every kingdom in Remnant.

- However, Nicholas' health deteriorated from working in the mines, and he retired early to spend his last days with his family. Then, his son-in-law, Jacques Julle (I think that's how it's spelt), takes over the company, having married Nicholas' daughter (Weiss' mother), and taking the Schnee name as his own. Jacques Schnee was a cunning businessman (but also a dick), yet the SDC was more profitable than ever under his leadership, but at the cost of the honor and goodwill Nicholas established due to Jacques' use of cheap labor, dangerous working conditions, and monopolization practices.

- "Jacques Schnee does't care about people; he cares about winning." (Pretty interesting that it's less about money per se and more about winning).

- "The Schnee name may still mean something today (due to Jacques' PR team), but what it'll mean tomorrow......" Nice bit of Weiss foreshadowing.

All in all, I didn't hate this one as much as I thought I would, particularly because of what we learned about Nicholas Schnee. As much as we would have liked for this stuff to have been explained in the show itself, I actually don't think the show would have touched upon this level of detail. Why? Because Weiss already knows who her grandfather is, what he stands for. It's the very reason that she's trying to redeem the SDC, and described it very early on as "my grandfather's company." Not her "family's" or her "father's," but instead her "grandfather's."

For someone to sit Weiss down and tell her all of these things that she already knows would be clunky and do the overall narrative a disservice. On the flip side, again, with the Schnee name being so well known, other people (particularly old employees from the beginning) might know something about Nicholas generally, to the point where having Weiss be the exposition vehicle would be a bit of a case of rehashing information for these people. Conversely, if they don't know anything, would they really care if they are either (a) the self-absorbed elite who only focus on themselves, or (b) the lowly working class who only know of Jacques' business practices?

My only hope for next week is that the episode doesn't waste its time telling us the things about Nicholas Schnee that we just learned today, so that WoR can actually do the job it was intended to do: bring the audience up to speed about something in the WoR so that the episode doesn't have to stop and address this gap of knowledge between what the characters in the show already know, and what we as the audience don't know.

I would imagine this would be done by Weiss having a conversation with Klein. Klein starts to talk about Nicholas and Weiss butts in and says how she already knows what kind of man her grandfather was, and how what's going on is not what he wished would happen. It's a more natural response from Weiss to save Klein the trouble of telling her things she already knows, and alluding to the things that we now know from this WoR now that we're both on the same page. And then the narrative can continue along naturally instead of trying to shoehorn exposition in as it did in the past before this Volume when they were testing out the concept of WoR.

4. AceofAces

Staff Member Admin

Therein lies the rub, I suppose. Appearances can be deceiving. Everyone in the show made assumptions about Weiss because of her name, and that really isn't the case. And it underscores just how much damage Jacques is doing because he really isn't a true representation of what the Schnees are really about as a family. But with Jacques being the head of the household, his conduct is what sets the bar for how the family is viewed.

And the reputations of the other members of the family are adversely impacted as a result, prompting those like Weiss and Winter to focus on combat study as a way of returning the concepts of honor and service to the Schnee name, or those like Weiss' mother to sink into an alcohol-induced depression.

Aznpride1207 and STRQWinter like this.
  5. heavysupportgunsmith

heavysupportgunsmith Well-Known Member

I like these wor videos it would be better if we actually got a episode tho but im okay with it
    I just hope the fanbase doesnt charge at roosterteeth with torchflamethrowers and gunpitchforks

6. Demetrion

Demetrion Member

It was nice, informative and all... But it wasn't necessary. Back in V2, during the mission in Mt.Glenn, Weiss said, that after her father's take over of SDC things have changed to worse. "Moral gray area" and all that stuff. So we alredy knew it. Now, thanks to this ep. of WoR, we know how and why it did happen. Again: it was nice and informative, but I would like to see Qrow fighting and not narrating today. And while this WoR contains useful backstory details which undoubtedly will be useful and important somwhere down the line, it wasn't necessary to upload it today instead of actual episode. Also, it was pretty obvious (and many had called it) that Jaques Schnee (am I the only one who keep hearing his name as "Jackass"?) was married into Schnee family. His "nouveau riche" attitude gives him from mile away. He is your stereotypical "nothing personal, it's just a buisness" buisnessman and effective manager.
    P.S. Seven, seven WoR's against six actual episodes. Talk about overkill. One WoR each 3 or 4 episodes back in V2&3 was okay and balanced. This? This is madness! (c)

7. Chellote

Chellote Active Member

The WoR are divisive because of the way they are handled. There is no set schedule and unlike this one, the pre volume kingdoms ones, and the Maiden story one, they usually preemptively tell us something that we learn in the next episode. Personally, I don't mind the WoR all that much but this being the 3rd in one in 6 weeks is really grinding the gears when there has been typically four a season.

Anyway, in regards to this WoR in particular, I called Jacques being outside the family with having a French name and black hair in his youth. Though the Schnees being from the line of "Saint Nicholas" was something I did not expect, so kudos for that.

Aznpride1207 likes this.
  8. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

This topic didn't need a WoR.

9. Terra125

Terra125 Member

Well I'm okay with this week being a WoR and not an episode this time around because tomorrow I'm going out for the day to celebrate Christmas early with the family. I don't want to be like "Damn I wish I could watch RWBY right now." throughout the entire day lol, especially with the fight between Qrow and Tyrian about to go down.

10. KineticKaiser

KineticKaiser Baeven
    Staff Member Admin

I'm actually getting heated now. We got left at an exciting cliffhanger last week and then they dump a WoR that objectively did not need to be made on us.